New-ish to indoor, looking for advice

Good evening lads, and ladies.
So I’ve had a lot of fun with outdoor grows that I start inside, then transfer them outside around the 21st of June to finish under the sun.
I’m looking for a new challenge when it comes to growing, and looking at starting an indoor complete grow. Looking to build a room in my basement, previously I just had my clones vegging in the open basement
What I have so far for equipment: agrobrite t5 4’ 8 tube fluorescent, 600w revolt dimmable ballast,(got this from a friend might switch it for better recommendation) hps & Mh bulbs, xxxl hood, 6” in-line fan for exhaust, 4” for intake, speed control, carbon filter, a few 18” oscillating fans, and a nice ppm/ph meter.
Going to be growing in a fabric pot in promix using gh trio (at least the mother) thinking of trying my hand at hydro, could use some recommendations on a diy system for this size lamp. In my mind I’d like to have a seedling/clone/veg area under the t5, and a flower section under the hps, and possibly get a perpetual garden going.
Like I said above, I have a basement to utilize so I could build rooms or buy tents. The area I’m looking to use is 22’x11’ but I don’t think I need to use all that space for the amount of light I have at the moment but eventually will expand the flowering section and upgrade lighting.
I’d love to hear suggestions on getting a smooth grow area up and running. Trying to stay low cost for the time being, just had to buy a new boiler last month so money is tight, but would like to see what I have for options.

Thank you in advance for your time

Basement area is a good choice. If you framed off a room in the basement to put the tent in. it would be easier to control temperature and humidity. You could heat or cool the room to whatever you needed to control inside of tent. ( lung room) just my thoughts good luck with your new space.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input, my basement is pretty stable when it comes to temp and humidity. Never drops below 52F/ 31 humidity (winter) or goes above 68F/ 58 humidity (summer). Introducing the stronger light will raise temps and humidity (especially if I go the hydro route)
Building a room would allow me to insulate to protect from loss of heat at lights out, while utilizing the exhaust when lights are on.

3 Likes

Exactly I think you will be very happy it works great for me. There are several Growers on here that use a basement space. A little work you’ll be ready to go. Good luck

2 Likes

I’d personally put a tent up in the area you marked (11’) next to stairs. And just work on suitable lighting and whatever else you need to get.

3 Likes

Have a friend with one tent that is 6x6x80inch and two 5x5xx80 in his space and his room is smaller. Build as you go… Happy growing

1 Like

Think tents are better then building walls, what about building tents with 2x4’s tarps and panda film? lol

1 Like

Tents are cheaper and better

5 Likes

If you decide to purchase a tent it comes with supports in the top for hanging lights and exhaust fan. Holes with pucker strings to seal up around whatever you run through the holes .( electric cords flex hose) you can unbox and have it set up in 30 minutes. Purchase price 80 to 100 bucks.

3 Likes

Ehh some big tents can be 200+ but yea soooo much cheaper, faster, easier and if you decide to change plans you just take down the tent and store it away for later

5 Likes

I think the walls/panda film is a good idea, and what I plan to do. Tents are cheap, easy to set up, etc., but it’s a tent. You can’t lean on a tent, and it’ll only hold what it’s built to hold. You can do chin ups on 2x4s. Just saying.

4 Likes

I agree with everyone saying that tents are a more affordable way to partition off a space than building walls. If I thought I was going to use the same partitions for 4-5 years, I would consider building partitions.

5 Likes

:point_up: exactly! If you know what you want for a setup, space-wise and all that, something more permanent would be more ideal. Zippers wear out, and I’m seeing more and more pinholes in my tent’s “door” flaps, from being swung open and closed.

3 Likes

I would have to agree with all above, tents probably cheapest fastest option. Framed walls definitely more durable but not as easy to re-arrange. If it were me, I would go with one or two tents to start, while I took the time to figure out exactly what I wanted as a permanent option. Probably will change multiple times until you come up with what you really want. Just be sure to remember once built framed walls are more of a PIA to rearrange. Just my $ 0.02 :v:

5 Likes

Thank you all for the great opinions, this community is awesome. I’ve been looking at gorilla tents for the past few weeks, anything extra about these (besides the price)?
Any thoughts on the light, or have ideas on a hydro setup?
Thanks again for y’all’s time and thoughts

As far as lights go, the first question is what’s your upfront budget, and what can you budget towards electricity every month?

2 Likes

Up front I have roughly 500-600 to spend, and I’d be cool with an extra 60-100 more a month in elec.

How large an area are you going to flower?

1 Like

I’m still working that out, if you scroll to the top you’ll see a haha diagram of the available area, looking to use 22’x11’ area to make a grow section. So exact veg/flower sizes haven’t been set in stone. @KeystoneCops

You’re probably going to start with a single 4’x4’ tent and a digital ballast HPS/MH lamp to start, if your budget is $600.

1 Like