Psilocybin Adventures

No worries, there’s more to life than a forum… I waited before doing anything. I didn’t want to screw it up.

This is why I waited, because it’s the little details.
So I’ll add half, then store the rest.

I did see the instructions to wipe down the outside with alcohol. Which I’ll do, now I just leave it in the bag, in a dark warm area? 70-75°F? Or warmer?

After mycelium is present, so I dump and spread out in a tote? Or something different?

2 Likes

Yes. I would favor mid to high 70s.

Yes, but wait for full colonization. It will take several weeks in a grain bag. These colonize more slowly than jars do.

It’s best to go to bulk (a tote) with a grain bag. You will get far more yield that way. Mix the colonized grains in a tote with bulk substrate in a 2:1 ratio of bulk substrate/micellum covered grain. A tote will generally take 10 days to 2 weeks to fully colonize. You can then fruit your tub.

You probably already know to do this, but be sure to shake up your syringe to mix the spores throughout the water in the syringe before injecting.

Nope. Didn’t have a clue. I will though when I get home.
Should I suck in some air in the syringe to do this? Just wasn’t sure if that was okay, seems like it would be, but I don’t know. So I’m double checking every step.

Do I need to purchase more substrate for this? Or you’re suggesting to mix what I have…

Shake up the syringe and flame sterilize needle make you sure you wipe it back down with alcohol to cool off before injecting remember sterilization is key at this splint shower scrub wear a face mask we should all have plenty of those right now gloves spray your whole body with alcohol i use my oven as a makeshift air box the heat makes anything undesirable rise I’ve had good luck with the oven doing my jars

1 Like

I do make sure the cap is on it though and your not pulling in actual air I ill the plunger back slightly and shake vigorously

1 Like

Yes, that helps tremendously, though keep in mind that you need to be as sterile as possible when exposing syringes to open air.

Mix your colonized grain bag into a bulk substrate such as a Boomr Bag from North Spore. Shady and I have had a lot of success with Boomr Bags. Don’t buy these off Amazon. They are available on North Spore’s web site for a lot less money.

2 Likes

I used this method too until I built a still air box.

2 Likes

Alright I’ll get one of those too.

Oven won’t work for me though, way too many variables with kids. I would end up baking the shrooms before getting baked with shrooms. :joy:

1 Like

I use a still air box and it works great. I haven’t had contamination since I started using it. I just took a large tote and used a 4" hole saw. It works best to spray the inside of the still air box with 70% alcohol before working in it. 70% is best because it doesn’t evaporate too quickly and thus removes more “nasties” from the environment inside the box.

The oven method can be accomplished by heating your oven to ~200 to 250. You can then use the surface of the lowered oven door as a workspace. It works by the heat rising from the oven and creating a draft upward and outward.

4 Likes

You just use the oven to innoculating your bags or jars in then put up in a dark place after. Whole process should really only take an hr or so.

1 Like

I made an air box too but feel to restricted in it so went to the oven instead. Again it is all personal preference unless we’re doing this in a sterile lab always the chance for contamination. And everyone’s situations and circumstances are very different

3 Likes

Good thing about north spore is you sign up for rewards I’ve already gotten like 20$ off of stuff.

3 Likes

I didn’t know this was a thing. I’ll have to get signed up. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: I signed up and it gave me credit for my previous purchases. Awesome!

2 Likes

Oh nice! I think I am signed up but will make sure.

@Covertgrower the best way I found to inoculate, as the first time my son and I did 8 grain spawn bags, a baby and a toddler, three dogs, an undercounter oven, so on the floor trying to do this. Then there was the time I caught the inoculation area on fire with the alcohol burner lamp…so…Midwestguy idea with the box is what works best for me. Only I bought a glove box with silly thick black gloves that only The Hulk could possibly inoculate with a syringe in there, I took them out, I spray it good with lysol, put everything in there, and with long kitchen gloves, sprayed with Lysol, I will reach in and inoculate and have had zero issues. The oven floor method and the tent fire method were not very successful. :rofl:

Once you inoculate you wait. And wait. And wait. The nice thing is there is never really a sense of urgency like I can get when I realize my cannabis needs watered NOW.

I am so sore and stiff from gardening, push mowing the lawn with the front and back wheels not on same level. Ugh! Will be easier now… the greenhouse is amazing and I love it. I keep it cool with the evap cooler, I hose down the mulch, hose down some clay pots, and that has kept it under 100 for the most part. Sunday is a scorcher with projected 103 deg and that will be a big test.

Okay, big question for everyone, @shady424 @BoilerGuy … do I leave a light on with the Corumba? The center is not colonized, but the sides are pinning again. I moved the light away from the top as I felt that was too much, but really I could let ambient light in and that may be enough. It is summer, do I even need a heat mat?

The two big tent plants are Purple Haze, they can be flipped after June 24th. The one below is California Dreaming photo. I think I may put it in the greenhouse and bring it to the tent to flip. i need to check how many hours of sunlight etc we are getting here. I have the greenhouse shaded, as I was not sure on how intense the UV light is, and maybe now after a time I can add more light but mostly it was for the heat in there, to decrease it. Anyways, I could FIM the Purple Haze for the second time on 24th and FIM California Dream and then flip 30 days later. Oh the decisions I have to make!

Grandkids will be here today so it will be game on with a 2 1/2 yr old and a 15 month old. I love it! Life is good at the Case de Alegria.

6 Likes

That is a big question… my gut tells me to limit the FAE and allow the mycelium to thrive and finish colonizing the center of your cake… I have ALWAYS wondered why some cakes I see pictures of do not fruit from the center and mostly fruit from the edges of the cake… it almost has to do something with moisture… but I’m not very sure myself. What is the temperature of the air around your cake? I would assume that would answer your --to use or not to use heat mat question–
About the lighting… again I’m not totally sure as I’m very very new to all this but in my humble opinion… mushrooms do not need much light at all… so anything more than ambient sunlight through a window into a room in a house would be overkill… is too much light a problem? Probably not… Just need to maintain correct temperature and humidity. Again, not 100% sure
Hopefully others will chime in and we all can learn! Love you people

Good news is. I have witnessed my VERY FIRST PIN!
:heavy_check_mark: Saw a knot develop last night and now this evening it’s a little bigger and more knots have formed!! :heavy_check_mark:

I’m unbelievably excited about this!
Will keep my hopes high but my expectations low.
Will continue doing what I have been doing. It’s 78 degrees fahrenheit where the terrarium is, and a window 10 ft away which let’s in some light in the morning but more light in the evening (west facing window) heavy misting and fanning once in the morning and 2 to 3 times in the evenings.
Check this out!

4 Likes

Here’s my first little cluster

and my two girls I’m getting ready to switch to flower this week also looked in on my Lucy jars have some great and fast growing mycellium. One thing I forgot on this tub was a liner and I’m getting all side pins let that be a lesson always use a liner or paint the bottom black

4 Likes

Beautiful!!

Found some nice reishi today on our foraging hike I’ll post a pic after it’s on the wife’s phone.

2 Likes