Trichomes vs pistils

So I am sure this has been gone over but figured I would throw it out there seen as a lot of people are harvesting. So I have read that when the pistils turn fully brown it is to full maturity also have read that when you get a % of amber trichomes it is mature. I recently just harvested and went by the color of the pistils were totally brown and could only see milky trichomes with a loop. Now I read once the pistils turn completely brown then it is time to harvest and if you don’t you loose potency. So this confuses me a bit because I wasn’t able to see much of any amber trichomes but didn’t want to start loosing potency. What is your opinions on when to harvest?

4 Likes

Well, I’m going to go by appearance of trichomes.

I had a White Widow last spring that gave every appearance of being done with all amber pistils. But it was 3 weeks early. As I was wondering whether to chop it down it started pushing new bud growth. I ended up waiting, and split the harvest with the lower second harvest being the best bud I have.

9 Likes

Totally the trichomes, but it depends what you are looking for, generally it’s thought that you want anywhere from a 30%-50% ratio of amber trichomes to milky, the more amber the more couch lock, but it’s definitely not down to the pistils and like I say it’s more about what you are looking for

2 Likes

@Smokin_ernie

Pistils are the first indicator but the triches will be more indicative of the type of high you’ll get.

3 Likes

@Smokin_ernie, The more amber trichomes are, more CBN and less THC it will have.

CBNa is the product of THCa degradation and give the amber colors to trichomes and give a more couchlock effects and CBN is less potent that THC.

It really depend on what effects you’re searching for and needs, like @daz49 mention :+1::ok_hand::wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @Niala I was really tempted to tag you in on this one, @Smokin_ernie now my good friend @Niala is here you’ll be in professional hands

1 Like

@daz49, Professional hands :sweat_smile:, I will not go that far, but I know a thing or two :wink:

1 Like

Yeah you do, more than a thing or two but definitely spot on with the trichomes discussion 10 outta 10 in my book :wink: ,how long have you been growing @Niala

2 Likes

latewood Majiktoker Dumme Hogmaster and Donaldj are the professionals on this site, I am only a member like you, @daz49,

However, I will take this as a compliment and I thank you very much :smile::wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: my friend :grinning: :+1:

I am only growing cannabis fo about 1 and half year (1failed, and 2 succesful growth :wink:) but I have a solid gardening experience’s and have studied in applied ecology and bioecology…

Ôôôô, and I have done a lots of research and reading, from this site and other’s, on cannabis :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah I know the professionals on the site and it was a compliment, I’ve only been growing since March, I’ve had 2 successful grows, never even tried to grow anything before but I did plenty of homework, so I’d definitely still say you know enough to be a good grower,specially on this subject

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind word, @daz49 :+1::grinning::wink::innocent:

3 Likes

No worries, credit given, where it’s due a

2 Likes

Thanks @Niala @daz49 @Ray4x @Myfriendis410 well time to practice a little more patience and let them rippen a bit more. They were definitely milky from what I could see through a loop. So far what I have smoked has been good.

4 Likes

You have to be careful with pistils. You generally wouldn’t use them as a harvest indicator, but more of what the buds are doing. If you’re still seeing a ton of white pistils, that’s usually a sign that the buds are still packing weight. Over time the earlier ones will turn brown, but more white will appear. When you start to see this slowing down is a good indicator to start monitoring trichs.

5 Likes