T5 lights germination to harvest?

So I have a 4 bulb t5 light coming in a couple days for my first grow. I have been reading about the different types of lighting and switching lights from veg to flower. So I saw on amazon checking out replacement bulbs and found t5 3000k bloom. Would it be worth getting these and switching at the time of flowering? Can’t afford any kind of new lights but can afford some bulbs.

1 Like

Everyone makes a big stink about lights. Yes some lights are better. But yes you can buy the 3000k bulbs. Onething to understand. The amout of lumes or lux represents yeild. More of a tight dense buds. If you say train a plant to be bushy and 10 to 12 inches tall . Then switch bulbs you will be fine. The big leaves on the plants are like batteries. The more light or lume or lux however you may say. The more food for later to be turned into energy to grow. Hence more lumes bigger buds. But just be happy with what u get from the 1st experience with thoes lights. Then adapt. Have fun good luck.

3 Likes

Hey @Smokin_ernie I would put two bulbs at 6500 k and two bulbs at 3500 k and utilize both spectrums if I was you… 6500 K Spectrum keeps your plants healthy and bushy While the 3500 k Spectrum Usher’s it into flour , puts out more lumens and will help all around with the final product …

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks guys! Great info. I will be ordering those bulbs and give it a go. My space will hold one plant comfortable so the more yield I can get the better.

@Smokin_ernie ,

I know you don’t have a lot to work with. But I hope you find this helpful.

Fluorescent light is fine for the growing stage but flowering plants really need more intense HID light. If fluorescents are your only choice choose alternate rows of “Cool White” and “Warm White” bulbs and place them only a few cm’s away from your plants.

Marijuana grow lights

The purpose of this FAQ is to help limit the spread of misinformation regarding effective artificial lighting systems, and help those who choose to grow marijuana plants under artificial lighting make an informed decision before buying a grow lamp.

Most of the information comes from printed sources, and some from electronically distributed files. Though information also comes from a network of experienced growers who have tried various types of marijuana lighting.

This FAQ is not going to tell you how to use your lamp, that information can be found in most grower’s guides.

Introduction

There are three major types of lighting systems available right now for growing marijuana:incandescent, fluorescent, and high intensity discharge. Incandescent lights are horribly inefficient (especially the screw-in “grow bulb” type) and really not an acceptable option for marijuana plant growth. Although they are inexpensive to purchase, their cost of operation makes them the costliest source of light. Therefore avoid at all costs.

Fluorescents

Until the early 1980’s most indoor marijuana growers used fluorescent lights to illuminate their garden. These tubes have tremendous advantages over incandescents. They emit about 3 times as much light as an incandescent (given the same wattage), and the light spectrum is one that plants con use more effectively.

However, they do certainly have their limitations. Light is emitted over a large area, so it is not concentrated. Because of this, the lights have to be hung very close to the plants, and constantly moved to accommodate plant growth. This makes garden maintenance rather difficult. Marijuana plants can often grow very quickly increasing the times the lamps need raising. To add to this, in the flowering period, fluorescsent lights are not effective making them a poor choice for lighting marijuana plants.

Fluorescents are, however, very useful in cloning, and starting seedlings. Because in these stages, a plant is not growing vertically very quickly, the disadvantages of moving the lights are reduced. They also put out a more gentle light than the HID lamps, and release less heat.

If you choose to use fluorescents, it is best to purchase the ‘cool white’ variety or a mix. The ones that are sold as grow lamps (including grow-lux, vitalite, etc.) are much less efficient than a standard fluorescent, and just do not put out enough light to be useful. The slightly different spectrum produced by these lamps does nothing for most plants.

Will

3 Likes

Thanks for the information! I learning new things every time I come on here.