SPIDER MITES! I think

Here are some better pics of the flyers. Still not the best.

So I bought one of these hillbilly things and it started catching things in like 2 minutes.

This is what it caught. 2 or three if them… and unfortunately a spider. COW

Fungus Gnats and the babies are larvae in the soil and wriggle about pretty quick. Those guys need to two pronged+ remedy - babies and flyers and you have 3 measures going on, sticky trap, DE and BT. The 4th is the soil being too wet at the top, so let it dry out at least until 2nd knuckle deep before next watering. Looks like you might have gotten some houseflys in the trap too.

1 Like

The house flies are just graphics on the tubes.

1 Like

The little clearish bugs/larvae do not look like fungus gnate larvae. Looks like aphids… maybe root aphids.

Maybe I have both.

Yes could very well be. Aphids are usually pear shaped from my experience with them even when small. The fungus gnats are larvae(worms) when babies and then tiny flyers that seem to just hustle about the top of the soil before flying about…

I treat for them and spider mites when I don’t have them as a preventative: I’ve had them more times than i can count - out of nowhere.
My prob is I work in a huge veggie garden and likely bring them in on myself/clothes.

Most bagged peat based soils including FF I have ever used, they are in it already whether from the mfr. or in storage at the retailer

2 Likes

I just can’t help but think they are aphids because of their legs
However in my experience with the aphids around here they are mainly plant based and seeing the flying ones is much more rare …
So I may have had different aphids than you do …especially since you see them in the soil …

1 Like

So I put about 1/2 a cup of the Mosquito Bits in and watered a couple of days ago… some of the Buts are getting fuzzy. Should I do something about this? Is this an item to be concerned about?

Mosquito Bits did not reduce the little crawlers one bit… no pun intended.

@Lacewing any ideas?

I’m gonna phone a friend ….because he would know more than I for sure @oldmarine

1 Like

I have not tried to use those myself as I don’t have an issue ….YET !!!
Lol but I am sure I’m gonna cross this bridge eventually…so I’m gonna hang along for the ride

I don’t use that. I do treat my rainwater with a similar treatment. That in turns goes into the soil. I add nematodes to my soil builds (new this year). So far my gnat problem seems solved.

The growth concerns me. I would remove them and try mixing the bits with water (?)…

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion ….I must have mixed up someone else or maybe you were also in the conversation on those …I know afterwards I was googling nematodes…lol

Sometimes mushrooms will grow out of the mosquito bits but they’re harmless. It’s ground up corn cob mushrooms grow in it as it breaks down

You can soak the bits in water then use that when you water/feed.

1 Like