Need suggestion on led

I want to start a closet grow. Looking at using mars or spider led. How big of light would u need for 4 plants? And is it necessary to spend the amount of money on a mars or spider farm or is there a cheaper alternative

To us those are the cheap alternatives sadly yes quality lights create quality pot I assume you’re doing photos so you’ll need roughly a 4x4 space and for that I’d prefer to run 2 wide lights to get the edges better so 2 2000 of those budget lights or spend slightly more on quality lights and get 2 Hlg 260 xl kits and get really nice tight buds (they’re like 350 with the code “dude” on their website)

2 Likes

There is 1 cheaper alternative and that’s alibaba I think kingbrite and meiju are knockoff hlgs but good luck getting any customer service if anything breaks

1 Like

Generally the amount of light needed is dictated by the physical dimensions of your grow space or, at least the area plants are confined to. When you say closet, it can be a 8x12 walk in, 2x8’ wall closet or the term is also used for a big box. You get the idea. What is the W L H of the closet and is 4 plants based on harvest needs (weight)?

1 Like

The amount of space needed and number of plants that can be grown in that space is really determined by the grow style / method. With “traditional” methods I agree with 4 plants in a 4x4. Although I do 4 in a 3x3. I have to train them to fit the space. However, I can also do 16 - 20 plants in a 3x3 using SOG method and growing either photo seeds or clones (clones would be more predictable). FWIW

1 Like

True I didn’t think of sog or scrog yea if op doesn’t mind they extra hassle he can get away with 1 260 xl or a 320 xl in a 3 x 3.25 ( I find those lights like a little extra width)

1 Like

My space is 2’4" wide, 4’5" long and 6’8" tall. Comes out to be 10.8 sq feet floor space

1 Like

I was wondering if a mars hydro 1000w or mars hydro sp250 would work. My space is right at 2x4?

One other thing that may make a difference, I plan on growing autos my first time.

First off, I am not a light guy. I read post about lights for information on them and what posters are looking at. That is why I was interested in your inquiry. The mars hydro ts 1000W is for a 2x2 flower footprint so you would 2x. Same with the SP150. You would need two. Sometimes two smaller lights works out to be an advantage. It gives you the opportunity to individually adjust their heights. Even though they may be the same strain, they may grow differently.
Another common light similar to Mars is Spider Farmer. The SF2000 says it is for a 2x4 space.
If you have spent any time reading posts or searched for LED recommendations you would have come across HLG. The go to light for a 2x4 is the HLG 260W QB V2 rspec.
A China knock off the HLG is Kingbrite bought through Alibaba.
I’ll also through Migrow in the mix.

the Mars TSL 2000 is 40" long. Seems perfect for a 2x4. They’re around $250. 300 watts, I think?

2 Likes

Yep that would do it. I’m not that familiar with all of their offerings. thanks

260xl or 260qb, what difference in those? Besides the qb being about 40 bucks less?

4’5"long x 2’4"wide x 6’8" high. No harvest needs, just like to get as much quality weight as I can. Plan on growing autos for my first time also. Thanks.

Oh, and plan on using autos for my first time grow, not photos. Thanks

Same boards, same driver, XL has a longer heat sink for a better spread, more distance between the 2 boards. If budget allows, also consider the 320XL, same long heat sink as the 260XL with 3 boards instead of 2 for even better coverage.

2 Likes