Stretch - based on total mass or height?

So, I will preface my question with the aknowledgment that I understand each strain has varying stretch amounts. That being said, when the photoperiod plants switch to flower and begin their stretch, does the ultimate end size of the plant depend on plant height or mass. For instance, if I mainline or keep the plant height low through LST, the height from floor to plant top will be much smaller than if you stretched the branches all the way up without the training. A 12 inch plant could have 20 inch branches that have been manipulated to stay short. So, in this scenario, if this particular strain is known to double during stretch, would I assume the plant will end up 24 inches tall or more like 40 inches tall? Or am I overthinking it? I appreciate the help!

1 Like

@Budbrother @Zee @Cannabian I don’t know if any of you folks know the answer, but you are the only members here I am familiar with, so I tagged you. Sorry to bother you if this isn’t your cup of tea.

1 Like

@Hellraiser…I am trying to wrap my head around work at moment, I think I understand your question. Just not experienced or enough research to answer it.

I think it comes down to genetics, but certainly when you manipulate it’s natural growth, it causes an affect. In detail that would difference in the plants DNA

2 Likes

Environment will be another role, I would think has an affect.

Also topping a plant too…

1 Like

@MSgator1981.
During the first 3-4 weeks from 12/12 switch , the plant will put on a massive growth phase to give itself the best chance for pollination.
(More flowers )

Every branch tip will grow longer irregardless of how it is trained. Be it up , down , or sideways.
So if the branch is 10 inches long at the start of 12/12 then 3-4 weeks later the same branch could be up to 30 in long. I know that’s a stretch but you get the idea. More than likely be 20 in tho.
:v:

1 Like

bud size is pretty consistent no matter how large the plant grows, to a degree. Case in point this plant has loads of decent sized buds and they would have been about the same size on a 3 foot plant but obviously this plant is not 3 feet

If you magnify the image you can see the buds better but they would be similar on a 6 foot tall plant. Central colas on an un ut plant tend to be very long though.

I am curious because I have a finite amount of height, my light only goes up so high. I don’t want to get caught off guard and have a plant that’s too tall. I will just flip it when I have filled half of the square footage and then keep training outwards with a scrog.

2 Likes

If you leave 2 feet for buds you should be good. Its one of the reasons that Led are nicer the hid because the fixtures take up less space. Space is always a big issue indoors.

1 Like

Also if you have extremely limited space height wise, you may want to consider cloning a mother plant and growing sea of green style. Lots of small plants that flower super early because they are already mature as clones. Just plant them and flip them , each plant will make a cola, so you plant lots of them. Turn around time is very fast. You can actually crank out a lot of weed this way.

Stretch will be based on strain (sativas stretch way more than hybrids which stretch more than indicas) and whether the main stem has been cut more than anything else, a 1 main stem plant (not topped, natural xmas tree) will stretch a lot more than a plant that’s been topped. Topping and training really cuts down on the stretch, even with sativas.

2 Likes

I jack my light up and measure down 20”
Then measure plant pot height and mark
Measure and mark half way point of both (flip height)

Supercrop, LST, SCROG or whatever to keep below that flip height, but once you reach that mark, flip that shit. Supercrop in conjunction with adjusting light height or outputs levels to keep plants happy if you see foxtailing

1 Like

I appreciate the response. I didn’t have a problem estimating height after stretch on my current grow, but I am planning on doing even more training on my next grow, and the height of my tent will be 72 inches, less the height requirement of the light and pot. So, I just need to be cognizant of it. I am a measure twice, cut once type of person.

1 Like