Seeds in Rockwool

Arrived at destination in Arizona. Checking in on the plants remotely - I can tell the res temp is too high but there’s not a lot I can do about it except ask the mother in law to put a frozen gal of water in the res. I’m gonna wait until the morning tomorrow to make the request if necessary, because I don’t really want to ask her to be putting it back in the freezer multiple times if I can avoid it. 71 is lower than it has been historically, so the chiller is at least doing something.

I’m thinking I’m gonna get a larger water block (120mm instead of 40mm) and slap one more pelt block on the assembly. Three chilling units and a larger squiggle chamber (what’s the actual word? It’s eluding me) for the water to travel through should help out with lowering the temps even more. I think the water pump is the culprit for generating all the excess heat.

I wish I would have put the second camera in the 4x3. Wish I could see those babies! Haha.

2 Likes

Water temps stable at 71.5°, I’m just gonna ride it out. I know that’s with lights on and sun out, so I have some confidence at night it’ll drop back down into the 60s.

Last night I added aeration tubing to each of the buckets and more to the main res, so the water should be thoroughly oxygenated - with any luck that’ll keep the bad growth at bay until I get back and get to add on more to the chiller.

I’ve been perusing WeedMaps for stuff in the area and came to the conclusion that I’m like an hour away from anything worthwhile. Apparently the one rec dispensary in this town is fully aware they’re the only one within 45 minutes so prices look like $35-60 a gram. WILD.

In better news, there’s a Snoop Dogg OG clone on my travel back that I’m absolutely going to detour for and my wife is supportive :rofl: haha.

Midnight (okay. 4am) update:
Water temps are down again, so I’m confident the pelt block is doing something. I’ve ordered up 2 more pelt modules and a 80mm water block so I can essentially rig up something twice as long with 4x cooling chips - assuming I can lay it sideways and suck all the heat out from the hot side of all 4. Otherwise I’m just going to use the 2 strongest of the 4 chips and return the 2 weak links - quality control is essentially nonexistent on them, so no big loss If I have to use 2x decent ones at the end of the day. They’ll be there on Thursday, so I’ll be using my trusty gallon of frozen water til then to keep my daytime temps sub-70 when I get back.

The girls are asleep, and OG is taking off like she hasn’t got a care in the world. She’s officially grown taller than the camera.

2 Likes

Lights back on, water temps back up. Nearly 73°. The chiller seems to be holding steady between 72-73, I have an alarm set to tell me if it goes above 74° so I can have the MIL put the frozen gallon of water in the res if needed.

The girls look happy from what I can see. No sad drooping. Anxious to know what the 4x3 is doing but since it’s on a 6/2 light schedule I don’t want to make the MIL go look in on them when she wouldn’t be able to snap photos anyway. I’ll be back tomorrow night and I’m sure with the exception of some of the seedlings, no one is gonna die from lack of attention.

1 Like

Is this separation anxiety? Haha. Oh boy.

Girls are sleeping and OG is DEFINITELY taller. Lemon Tree is bushing out. Gettin’ SO NERVOUS that she’s going to stretch and outgrow the tent. I already KNOW I need to move the HLG up higher than it is because she must be within 12” of the light now. I’m detouring to Cali for some cheap cheap pre-ground flower, then passing back across I40 to grab that Snoop clone on the way home. Still SO pumped that’s available on the route.

3 Likes

Update time and it’s gonna be a Big one.

I’m home from the trip to Arizona. I think I got back JUST IN TIME. OGesus turned out to be a man - full blown male auto - so that’s some bad odds for a fem seed. That’s okay. He got bagged and trashed. RIP.

Gelato seems to be unaffected entirely, so I got to OG before any pollen was released. Her roots are still in sore shape but they seem to be holding up okay considering. She’s tiny but smelly.

Lemon Tree is starting to show preflower signs about a week after being flipped to 12/12. I think she needs a good defol now. And more water. She’s nearly dry after 3 days - yeesh.

