Need advice - First time grower

I understand, thank you for the information man. I have been doing that exact same thing, although people told me to do that only on the edge of the pot, i figured out that if i work my way towards the edge, it ll be easier for the roots to grow that way since the water would be too far from them otherwise.
Its my first grow so im doing a lot of guessing but i find a lot of common sense in growing this.
One last question, is 10 ml enough? How much would be ideal?
Thank you again i appreciate your help and your time man.

No problem at all. Thats why we are all here. To learn and help learn how to spread some funky cheer.

I have no idea how much 10 mL is… i do know i water all 11 with 2 16.5 oz bottles of water. Sometimes is a bit much, but i water a bit into each, then go back over them after they’ve sucked up the water.

Now thats exactly the opposite of what i told u to do, but im in solo sized cups and have gotten used to avoiding the stem. Ur in big pots and dont want to soak all the dirt

Im from Europe so our metric systems are different, sorry about that. If my math is correct you water 3 oz in each plant because 16.5+16.5=33 divided by 11 plants is 3. Thats a lot of ml’s its about 85. and i only water 10-20ml (which is 0.7 oz) lol… But again i have a big pot and my plant is way younger than yours so that might be correct.
From what i understand there isnt a golden number of how much to water, its more about according to the pot size and humidity.

Spot on! There is no set nothing to all this growing jazz…

I think our girls are actually the same age. Just i have a pretty good light and have a bit more experience (read: have killed enough plants to be on a PETA for plants watchlist)

Quick tips!
Big pot little plants works, but not for everyone. Its better for less transplant shock, but harder for just starting/watering habits. My plants always start better in little pots then i transplant as needed. They just get a better footing.

PH is the root of all evil getting friendly with the pH chart and what nutes are absorbed at what numbers is where good growers become great ones.

Lighting is the key i started almost exactly like u. In a fish tank with bulbs. 10+ seeds and 1 harvest later. I learned a :poop:ton but only had 28~ grams to show. Now that experience went miles. I found the forum and my mistakes and improved. You are GOING to want better lights. Dont go blurple. Start with a small GOOD light. And expand as u can afford. For one plant in a 2x2 space? The HLG-65 is cut n dry what u want. Wanna go bigger? We can elaborate later.

I lied earlier. PH is lesson 1, BUGS ARE THE DEVIL always always always look out for damaged leaves. If u catch the first 10 then u wont have to worry about the next 10000… also an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of damage control… or something like that. Food grade DE is my :poop:. There are others but thats all ive needed mostly and some peroxide here or there. Just dont take ur girls inside, outside, inside all willy nilly and ull be fine. But bugs do find there way.

Sorry for the rant. But i love helping people start a good foundation. So… questions?

1 Like

Thank you so much man, i was looking for this information everywhere. What rant this is gold to me lol.
I started out in a big pot, it was my first mistake, but i will fight to the end :joy:

During the quarantine i found a seed in a gelato batch and i just threw it in a cup of water being sure it wont sprout as it was kinda bad looking. To my surprise it sprouted a day later so i decided that i will raise this baby even if it came by accident :joy:

I couldn’t order or buy stuff because everything was closed because of covid,i still cant. and therefore i built my own box with whatever i had at home. And it kinda worked so far lol. But the main purpose i am doing this is to learn, not to get a big yield or anything like that. Im still a beginner with zero experience.

Bugs aren’t a problem as i called pest control people all around my house, there is not one insect around here lol, but im watching out for them.

Now about light, we are in the process of building one with the help of dbrn32, im currently looking for the components to order them and set up a light for my place. I ve been talking to Sean from HLG Uk too, they have some nice offers right now but the smallest they had is the QB 135 which is extremely powerful for the space i have available for the upgrade, he reccomended running it through a dimmer to work around 60-70w but i would be buying a lot more light than what i need for a 1x2x5 cab. So i think the best solution is build my own light to fit that exact space.

