Overly anxious first time grower

The name fits well @Freakish2667

2 Likes

Ok guys… I am ashamed. I have done a tragic job at reporting the progress on my first plant. So I have to plants in one pot. I germed two seeds and one didn’t pop after three days so instead of pitching it I just tossed it in and gave it a fair shot. Well it popped up 15 days after my first one which really surprised me. So I have a mama plant and a baby ( thats what I call them, there isn’t a clone situation or anything.) Since my plants were so far apart in age I only fed the plants as if I was feeding the smaller one, so I held back a lot on the nutrients. My plant looks good except in the middle in the bottom there is starting to be a patch of leafs with white spots! I figured it might be that I wasn’t giving enough calmag so I gave it 4 ml last night. One of my friends said that it might be my nutrients (Coco Nutrients) since it wasn’t organic. He had me buy some fish fertilizer but now I’m worried because he grew mainly in soil and I’m growing in coco and I don’t know if that is ok. Could you guys take a quick look at let me know what you think? Appreciate it!
Some of the basics:
Northern Lights Auto one is 47 days old and the smaller on the left is 32 days old. The older one started flowering 8 days ago.
My ph has been stable between 5.9-6.2 Growing in coco coir and Perlite mix. 60/40

Using filtered water mixed with purchased spring water. Using Sensei Coco Grow Part A&B but recently switched to Alaskan fish fertilizer. The burning in the middle started before i switched out of desperation. Hasn’t helped an a few more leaves have become damaged.
Also giving some B1 vitamin.
Let me know if there are any more basics you need to know.
Got a cpm fan and fans inside at canopy level.
I have been training the one on the right in hopes of keeping the canopy of the older and younger one more even.
Here are the burnt ones in the middle.

I will do another post so I can show you guys the side view of both of them together because it won’t let me upload any more images in this one .As you can tell my baby one is quite stunted for some reason.

@dbrn32, @MattyBear , @MoneyPit

1 Like

I just wanted to mention that because of the basement my plants look a lot darker in the photos then they really are. I used as much light as I could but still pretty dark.
Here is my top bud:

Will have to post another post, it will only let me do one photo in this one.

1 Like

K here is the side view. Left one I have trained quite a bit but have had a difficult time because I have fabric pots. So I made a wire base underneath to type my foam wires too.

2 Likes

Have you been fighting with cold temps any? I feel like I’ve seen plants look like that in my outdoor garden after a bout with cold temperatures.

1 Like

Nope temperature has been pretty steady! It is in a cold basement but I got a heater and I check it between four and five times a day and it has consistently been at 75-77 inside the tent. Do you think I should try raising it some?

1 Like

Any chance you spilled something on or sprayed those leaves and not the others?

I always water in a ring around the outside and I water one measuring cup at a time. I haven’t done a foliar feeding or anything like that. I have splashed water on the outside ones before and I do wipe them off with a little towel very carefully but none in the middle. I noticed there are some different leaves affected now. My RH tho I just noticed was higher then usual so I took some of my cups of water out. Should I leave the damaged leaves on? There are a few pretty bad ones that are crinkly and crumbly.

You don’t need to remove them, but if they’re dead you can.

So when you water or feed you’re only putting a cup of water or nutrient solution in? What are you measuring ph and ppm with?

1 Like

No I mix up a whole gallon of water at a time in a water jug and add the nutrient solution. I just don’t like pouring it out of the gallon jug into the pot because it sloshes around and its hard to control. So I pour it from the jug into the measuring cup that has a lip and a handle and then water it cup by cup. Its a longer process but I feel better because then it doesn’t manipulate my coco coir or make holes when I water it. I am measuring PH with the little digital reader you guys suggested in a past post and I have recently recalibrated it to make sure and it was still fine. I have been measuring ppm but honestly I’m not sure what to do to change it if its not good. I water with filtered spring water and ppm is always around 150.

