Setting up a grow tent for winter

I have grown quite successfully outdoors. I am now planning to set up a grow tent “kit” in an unheated shed with plexiglass roof. Great for setup but I do get some very cold weather on occasion. My question is do I need a heater in addition to the exhaust fan system?

1 Like

Oh yeah! I would honestly love to know what others think on this but I’ve contemplated this many times and here is where I fell. Even if I could create an optimal envioronment when lights are on once the lights go out the girls will freeze. So…someone else may have some tips but I’d say consider getting a tent and putting it in your house.

2 Likes

Temps need to be maintained between 60F and 85F for optimal growth.

1 Like

Are you planning to use a light?

Yes but the tent will be inside an unheated shed. It can occasionally get quite cold here so I think I will get a heater for peace of mind. Thanks for the advice from all.

I use a seedling heat pad connected to an Inkbird temp controller. I have it sitting upright in the back of my tent and it works great. Normally comes on about 10 minutes after lights off.

1 Like

Using an hps/mh setup would provide some extra heat.

1 Like

Welcome ! lights should have you in the comfort zone as far as heat when lights are on when lights are off you’re going to need some Heat. Personally I think I would grow autos and leave the lights on 18/6 start to finish and you only need to worry about 6 hours of heat. Just my thoughts good luck.

2 Likes

Very cold to me is -20. Are you talking 40-50 and supplemental heat will keep temps where it needs to be. Possibly enclose and insulate the tent area?

1 Like

Or 20/4

1 Like

Lol. I am atop a 3000’ mountain in the Great Smoky Mtns. Have been down to -5 in the past but that is very unlikely. More concerned about 20 and unheated shed than most anything.

2 Likes

@AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie good point that’s 2 hours less time to worry about heat.

1 Like

Sounds like you are going to need a few sheets of rigid foil faced insulation.
The closest point to me is about 30 miles away with a whopping elevation of 1300 feet. I am at about 800 when we don’t have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground.