Watering using fish tank water

Not really a aquaponic question but seems like the aquaponic crew would have the answer. My hubby has a hundred gallon tank with Dempsey and a few other fish in it, it runs on a fluval 5 stage filter with mech which is a micro organism filter he uses almost zero chemicals except a chlorine remover at water change, when he changes the water he drains about a third of tank, it’s a lot of water , thoughts about watering my outdoor plants with it ?

2 Likes

I do it all the time, they love it during veg. Stage. I have a 50 gal, 40gal and a small 50 gal plastic pond outside. I have used there water on indoor plants and outdoor plants, no negative results, good luck , ohh I forgot I don’t water everyday with it maybe once a week, I use Aqurium water as a substitute for store bought fertilers, but I also grow organic which means I don’t feed my plants, I feed my soil, by adding fish water im adding microbes to my soil, which help breakdown food and make it easier for plant roots to absorb it. @Chinacat

8 Likes

@Chinacat here’s one plant that has had nothing but aqurium water and mollasses, she’s 3 inches short of 3ft

aqurium water adds microbes, molasses is microbe food, microbes poops out good food source for plants, the soil food web in action , hope this helps you out my friend

7 Likes

Thanks @Mrcrabs, I Will definelty water with the run off next time he changes out the water, I figured as much since he normally drains out the window onto our back lawn and that part of the lawn is the best looking patch we have, I wanted advice though since you can’t be to careful with the ladies :grin:

4 Likes

No problem, check your ppms and ph before hand. To make sure they ain’t to out of range. Good luck @Chinacat

3 Likes

I was just getting ready to ask the same thing? Seems like I found a source of fertilizer or plant food.
My Dempsey poo should do them well I’m told. @Chinacat thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Something smells fishy…:fish:

5 Likes

If you vacuum your tank, the microbes you extract from the tank; your plants are going to love it.

2 Likes

Used my tank water twice. Plants loved it.

2 Likes

Fish tank water is all I water with. Works great. The plants especially love it when I vacuum to tank. Gives a great boost of nitrogen.

2 Likes

My friend who I turned on to this site is bringing me 2 gallons of water he vacuumed off the bottom of his tank,my question is, I’ve been using Robert’s fertilizers,will I be giving my auto’s too much nitrogen if I continue with the fertilizer?

2 Likes

Back in 2014 I had a beautiful set up. In a room I build a tank with plexiglass. It was 6’x6’. And 18’ high. I had a american alligator in it. It ate fish. So there was also fish in the tank "sometimes":smile: And it was messy. That’s y I came up with this system. I put plants n top of it. And grew on top. It had a access window on top.I would pump out water and water my plants and every week apx. I’d put water back in. The gator did great. He loved the heat. The plants did great as he created co2 and great poop water that feed the plants. It was a great system for all. But the :fish:. Unfortunately I gave the gator away cause he got to big and he got a nice new home in a pond. And I say unfortunately because what happened to him in the pond wasnt a happy ending of the story. But point is this plants grew like crazy!!! So to give the aquarium water. Absolutely. But u will have to feed some other nutrients.

2 Likes

And if one doesn’t own a tank. I certain I saw someone selling fish crap in a store, lol.

Kills me.

1 Like

Brilliant…… thanks for this topic!

2 Likes

Sorry so late but it shouldn’t hurt anything. I tend to go easy on fertilizers so I haven’t had any issues with watering with vacuumed fish tank water.

2 Likes