New-ish to indoor, looking for advice

So I would need reflectors for those light kits?
Like a hood?

There’s two separate options: LED or HID. HID should have a reflector. LEDs don’t usually need them.

The HID lights come as a complete kit. Literally everything you need to run them. I can picture the reflector style I’m recommending, but can’t find one.

1 Like

Right, I knew about the hid light setups. I know nothing about leds

Is the 5x5 for veg or flower? I love 600’s, but two is a funky fit in a 5x5.

2 Likes

It would be for flowering.
Instead of hid, would two 260W XL QB® V2 Rspec® LED Kit – Horticulture Lighting Group
be the right choice for a 5x5?

1 Like

Three of those would put you at ideal. I don’t think 2 would have horrible results though.

3 Likes

I mean I have one 600 dimmable with a xxxl hood that I could get off a friend or I could buy a few of those leds

2 Likes

Shit, three is out of my budget for now.
How big are those kits, could I even fit 3 in a 5x5?

2 Likes

Is there a larger size that might be more cost effective in terms of size of the tent?

1 Like

The one I mentioned to you is better than the vivosun that’s why I mentioned it :wink:

Just take more time on Amazon to find a tent that fits your t5 it’s there.

I’m soil not hydro but I hear nothing but good things about DWC and see some pretty crazy results, although soil less mediums like coco are a good starting point and autopots are a rad setup just cost a little bit.

The lights are stupid easy, just plug them together and use a sap strap, done.

It’s ideal to have a couple boards vs one giant board so you can adjust lights to plant canopy levels.
Just do what you can afford then, do 2 for now and 3 later, in the mean time use that HPS setup you got from your buddy.

My gut feeling is to cation you about going so big so fast…

2 Likes

I hear that, I do tend to go over board. However, I do love growing. But maybe you’re right, start small and make it more of a hobby instead of work.
Thanks again for the input, very helpful and appreciated.

1 Like

Not even so much of the work/hobby difference.

Your going to have sooo much to learn, start with a tent, use your ballast you have run a CMH /HPS and grow 4 plants for 2 or 3 grows then you will know more of what you want and will have learned so much on the forum.
Your money will go further then as well.

I’ve heard at least a handful of people wish they would have gone smaller, learned and spent their time laying out a really good setup and better use of their money/time

3 Likes

I appreciate you man, I’ll update when I put my stuff in motion.

1 Like

They make a 600 kit, but it won’t be same level of performance. Honestly I would just go with the two 260 xl kits before I bought a 600 kit. Then just add the third kit later.

3 Likes

I have 3 of the 260w qb xl respec’s in my 5x5 and they fit fine and they are making my plants very happy. I wish that I would have went with them from the beginning. All above is very sound advice. Maybe start with 2 and save up for the third. Just my $ 0.02 worth :v:

3 Likes

Thought I’d add that a 3’or4’ by 6’ (80” tall) would be a better fit for 2 600w HPS lamps.

Also, none of us can prescribe a perfect build for you. We can help you get close, and help you problem solve issues. Accepting the growing pains is key. I’m glad you have an outdoor crop to depend on while you’re getting started.

I’d take careful notes about your environment as you go. You’ll want to know how your basement changes throughout the year, which may nudge you towards certain cultivars or practices; Instead of fighting humidity or temperature, planning around it (when practical) is my preference.

2 Likes

@Northerlit following your thread - was redoing a couple girls buckets (hydro) thought some pics might help you see a 7 week old auto filling up alot of space in my 4x4 makes me wish it were bigger but you can easily fill up a tent with a couple plants is my point.

Note the two green metal tent poles they’re four feet apart… :thinking:

3 Likes

Here’s a wide angle shot.

3 Likes

Do you have a rough idea what that DWC system set you back (assuming it’s just the 3 buckets we can see)?

2 Likes

Good question for this thread. Sure let’s see: tent 110.
Filter and exhaust fan plus second intake fan 175. roughly. I bought the filter and exhaust fan together, included ducting for each fan (bought second tent intake fan later - as I learned. Pair of ocillation fans and another small fan 40. Lighting started with one led then added an identical one. But we’ll just skip them. So a single Mars Hydro TSL 2000 is what I’m using instead of a pair of the same - in a space that’s square like the 4x4 tent. Lighting 260.
Hmm about 650. to buy what I’m using including some misc items like pH and TDS meters, silica, hydroguard, and Cal mag. I added them as they are a must have items. I switched to using 8PCS Thick Glass Graduated… Amazon.com these are great. :sunglasses: So 650 plus 950 gph air compressor 30. But the three buckets came with air pumps and stones. I drilled out a second then a third hole to the bucket - so they run three 4"x 2"stones in each bucket which cost: 40. each that’s 120. total. Hmm looks like 800. Total cost of what I’m using. :thinking::grin::sunglasses: Any questions feel free to ask or see my grow journal “Neofirebird’s what’s growing on”.

2 Likes