Seedlings in buckets

Hello everyone

How far would you put a 600w MH bulb from a seed in rockwool in claypebbles in a 21L bucket?
Choice is 600w MH and or a 250w actual watt LED… not sure what to go for! please help!!

I wouldn’t get any closer than three feet with either of those… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was in the mind its mainly about surface temp - so if the led is 1ft away and the surface temp is koshure i should be ok?

I don’t use LED’S , but from everything that I’ve read and seen , it’s the focused energy from the lights that will burn them , not really the heat like the MH light you were talking about… with the MH light you can use the back of your hand trick to determine light height and how comfortable your ladies will be… not so with LED’s … see what others have to say that use LED’s… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use LED exclusively. In veg I use 6x 225LED 64W ultra-thin blue and white panel lights (384W), and in flower I use 2x150W full spectrum UFO, 2x 225LED 64W red panel lights, and 10x 28W E27 full spectrum bulbs: 708W total. Through the whole process my lights start at 6" above (seedlings, 24 hours on for first 1-2 weeks), veg at 12" above, and flower 12-18" (after stretch I usually drop back down to 12") above.

The problem I noticed with LED is that they have extreme Lumen drop. For instance, at 12" my UFO lights provide 9700 lumens, and at 24" it drops to 4000 lumens. I have no problems with light burn using this setup.

2 Likes

I read about that… you lose a huge amount of lumens on any light by having it too far away, i swear he said 12 inch on led’s is 70% probably an over estimation or some crap led’s - but yeah man your totally right! thanks for confirming what i believed.
I’ve got a 250actual watt led just to dense those babies up :slight_smile: going to get another one before flower no doubt.
Ahh one question i do have, when does the plant start being quite stinky? i have a noisy cheap piece of shit fan and filter - so I’m hoping i won’t need to use one for a good 2 weeks… am i dreaming?

1 Like

The odiferous quality is strain dependent in some regards and increases exponentially over time. You will definitely be stinking up anything and everything by the time you get 3-4 weeks into flower. By the time you are in your final 2 weeks and flushing… GOOD LORD!! That’s a stinky girl!

Here’s what I do, and it works pretty well for being cheap. Mind you, I have a room that is partitioned, not a tent.

I have a Hamilton Beach Air Ionizer as my exhaust fan. Within the room I have 5 activated bamboo charcoal bags hanging from the ceiling (1 in each corner, and 1 right into the middle of the plants). Outside the room (my room is a small adjoining room, almost large closet, from another room) I have another Hamilton Beach Air Ionizer and 1 activated bamboo charcoal bag. The Ionizer is placed relatively in-line with the exhaust fan within the grow room; and, the charcoal bag is hanging from the ceiling in the exit door’s doorway.

The only time I smell my ladies (and I have 3 heavily budding Sativas right now) is when I put my nose right into them, when I am handling them, or, right after the lights come on in the morning. For the first 10 minutes of lights on, those ladies kick out the odor.

2 Likes

That 70% drop at 12" sounds about right. As I said at 12" my 150W UFO is 9700 lumens. But, the actual output at light is closer to 12k lumens.

1 Like

I cannot wait to expand to a whole room grow… haven’t even started my first tent grow yet! i must be patient… just did the window up with cardboard, a big curtain, and then reflective sheeting.
No idea why i bought that concidering i knew i was using a tent… but hey ho the rooms blacked out now anyway.
I’m going to get a 8inch PHRESH hyper fan with the most silent filter and ducting i can afford i think. That beast woops out like… 700cfm give or take, so for a 1.2 x 2.4meter tent… it will never need to go above 30% i imagine.
Anyways cheers for the infor man, il be back to gain some more pearls when i set up a whole room!

peace

You’re welcome. We all love to see pictures, and many new growers use them to pattern their setup. I look forward to reading, and hopefully seeing your progress.

Grow big. Grow healthy. But most of all… GROW PATIENTLY!

Honestly I never start seeds directly in a DWC unit I sprout them in rockwool or Rapid rooters let them establish roots in a simple tray of lecca with a dome misting as they need once roots are exploding from pods I transfer to dwc. By being in the tray I can use any light to start with a 600 I place sheet of white paper over dome to diffuse light and since water levels need to be higher to get roots through lecca in unit you run 2 risks lecca being too dry for roots to work through or too wet and saturating rockwool leading to damping or trunk rot. I also use 2L pop bottle cut in half over over sprout until roots hit the solution.
But just me many have different ways of starting ladies in DWC

4 Likes

the 2L bottle idea is interesting… and cheap, which everyone loves.
I’ve heard DWC bubblers (mine recirculates also) have a 90% germination rate… although i was a bit hesitant at chucking the babies in a big pot and hoping for the best. Now I’m really not sure what to do.
I have these… any good?

Sorry for not having time to elaborate any but my thinking is I like to know they have roots and are started not hope

no worries man, if you want to give me some advice on it then it’d be cool. I get starting them elsewhere, but i cant use soil since its going in hydro after… what do you advise with the equiment i’ve got? could tissue paper in a glass of water for 12 hours then stick it in the rockwool and bubbler pot?

Alright my man here’s a couple pics of what I do just to get you started… if I’m starting from seed I thrown in a paper towel until I see a Tap Root then I thrown into a rockwool with a little bit of water at the bottom , about a quarter of an inch and let them do their thing up to this point…

These are clones mind you…

:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just got a 300w actual 3 weeks old for 60 bucks! love a good bargain me…

Kick ass :slight_smile: I invested in a propagation try and dome… with a heat mat… URGH I better get a decent harvest out of this shiz haha cost a pretty penny!

Hey brother, can you edited the gd out of your last post(post 17)? This is a public fourm and some may get offended by that certain language. Thanks

Do you plan on using any yield boosting techniques: LST, HST, defoliation, scrog?

I do LST and defoliation on my ladies. I have one plant that has 7 18"+ colas on it; and, the plant is ~2.5’ tall. I expect about 1/4-1/2 lb. off of it. It’s amazing what some plant tie-wire and cutting fan leaves off can do for you.

1 Like

You can use spoil for starting, although Coco is my preferred, before placing them in hydro. Just make sure you wash all dirt from the roots using PH’d water before transplanting. If you start in Coco, yoo can transfer the Coco directly to your system. I prefer to remove the seedling from my coco, wash them, and then transfer them to a split rockwool cube.