Questions about Phosphorous deficiency

I am currently in week 3 of flowering with my Girl Scout Cookies Extreme auto. Watt-sun pointed out a phosphorous deficiency in my plant over a week ago. I have read up quite a bit on this and come to the conclusion that the plant will “pull” phosphorous out of the leaves to maintain bud development. First it affected my top growth only. Now it is progressing to some of the bigger, lower leaves. The affected leaves also have reddish/purplish stems. I removed 4 of the affected leaves about 5 days ago and feel like that was a mistake. Shouldn’t I be letting the plant sacrifice these leaves? If I cut them off I assume it will just start pulling from other healthy leaves? Thanks guys.

No responses so far so I will tag @Watt-Sun for an opinion.

Pictures help, along with a support ticket. Just trying to help so we don’t back track.

1 Like

@Covertgrower In this post I’m not looking for help to diagnose the phosphorous deficiency. That’s already been covered in other posts. I am just wondering if my understanding of the phosphorous deficiency is correct. Thanks.

Can you elaborate a little on this?

@smokysmurf Is your only symptom purple stems?

I’m not experienced enough to say for sure, but you’re logic makes perfect sense to me. Probably best to remove them after you resolve the issue, or when they’re totally shot.

1 Like

Sounds about right. phosphorus is mobile.
You can leave the leaves on until they yellow. Then there’s nothing else they can offer.

Is your deficiency from lack of P, low temps, pH lockout, watering or humidity issues?

1 Like

@Covertgrower Basically the questions I asked in the original post. Does the plant pull phosphorous from the leaves to help bud development when there is a deficiency? Should I leave the affected leaves instead of removing them? Is the reason I am seeing newly affected leaves because I removed a few of the ones that were affected first?

@Royc No, the affected leaves are about 50% green and 50% brown, mostly newer leaves at the top. Now some of the lower leaves are starting to show the same symptoms and they are the ones with the purple stems. The rest of the stems with healthy leaves look normal. I will tag you on the post with the picture.

1 Like

PH lockout. My runoff PH was 5.5. I did a flush and got it up to 6.2. It is now sitting at 6.0 which is still a bit low for Phosphorous and Calcium uptake. I have been using Tiger Bloom at full strength and will be starting calimagic with the next watering. I have also been using dolomite lime but was told the calcium and magnesium in it doesn’t uptake as well as calimagic.

1 Like

When the fan leaves start to yellow, I remove them when they’re visibly not usable anymore. Some people remove them before that. It’s a personal call.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out.

1 Like

@smokysmurf sounds like you been doing a lot of reading and learning. great job.

1 Like

If there is a deficiency that means there isn’t enough phosphorus for the plant to move around to needed areas.
It’s like me asking 2 people to be in 3 places at once. They would constantly be moving and getting nothing done…omg I described our new apprentice at work.
This could possibly be the dumbest answer I have ever given. OR its genius lmfao.

2 Likes