In the other tent, I’m virtually certain Super Skunk hermied (refer to my post where I said that would happen)
Im somewhat tempted to just grow it out anyway since the pollen won’t affect anyone - I only have vegging plants in here and I know I need to rinse them all before letting them flower, just in case. On the other hand, if I’m gonna have nothing but seeds that produce hermies, there’s no point. It’s maybe 6” tall, not a loss of much smokable bud.

Lemon Tree Jr. is doing suspiciously well. Like I’m suspecting her of ALSO being male (since she came from a reg seed that wouldn’t be unlikely). I sort of want to move her into the 4x4 and see what sex she shows me. Worst case it’s also trash, best case I have two lemon trees to harvest. I have 5 LT clones in okay shape at the moment so I can risk the seed I think.

My new contenders:
Blueberry Auto

LT Clone 1

The rest of the LT Clones, and a Frosted Jungle clone I picked up in Flagstaff on the way home.

And then the assorted rest of the ragtag assembly of seeds I threw in to the mix a while ago. Guessing the light is still not enough at 50% (because 50 watts for 7 plants is a bit of a joke I suppose)

2 Likes

Alrighty. I reorganized plants. I’ve moved Lemon Tree Jr (from seed) into the 4x4, largely because I have no way to remove the extra bucket from the RDWC and she’s just about ready for flower anyhow. Plenty large enough.
Gelato is still trucking. Super Skunk got moved to a different room in the house. She’ll be on daylight via open window only, so who knows how she’ll fare.

Lemon tree is getting big and bushy. Did I mention I need to defol? Cuz I think I do. I’m not mentally equipped to handle a scrog net but I am seriously not sure she’ll support her own weight without one. We’ll see.

Pistil City. Counting my blessings on this one.

And lemon tree jr.

The 4x4 full shot, including my reconfigured HLG to include a BSpec board (I know I know). It’s at 50% power because it was running my tent up to about 85° on full power. Going to need to buy more wire to set all my drivers outside the tent. I used wagos this time so I can migrate it easily, and a 9 foot power cord.

I also got the 4x3 organized (loosely).
Lemon Tree clones:

My 4 vegging girls (plus one- I need to get her some space and good lord guys I need another light.)

And the poor gal who needs a bucket:

And last but not least, seedling city.
Alpujarreña auto:

Critical 2.0 auto (looking in rather poor shape)

Purple Urkle, soil edition:

My White Lavender, also looking rather worse for wear. Fingers crossed.

And “the White OG” aka the always dying ones.

And lastly, a full shot of all the nonsense going on in here:

Anyhow. It’s all situated for now. I am of a mind to get a bar light for vegging the clones and seedlings til they’re able to graduate into hydroton or fabric pots. Anyone have any recs? My space is 12”x36” (so sadly the Saber won’t fit, I checked.)

2 Likes

Today the water in the 4x4 is running hot even with the chiller running full force. I’m concerned about potentially having killed the water pump (the water levels may have dropped low enough that the bucket with the pump in it is just trying to pump mostly empty, and is consequently running way hot). I also KNOW I need to get both my Meanwell drivers OUT of my tent. The KingBrite driver brought my tent temps up a bit, but I’ve got a second one now running the HLG BSpec. Shouldn’t be too much heat but combined with all the extra light and heat from the LEDs directly, I suspect I’m overpowering what my tent can take with the 2 little desk fans and my 6” duct.

Tonight after work I’ll grab a few rolls of 12 gage copper wiring and get those drivers relocated with the original Meanwell.

Parts for the larger water chiller assembly should be with me on Thursday so I should only be juggling frozen gallons of water for a little while longer. :skull:

1 Like

Here’s Lemon Tree all fluffed up, she must be loving the extra LED panel in the tent. She SMELLS today. My wife yelled that she could smell the tent open from the living room. Amazing for me, not the best for her (causes headaches, yet another reason I’m counting my lucky stars she’s supportive of this hobby)

She took 2.5 gallons of water this time to even start giving me runoff - I seriously let her dry out (wild, it’s only been 5 days). I’ll mark the calendar for Saturday Water & feed.