1 Like

I have noticed the tips of some are starting to burn now. And I still haven’t given it a full adult dose. I had coco coir part a and b but someone said that it burns easy and I started to see problems. I switched to fish fertilizer but I haven’t seen anyone on here say its ok to do fish fertilizer with coco coir. I’m thinking I should possibly switch back but I’m worried now haha.

I also have another question. I know that I read you CAN leave autos on 18/6 throughout the whole growing cycle but I have read of some switching to 12/12. Now I don’t have a lot of experience but I feel like the bud development is a little slow. Was pretty fast at first but over the last week no size difference at all. I measured haha.

You can run any light cycle you want eith autos really. Your success with shorter cycle will probably depend on the light intensity you have. Takes a lot of light to grow big dense buds.

I’m still trying to wrap my thick skull around what you’re doing for watering and feeding too. So you mix up a gallon and then apply the whole gallon to the pot? Do you get runoff, and have you checked the ph of runoff? Ideally, you would be setting your ph and ppm of your solution before you apply it, and then gathering some of the runoff and checking how it comes out vs how it went in.

I have no idea what the fish fertilizer is. Its probably fine applied properly. The other stuff was probably fine too.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear!
OK so I’ll break it down haha, I’m not doing anything crazy I promise!
I take a jug, fill it with nice filtered water and add some purchased water that has very low ppm. So that way I can keep my ppm low but not spend a lot of money on water each day.
Then I add part A. Mix it and slosh around.
Then I add part B. Mix and slosh.
Then I pour a sample in measuring cup. Measure PH.
Based on that I add PH down into the big jug. Slosh it.
Then poor it back in measuring up to test PH again (hard to test in gallon jug).
I do that over and over until its right at 6.2 ph. And I mean right at 6.2 I take a long time some nights lol. I do it very slowly tho so I’m not adding a bunch of PH UP and then PH DOWN.
Then when I got it all nice I pour it out of the gallon jug into the cup and water it slowly cup by cup until its all gone.
I have the jug marked at exactly the right level to mark when I will get 15-20% run off. Almost one full gallon. I have a 7 gallon fabric pot.
Then I stand there and wait and dink around for a while and when the drip slows down I switch out my drip pan for a new drip pan.
Take the drip pan out and pour it back in measuring cup. Test my PH. Write down my PH. Test my PPM and write it down. Dink around some more and then when no more dripping I dump out last of run off.

The fish fertilizer is called Alaskan Fish fertilizer. Its a 5-1-1.

3 Likes

I probably won’t have really dense buds this time but my next grow I will because my boyfriend has to build me some kick ass lights or I’m leaving him. :joy:

4 Likes

Ok cool. When you test your runoff what is the ph? Going in at 6.2 may be fine, but it is the higher end of what ph is ideal for coco. If your root zone isn’t trending down you can lock out some of the nutrients.

I apologize for not being around much this weekend, I’m out of town with family visiting a sick friend.

2 Likes

Well my run off was always coming out right at 6.2 and 6.3. Always in between there but just now when I tested it was 5.78! Does that mean I should water at a 6.4 solution so that I can attempt to raise it back into the 6.0-6.5 range? You said 6.2 was at the higher end for what ph is ideal. I thought coco coir was just 6.0-6.5. I was doing 6.2 because it was right in between those numbers so I thought it gave me working room either way.

So sorry about your friend. I hope they start feeling better and you are having a good time with them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Coco is usually better around 5.8 to my knowledge. @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear @Not2SureYet can you guys take a look at this?

4 Likes

5.5 to 5.8 but I cheat up around 6.0 for my sweet spot. I think you are fine.

5 Likes

I read that in coco coir calcium doesn’t absorb in anything under then a 6.2 PH. So I’m guessing thats wrong? I got the 6.0-6.5 from the ILG grow book I think but I will have to check my notes tho! Ok, well maybe my PH isn’t the problem then. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for answering guys! Appreciate you. :slight_smile:

1 Like