Overly anxious first time grower

Coco does want to sequester calcium so a regular dosing of cal mag is wise to prevent deficiencies.

1 Like

I do better on the higher side my self. 5.8 - 6.1 is where I shoot for going in. 6 is my goal though. My run of will float. I have recently noticed. my run off numbers change with how I feed. personally. I have found with my plants. As long as my run off is above 5. I don;t worry about it unless the plants show me some thing is wrong.
and as @Myfriendis410 says. Cal mag is your friend. I am using a 1/4 tsp per gallon in veg right now and will go to 1/2 in flower. more if she shows me she needs it. And I saw you use a milk jug to mix with. Any reason you are not just using a big pot or bucket. it seems like it would meake things a lot easier for you. And faster for sure :grin:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply! OK so maybe calcium still is my problem because I haven’t been giving it every time I have watered. The calcium levels in the tap water are pretty high here, I have gotten kidney stones in the past due to it, but I’m not sure how well or if the filter takes any out. I will start giving some with every water! Thanks for your precise measurements that really helps a lot. The milk jug technique is actually pretty easy for me because where my grow room is is difficult to get to so having something with a handle that seals makes it a lot easier. Plus I like watering it slowly so I can control it better (I’m really clumsy). Thanks so much for sharing your PH numbers and experience it makes me feel a lot better! I’ll post some new photos hopefully giving the extra calcium will slow down new spots developing. Oh! One more question. What is your PPM usually at before you water and after. Or rather what is an optimum range for coco? I read 150 ppm in one grow book but I watched one youtube video that said its ok as long as its under 500 ppm. Thanks friend! :smile:

2 Likes

thats the way.good to see. cheers

1 Like

HELP!
Ahhhhhh I was doing so good too. Well as many of you know I had one seed that sprouted and one that never did so I threw it in the pot. Well it came above ground fifteen days after my first. Well my big plant is doing awesome but overnight my baby one has turned light green. I want to help the little guy out but not at risk of ruining by big bus on the other. What do you guys recommend? Also I just did my taxes and I owe money so please give “cheap” fixes hahaha jk. Is my big plant stealing all the nutrients and suffocating the little one? Growing in 7gal pot. I would type more but it’s 2:30 am and I’m sleepy. Also stem is light and lower leafs seem but darker. Top leaves are limp. Gave it more water and they straightened out but few hours later limp. @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @MattyBear @MoneyPit @Myfriendis410 @Bubbles1 @DoobieNoobie

1 Like

Just realized how dreadful those pictures are , my bad friends. When I’m more competent I will take you guys more photos if you have questions and it isn’t clear enough. Basically left side plant good right side bad. But check out those big buds on the right :grin: . Out of desperation I stole two grow lights from my other plants hoping the extra light might be needed but the one in plant is doing so good I’m not sure that’s my problem.

@shungitewhap my answer is one you won’t like. Chop it.

Other option let it ride and accept that it will always be less than the other.

If you do choose to allow it to live just consider that plant is also taking food from the larger plant, and it may not be doing it’s best it can do either.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you were informed this might happen. Covert said what I think as well. It might or might not even survive. Even if it does there’s no telling how much it’ll give you. The flowering plant is taking most the resources and possibly the roots are going to strangle the other plant to death.

1 Like

OK that’s what I thought. I was just checking because I am finding it hard to make myself do it. hahaha. I really didn’t think that one would ever survive. I will chop it down and never ever put two seeds in one pot again. Thanks Covert.

2 Likes

OK that’s what I thought was happening too. I honestly didn’t think that other plant would survive at all. But lesson learned! Do you recommend anything else in addition to cutting it down. Like should I try to remove part of the root ball. It sounds like a really bad idea since they are probably tangled together but I didn’t know if one died if it would cause root rot in the other.

Nah I probably would just cut it off at the base. Only reason I would is because you don’t want the big girl to start suffering if the smaller plant makes a push for root space. But this is all just speculation there’s no real way to know what will happen. You could leave it and it keep going long enough to harvest the bigger one and then it start growing again. I’m just one to play it a little safer rather than risk the bigger plant.

2 Likes

Ughhh… I’m gonna be honest. I tried to cut it down. And I couldn’t. It cried and told me it was young and had so much more life to live and I just couldn’t go through with it.

2 Likes

geez i hope i caught you in time. no need to kill anyone, christ. gently dig the smaller one out with a fork. a dinner fork you know. dig it out gently after you have watered the pot in question. have a pot of moist medium ready to go and transplant carefully and watch then judge the virility of said seedling after a time. give it a week or two to prove. ive just had a healthy seedling have no more than 4 sets of leaves for nearly 3 weeks and know its a month old it seems to be keen to grow. stuffed if i know, your choice bro.

2 Likes

just caught its no seedling. you can split anything with moist medium and gentle movement. it can be a ballsy move but done patiently your in like flynn man.

2 Likes

your fish fert you have there will help with recovery from the transplant for both plants. its risky but if your feeln brave and patient you can split them.

1 Like

I’m brave enough to try to separate them, not brave enough to kill them thats for sure. I’m just worried about how intertwined they may be. Thanks for the advice bubbles. The part I’m worried about is my footprint of my light. If they are further apart I don’t think I will have enough light to cover them both. I already put in two more additional lights and waiting till I get my good set up, which won’t be before they are done.
Hey one more question? What dehumidifer would you recommend? The ones I keep seeing say they are for 1500 square feet or more and I’m worried that even on the lowest setting those might suck out all the moisture. Right now I got part of the tent open to help which isn’t good for air circulation I’m sure. The RH keeps skyrocketing which I know isn’t good for flower.

2 Likes

i cant tell you too much bout dehumidifiers as i dont need em here in my climate in aus.your footprint is great knowledge to be aware of im learning so you can only do your best. but i gotta admit i think that 1 or two looked after with 100% in mind and your doing your best. if your not confident you can save at least 1 with seperation. then cull the weakest. its all you got. a gritty decision is all yours to make. congratulations fellow grower, your getting a baptism of fire by the sounds of it. GOOD LUCK @shungitewhap. KILL OR SPLIT? NO SENTIMENT. ITS A PLANT. YOU HAVE LIMITED TENT SPACE AND NO TIME TO PLAY WITH LOOKING AT YOUR PLANTS.

1 Like

Thanks bubble you made me smile! I am trying. I though of dehumdifiers a little late tho. I just discovered what I think is mold. I just spent hours scouring the plant and I cut out everything I could find and a lot that was probably good just to be safe. I am very tired and I’m gonna sleep on it but tomorrow morning I will know my decision. To cull or not to kill is the answer. Tis a baptism of fire!

1 Like

GO HARD MATEY.with the mould bit … you gotta commit to air flow thats all. watch it. i had the same problem once. it starts like wildfire, but you can change it

This is the dehumidifier I use. And it works great. I can keep it out side the tent and keep the humidity at what I want for both my 4x4 & 4x8 tent in the room, with 6 flowering plants. it is easy on your electric bill as well. best of all. The water it sucks up can be used for watering your plants. it is basically like ro water. about 10ppm is what I get. I use it in my big tent when I don’t need it for both tents. Hope this gives you an idea what is out there :grin:

https://www.amazon.com/Danby-DDR030BDWDB-Energy-Star-Dehumidifier/dp/B06XQ59B1T/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=danby+dehumidifier&link_code=qs&qid=1556680813&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-7

1 Like