I’m not at all sure what’s causing my water temps to spike so bad, but I added a whole bunch of RO ice water to my reservoir (about 2 gallons) and it’s back to being able to self-mitigate temps. I may have been right that the water pump was working double time. It’s also 85° in my tent which stresses me out but I know it’s actually pretty optimal for the plants so I need to shut up and just let it be warm.

Chiller “extension kit” arrives in two days (but who’s counting?) so woes should be resolved then.

Gelato is frosty frosty. But her roots are in mediocre shape at best, so we’ll see how the buds stack.

2 Likes

I feel like I should be making an actual grow journal for Round 2. I almost know what I’m doing. :rofl:

My seedlings are looking nitrogen deprived - so are my clones I think.

Clone 1 - growing her out:

Clones 2, 3, 4, and 5 - gonna let them veg and hopefully keep small in the solo cups. They got some foliar spray so that’s what’s up with the residue on the leaves:

Auto Blueberry, looking kinda hungry:

Frosted Jungle (clone in rockwool), also showing me… some kind of deficiency?

Purple Urkle from a reg seed, looking wee.

Auto Alpujarreña, even smaller than Urkle.

Critical Auto 2.0 - idk about this one guys she looks like she’s praying for the good lord to take her away. She also has no cots, they essentially shriveled and fell off with her seed.

The White OG, fem. looking similar:

Alpujarreña auto #2 soil edition.

My prized White Lavender fem, doing… uh… she’s figuring it out. :joy:

Purple Urkle #2, soil edition.

And lastly, the sole surviving GDPxGumberry auto… also… err. Figuring it out.

2 Likes

In the 4x4:

Lemon Tree is looking GOOD. Flower is in full force now.

LT Jr is bushing out but no sex yet.

And Gelato is stacking up nicely considering she’s like… 12” tall. No clue when to start looking at trics but her pistils are starting to brown a little in spots.

She smells good but I have zero idea what I’m doing.

Oh! And my straggler seed I threw into a cup on top of the heatsink because it’s so hot up top I figured it may encourage her to pop. LOL.

3 Likes

Won’t be around to see lights on for the girls this morning. I’m anxious about LT Jr developing into a male - it’s my only LT seed, the rest are all clones of the one who’s flowering nicely.

My water res is still running hot but today is the day I get all the parts for the enlarged water chiller (another $60, maybe by the time I have two full blown chillers for both tents I’ll be approaching the $220 an IceProbe would have cost. Lol. Why are they so ridiculously expensive?)

This is the temp after 3 frozen water bottles (I’m gonna throw in a frozen gallon in about 45 minutes on my way out the door for work)

After reading a bunch of stuff from @Hellraiser I’ve ditched the domes on exactly half of my seedlings - namely the couple of extra wonky growers - we’ll see if that straightens them out. If they seem improved in a couple days I’ll toss the remaining 3 domes and be on my merry way.

Gonna call it now that Critical 2.0 just dies off though, it looks sad and weak like the genetics just suck. Ah well - live and learn.

3 Likes

She’s a monster! I can’t even see LT Jr behind her on camera anymore
Gonna need to rearrange some stuff so I can actually see what’s going on in there.

I can’t wait to get home and get cracking on the new chiller.

