Seeds hulls not releasing

I’m a registered medical user, so I plant a seed several weeks apart. The problem I’m having is that approx every other seedling can not push the seed hull off and the seedling dies
If anyone can tell me what to do I’d really appreciate it

I’m having the same problem going to try and add a couple drops of peroxide soak for 36hrs instead of 24 hrs on my next seed I drop!!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that

I gently remove seed hulls that stick being as careful as possible not to damage leaves with a pair of tweezers and a small grommet pick

3 Likes

Make sure you are planting the sprouted seed in the right direction. This will help pull the hull off when it pops out of the soil.

marijuana-seeds-positioning-in-soil

2 Likes

Thanks, i never thought of that. I’ve just dropped a seed and covered.

once the seedling has popped up and it still has the shell on, pull it off and let the cotyledons capture the light for growth.!!

1 Like

@TommyBahama that rendering is crazy! I always learned to put the root tip down. It makes total sense by seeing it.

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for the help

Might not be planting deep enough, based on that graphic. But I was going to suggest the H2O2 soak. I soak mine 24 hours or until they sink, in a shot glass of tap water and a drop of 3% H2O2.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’m a real newbie and I’m sure I’m making every mistake possible, but with you guys help I hope to get it right.

2 Likes

I did a quick search and at least 5 sites say root tip down.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m a real newbie but with all of your help I’ll get it figured out

Yea I’ve always heard root down, interestinf

2 Likes

root down is quicker, root up helps remove the shell,
if u want quicker it usually means more maintenance.! LOL
if it is a good, viable seed it does not matter which way it is planted.!!

i do not soak seeds, they r planted in small cups of ‘soil’ or rock wool,
about 10- 20% come up with the shell stuck on.
usually the shell slips right off with a tug from some tweezers,
sometimes it sticks to the cotyledons and is tuff to remove.

3 Likes

@Pablito61…IF you have a STEADY hand, a GENTLE touch the seed husk can be removed with a sewing needle.

NOT FOR THE TIMID:cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v:

1 Like

Using an eyedropper I place a tiny droplet of water on the husk and put the cover dome back on for about 15 minutes. It seems to soften the husk for easy removal.
It works for me anyway.

2 Likes

I had one stuck this grow. I tried everything. I even read to spit on it. :nauseated_face: Enzymes were supposed to soften shell. Changed her name to Loogie. Poor baby died anyway. I have read some are able to be saved and some are not. Good luck.:woman_farmer:

2 Likes

I had a sour d not want to pop. I used the wet paper towel method. It was a week today with no signs of cracking. I decided the squeeze it between my pointer and thumb and felt a crack. I put it back into the paper towel and two hours later I see the tap root poking out. Looking good now.

3 Likes