Questions:
How much time do i have to move it to its new home? When would be ideal?
Will it still flower like that in the worst case scenario that it stays with those cfls?
When will i need a carbon filter? Because i will have to start making a DIY one but im not sure when they ll start leaving odor.

Purp seems to be covering just fine here. :grin::thinking:

1 Like

Haha! U young grasshopper… are on ur way. DB is the man (shoutout @dbrn32 boy u still spending people money for em? :joy::joy:) He helpd me build my first real light. Ive grown close to 2 pounds with ~250 worth of light we pieced together a year ago after a year of learning cheaply. Best decision ever. I got 200 more watts waiting to add later this grow. First light was 200. But with HLG’s improvements? Ur 135 is gonna have my 200 beat :+1:t5::ok_hand:t5:

Ok to the questions!

1 gall pot? Honestly with those lights? U could flower her in that. Maybe 2 gall pots at most. She wont be huge by any means but u can get more then an OZ by being competent.

When? I keep going back to my grow cuz we close as heck in time. Seeds stood up May 15. They in solos and just getting to the edges. U have 2-3 times more soil at least. So u have plenty time. I may not transplant til this weekend. U have 2 from there imo.

Yes she will flower. And u will learn. Worst case scenario is u fk up n kill her. N dont make it to harvest. But its an experiment at this point? So thats still success. Best case is the problem. Best case? U get that oz n a half of some super fluffy but dope ass dope. Like better then what u smoked, but not as dense.

Carbon filter? What is that? I had 8 plants in flower (all like under 2 feet so not huge) but never smelled a thing until i walkd in the room. Now… we do smoke like a train… n my house does smell like weed basically 24/7 so maybe i was noseblind. But :man_shrugging:t5: U may want other input on this question :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Sir Vert. Can still use an assist if i messup (haha) or lose attention (75% sure this will happen :joy:)

2 Likes

Don’t over water bud. Let her dry

1 Like

:joy::joy: Lol
Oh yeah man i think i was looking at your thread where you and db built that light. He shared it with me so i could see how its done, im still studying tho, its my first time doing something like this but fortunately i have experience with electronics wiring etc.

HLG was my first option as i know its one of the best plus i can get it shipped from UK but i think they are extremely powerful and will probably run into heat problems in my small cab. Db suggested we build something with a lot of leds running at lower current to solve the heat problem.

I think i wont transplant, something is telling me it will do more harm than good with the experience i have which is none. I think i will go as smooth as possible and like you said its already a success. I ll leave it in that pot and try low stress training when its time, i ll pretty much experiment and try to maximize yield. If im able to roll even a joint off of it i ll be happy no matter what lol, i can always do better next time, no rush. For now my main goal is understand how plants work and also build a nice cab with the right equipment.

As for carbon filter my house smells weed all day too so i ll probably wont even notice :joy: but still j ll make one and have it ready for when its needed.

I am planning to order nutrients soon too but i have no idea what i ll need, all i see is endless lists of marketing whenever i look for nutrients online and its kinda confusing why so many different stuff exist and what they do. What would i need regarding nutrients?

Again, thank you so much for your help man.

Thank you bro. I did overwater a bit but i hope it wont get worse now that i let it dry.

Its ur call.

For simple cut n paste? @imSICKkid preaches Jack’s 123. Its the same nutes from seedling to harvest. Dry amendments (cheap powder) with GREAT results.

For local easy to find all organic? Home depot has fish emulsion. I started with (n still to a point) use this. They have a 5-1-1 and a 0-15-15. Basically all u need (o n calmag)

Tried and true? General Hydroponics or Fox Farms Trio. 3 base set bottles, a ton of additives u can add… gets expensive n old mixing (ive heard)

Back with the organics… ive been lead to BuildASoil’s dry amendments. Gonna give them a go this round.

I always start with FF Ocean Forest soil. It has enough nutes to make it 4-6 weeks. Maybe more. Good til flower usually.