2 Likes

Finally! I have all the parts for the chiller, minus the thermal paste and a second power cord. Naturally that means I hit up Best Buy for some thermal paste that is very likely a significantly better quality than Amazon was about to send me. I also may or may not have stuffed all the fan wires into the original power supply. I’m actually not all that concerned because it’s rated for substantially higher than I’ve got plugged into it. I’ve dipped from 71.5 to 70.7 in the past couple of minutes. I have the original chiller wired up and pumping into the larger chiller. Once my power cord arrives tomorrow I’ll likely be reassembling the original chiller into an XL chiller also and pumping them both together (unless this one actually does the trick - I’m not that optimistic). I’ll also be rigging up a third much smaller one for the 4x3 tent with whatever water blocks I have left over. That may be harder than it sounds but I’m willing to try.

Here’s the shenanigans.

Total of 3 pelt modules and four fans and who knows what kind of chilling action. Maybe some. Maybe none. It’s got a LOT of hot water to overcome. My tent is at 81° Pretty consistently. The girls like it but the water res doesn’t.

Still no signs of sex on LT Jr. Needless to say I’m STRESSING.

Structurally SO SIMILAR to OGesus. Ugh.

Lemon Tree is having the time of her life. Seriously.

And gelato. I have no idea. She’s in a world of her own.

Can I even do anything to help her be her best at this stage? Or just let her ride it out?

4 Likes

Lights are out, water temp is 69.3° before the lights went out. I’ll be watching eagerly to see if this set up brings it down overnight.

Have I mentioned that I need to get my drivers out of my tent because I still haven’t done that.

2 Likes

Haha nope! Woke up to temps at 73.8°. Larger chiller was producing more heat than the heatsink and fans can disperse so it was just heating up the water, too. Unhooked it and stuffed the OG chiller back into operation. Now that I’m laying back in bed I realize I forgot to plug the pump back in. Oops. Gonna go do that now. :see_no_evil: New plan is rebuild the OG chiller with the larger water block and test it with the 1 pelt for the next evening. I’ll be revisiting XL chiller with another heat sink situation this evening but I think I’ll just leave it plugged in, no water flow, to test temps for a few hours.

2 Likes

Update on the 4x3. Probably time to start worrying about temps and whatnot but so far they’re pretty self-sustaining. The water in the res is the same stuff that was fueling LT Jr, but I’ve been topping off/adding nutes as I go. No visible roots on any of the girls yet but it looks like Frosted Jungle will be my first, I can see the air roots peeking out from the hydroton. I’m not super pumped for that because it means I’ll have more water temps to worry about. :rofl:

The White OG (soil edition) is pretty much dead, I think - it doesn’t look legit dead yet somehow but it’s pretty friggin crispy. It just popped out that way and shows no signs of changing.

It’s sad. Lol. Oh well.

Alpujarreña, hydro edition - looking wee still but doing okay.

The rest, doing good. GDPxGumberry still doesn’t know how to grow. Not sure if it’s gonna figure it out but no harm letting her try. The White Lavender is similarly confused about life. :joy:

The clones:

Lemon Tree 2.0, and Blueberry auto:

And Frosted Jungle, and Purple Urkle:

Tent temps at 78° with an RH right around 45%, which was where my other seedlings were pretty happy. Gonna file that under just fine for now!

3 Likes

im still here bro i just been AFK, dang life has me wrenched up right now or id be more active. let me know if i can help in anyway …are the drivers out of the tent?..i actually hang my drivers above the tent holding on tightly to heat rising and drop cord.

Drivers are still in the tent. I’ve got a few feet of red wire and white wire but no black. I know I can just use a different color since I’m not here to impress any electricians, but I’m also thinking for my own sake I should just go buy a couple rolls of the right stuff.

I know the heat they create is most of the problem. The LEDs get warm but nowhere near as toasty as it gets with the drivers added.

Tell me about it. It doesn’t ever stop, does it?

Any ideas about how to get better heat dispersing on the chiller assembly(s)? Or if sandwiching a water block between 2 pelts would help keep the block cold? I feel like it should but that also hasn’t been my experience in a super trial run.

1 Like

ALWAYS disappointed when I don’t do this. It happens less and less often as I prove it to myself :rofl:

2 Likes