New to growing?

Yes any help will be great I still can’t figure out how to post on this page maybe because I’m on a cell phone not sure?What do you do to keep the roots cool I am using 15 gallon black. Containers with big holes cut in the bottom for drainage I am also using fox farms ocean forest potting mix and the fox farms trio for bites.

1 Like

@Ironrock There are several things that truly need to be done. Every time I go outside I turn each bucket 3 turns. I make sure that when I water it is absorbed and not just flowing through. To do this I add gypsum to my soil, generously, it is a surfactant that breaks up the surface tension of the soil and prevents it from becoming hard. It then in turn helps keep the balance between wet and dry. I have a ‘poker’ I use it’s about the size of a straw and longer than the buckets (5 gal) and when I water I do it slowly and if I see bubbles coming up I know there is a dry spot which will kill roots quickly esp if they get hot, I take the poker and jab it where the bubbles are and wiggle it around, add more water and again check for bubbles, and, that swampy smell, which indicates dry soil, keep doing this until there are no more bubbles. The most important thing to do is stick your hand in the bucket and loosen up the top 3" or so and keep it that way, esp around the edges so water can get in there. You won’t hurt the roots. Use your hands to feel for dry spots and to crumble soil up. When you water do it slowly and make sure all of the soil is getting wet and watch how much water each plant takes and you will soon learn each plants water capacity and how much should be coming out. I live in San Diego and it is hot and dry so I water at least twice a day and 3 x’s if necessary. They with stood 109’ heat without batting an eye. This was my 17 grow. I had a 7 ft plant in a 5 gal bucket. If you do get a chance check out my 17, winter and start of 18 summer grow. There is a lot of info there, like a bare root ball from a 5 gal bucket, this helps you to understand what you are dealing with below the dirt. I am here so if you need anything holler!

2 Likes

Which FF trio. I use "open Sesame’, Beastie Bloomz and Cha-ching. @Ironrock

Mrcr[quote=“highcountrygal, post:42, topic:19415, full:true”]
@Ironrock There are several things that truly need to be done. Every time I go outside I turn each bucket 3 turns. I make sure that when I water it is absorbed and not just flowing through. To do this I add gypsum to my soil, generously, it is a surfactant that breaks up the surface tension of the soil and prevents it from becoming hard. It then in turn helps keep the balance between wet and dry. I have a ‘poker’ I use it’s about the size of a straw and longer than the buckets (5 gal) and when I water I do it slowly and if I see bubbles coming up I know there is a dry spot which will kill roots quickly esp if they get hot, I take the poker and jab it where the bubbles are and wiggle it around, add more water and again check for bubbles, and, that swampy smell, which indicates dry soil, keep doing this until there are no more bubbles. The most important thing to do is stick your hand in the bucket and loosen up the top 3" or so and keep it that way, esp around the edges so water can get in there. You won’t hurt the roots. Use your hands to feel for dry spots and to crumble soil up. When you water do it slowly and make sure all of the soil is getting wet and watch how much water each plant takes and you will soon learn each plants water capacity and how much should be coming out. I live in San Diego and it is hot and dry so I water at least twice a day and 3 x’s if necessary. They with stood 109’ heat without batting an eye. This was my 17 grow. I had a 7 ft plant in a 5 gal bucket. If you do get a chance check out my 17, winter and start of 18 summer grow. There is a lot of info there, like a bare root ball from a 5 gal bucket, this helps you to understand what you are dealing with below the dirt. I am here so if you need anything holler!
[/quote]

@highcountrygal @MattyBear @Mrcrabs *Does anyone have any clue as to what’s causing the black on these leaves? I’ve noticed it on 3 of my plants.?1528729492695185242832|374x500is this little guy harmful?

15287291853951817857213|374x500

Some day I’ll figure this dang uploading and tagging out😁. Here’s the bug in question

2 Likes

Well piss, I give up! I’ll try to get pic of bug later today. When do I need to start feeding for flowering, plants are about 8 weeks old.

1 Like

@Tennhills Does it look like it could be bug poop? The black stuff and is it just that one?

It’s on 3 and just the “flower” or top of the main stalk?? Looks to be in the leaves and noticed that the stem to those leaves have a darker vein, just the strain maybe??

2 Likes

@Tennhills do you have any hydrogen peroxide? and a squirt bottles, if so spray that area with peroxide be careful and try not to spray other leaves, they will change colors, let the H2O2 sit a bit, then spray it off with water, both, and where the spray got on other leaves. They will get back to normal. See if the black washed away, and yes it could be genetics or an anomaly. If it washes away we can eliminate the other ya think? Let me know and w’ll go from there:):slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like HCG has you covered my friend, just getting in been busy. I have never encountered nothing like that before. I’ll be watching

1 Like

@highcountrygal @Mrcrabs @MattyBear Thank you i will give it a try tommorow. I have another silly beginner question😁…well 2 question. How will I know when my plants swap from vegetation stage to flowering? And in what order should I use the foxfarm trio?

4 Likes

I grow organically so I don’t use those nutes , but @highcountrygal will help in a few my friend hang tight. HAve a good night

You too, thank ya sir!

1 Like

It usually is about that first 3 months then you’ll, start seeing little white hairs and what looks like a ‘clump’ at the nodes. You will se the change, esp at the nodes. I am not familiar with those products I use ‘OPen Sesame’, ‘Beastie Bloomz’ and ‘Cha-Ching’ okay I saw what you have are they still in veg? if so use the one on the left first stat it 1/2 strength and see how they react, and if okay you can go to 3/4 then full strength. As soon as she starts to bloom gradually like above start the middle one and then when the colas start to form then the third one. @Tennhills

2 Likes

Your awesome, thank You! Just read some of you 17 winter and this year’s summer grow…WOW pure beauty! I would say you have this shit figured out. Ever tried the 2 bucket water reservoir trick? I’ve got 2 set out and seems like a nifty little set up thus far, I’ll try to get some pics next time I’m in the woods

2 Likes

Here’s the Fox Farms feeding schedule for soil

2 Likes

![15288957776151103913226|375x500](upload://9H1BquFymySpW94HMnGTutooZAR.jpg
Anybody have a clue as to what this little green horny rascal is? And is he harmful

@highcountrygal Hello dear, do you or any other guru’s have a clus as to what this green horned red eye scally wag is? And is he harmful? Btw had some strong storms through here monday and broke 2 of my crop​:astonished::astonished:…i wrapped both stalks tightly with baking twine and hoping for the best. Hope all is going well your way.

1 Like

Leaf hopper, I think they are good! @Tennhills