OGangster1975 Grow Journal

I’m 7 days in. Popped the seeds directly into the soil. Girls are 2.5 inches. PPFD is 225. Grown in an Earth Bix.

19 Likes

Well welcome to the site. We are a rather congenial group that likes to share our grow journeys.

I am somewhat concerned with your pot choice. I have found that a 3gal fabric pot is about ideal for single autoflowering plant. The fabric allows good aeration of the soil and help prevent overwatering. The pot pictured appears to be too small for two plants. I have seen two plants sharing a pot but the pot was at least 20 gallon. It will be easier to keep two separate plants in 3 gallon pots.

Your plants are still small, you should be able to mostly fill the pots, leaving a hole large enough to hold a ball of soil. Water all pots to a point soil clumps easily. Collect a clump with seedling, being careful not to disturb roots (plan a generous allowance). Place in the hole and fill any gaps.
Repeat for second plant.

Good Luck with your groventure.

3 Likes

Yes, 2 separate pots is the way to go. I’d do that now.

1 Like

I have 2 more seeds that should be delivered in the next day or so. I was going to put them in another earth box. I have two 5 gallon pots. I’ll use those instead. For the first two OG Kush seeds. I’ll leave them be. Transplanting autos is not recommended based on what I have read. I’ve seen quite a few popular YouTube channels grow two auto flower plants in a single earth box. This earth Box is almost 3 feet long and over a foot wide. It has almost 2 bags of soil in it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the comment. I’m going to stay the course with these two girls, but will take your advice with my other two seeds that should be arriving in the next day or so. I’ll plant them directly into two separate 5 gallon planting pots.

2 Likes

Cool. I think you’ll be amazed at how much better the two you do in 5 gallon pots do.

2 Likes

My concern is drainage and air flow; if you go this route, drill a 1/8"-1/4" hole about every 6" on bottom and sides.

1 Like

Welcome aboard!!! Your container should be good for 2 autos. 3ftx1ft is enough room for roots. As suggested, though, put a few holes around the lower sides so the roots can get a little more air. Other than that, not bad for 7 days straight in the soil.

Good luck and happy growing!!!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard out of curiosity are you growing organically with dry amendments or with synthetic nutrients yhe Earth Box’s are amazing for organic growing but not good for synthetic nutrients also you can 100% run 2 autos in a earth box next i would highly recommend not drilling holes into your brand new Earth Box and ruin it the soil and roots get more than enough air exchange from that tube running down to the reservoir and there are also over flow holes on the bottom that allow airflow as well from underneath.

3 Likes

Oops, apologies to @OGangster1975

I thought it was one of those cheap plastic planter boxes.

1 Like

I would also not drill into an earthbox it is already setup for airflow.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comment. I’m sticking with the earth box and my two autos with no holes. I will try a 5 gallon for my banana purple punch.

I have a soil PH question. I water with ph between 6.3 and 6.7. I checked my soil and it’s over 8. Should I drop the ph in my water to below 6 until the soil is lower than 7?

2 Likes

I am currently using Fox Farm liquid fertilizer. It says it’s organic but some of the ingredients make me think it’s mostly organic. Right now since they are still seedlings, I use Big Bloom. At week 3 I was planning on switching to Grow Big and then when it’s flower time, switch to Tiger Bloom. I was not planning on top dressing in the Earth Box.

1 Like

Im a organic grower and also dont ph my water at all ive used Happy Frog soil for a couple years now in my smaller 5 gallon pots and i dont ph my water even when the soil is new out of the bag and my plants do just fine if your water is within range of 6.0-7.0 even high 7s the biology in the soil should buffer the ph for the plants i personally never knew Fox Farms considered any of their liquid nutrients as organic so im not much help there lol and just a fyi the Earth Box is set up for organic amendment fed plants not liquid fed plants as you use amendments ontop of the soil and put fresh plain water down into the reservoir for the plant to drink

2 Likes

Right now the plants are drinking very slow. I only filled the earthbox once with water. So for the fertilizer, I mix it with water and poor it on the soil. When the plants get larger, I’m hoping they will drink more from the water at the bottom. For Fox Farm, my local grow store told me the liquid fertilizer is about 95% organic.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put any water down there for around 2-3 weeks so the roots can establish themselves i highly doubt there are any roots down there yet if anything that water is just sitting and getting stagnant

2 Likes

I bet you’re right. My next round in the Earth Box, I’ll wait 2 weeks before I pour water down the pipe like you suggested. I’ll post more photos of the girls at 2 weeks.

2 Likes

@LiesGrows my next go around I’ll try going 100% organic and top dress with dry amendments. Liquid fertilizer seamed easer so that’s what I did being my first grow.

1 Like

I have some green stuff growing at certain spots at soil level around my grow space. Is that just moss and telling me that my soil is alive? Or is it something I should be worried about?