There are tons of options… Nectar Of The Gods (excellent product, outrageous cost, hell to mix), Bergman’s (ILGM sponsored), Down 2 Earth (super affordable excellent dry amendment)

Hey man thank you for the detailed reply, sorry for the late reply on my behalf, it was 3 am for me last night, brain shut down without asking :joy:

For me its important to be able to get the right nutrients discreetly, i dont want to go order 100 dollars worth of nutrients and have them shipped from other countries etc, sounds too risky, so i ll have to find similar stuff to what i need by looking at the details and go get the closest ones i can find with cash for now. So if i understand this properly, i ll need something with 5-1-1 (i guess this is for veg?) and another 0-15-15 (guess this is for flower?)

I ll be travelling to big European countries next month so im planning to go buy the General hydroponics series and bring them back with me. I also noticed that some AN nutrients are pretty popular and with pretty good reviews, like big bud, or bud ignitor or bud candy. im not sure what they do but they must do something good for people to buy them so much. But i can see the marketing behind all these, surely plants grew up before these stuff exist.

Im not sure if i should buy anything before that, plant is 3 weeks old now so it ll be about two months old by the time i have the nutrients. If it does need something before that it ll have to be something thats available here, and there are a lot of nutrients available here just not the fancy cannabis nutrients.

How should i know when my plant needs nutrients? - Should i wait for deficiencies to show and then treat accordingly by looking at deficiency charts?
Is there some standard feeding schedule that i should be following in order to not run into deficiencies?

Im not sure of the procedure. my zero experience shines here :joy:

Thank you for educating me man, i appreciate your help!

Ahh. No prob Bob. It was getting late here as well.

No the 5-1-1 and 0-15-15 are just super easy to get. Home Depot and Walmart sell Alaska fish emulsion.

At 2 months yea they’ll more then likely need some kind of feed. Maybe sooner. What kind of dirt they in again?

Normally the first deficiency ull see is N. It starts low n is noticeable by the slow yellowing of fan leaves. Most important nutrient during veg.

Another one ull see pretty quick (going into flower n sometimes just before) is Cal Or Mag. Cal looks like rust spots dotted on leaves. And mag looks like light colored boxes between the veins on the blades of leaves.

Just something to watch for. I prefer to feed before i see a deficiency, but one needs a pH meter (dont cheap it here, Apera sells one for 30-40 bucks that is GOLDEN) and a ppm/tds meter (cheap ones work here, $8). And to get more familiar with the growth stages and needs.

Normally by the end of the first month i give my girls a light but nice feed. Light tip nute burn is better then underfeeding in my eyes

Hey man, Okay i see, so i ll have to get myself some nutrients. I found a local shop that has GHE had no idea we have a dealer here so that gets me out of a lot of trouble. I ll also look for the specific Ph meter see if i can find it locally.

Heres what im getting. Do you think i ll need anything more than these?

Thank you so much!

Forgot to mention about soil. on the pack it says "weakly decomposed white sphagnum peat, high grade frozen through black sphagnum peat and clay.
Electrical conductivity: 45mS/m
Ph value: 5.5 - 6.5
NPK ferilizer 14:10:18
amount of added fertilizer: 1.5kg/m3

Ahh. So ur not in soil. Ur in Peat/coir type of deal. I thought it lookd diff.

In ur medium the waterings should be more frequent then soil. Also most peats/coirs are Mag hogs! I think @Covertgrower uses it. He can help better there. I cant recall who else.

Those are the main supplements n u can definitely get to harvest with just these. But id also looks for some kinda of flushing agent and a bloom booster.

Flushing agents help u reset ur medium when stuff goes awry. A regular flush is 4-5x the size of the pot. 1 gall of soil? 4-5 galls of water. 5 gall pot? 25 gallons of water. Add the flushing agent and it cuts down the amount of water needed drastically.

Bloom booster is something for mid flower for when the plants crave PK (from the npk) to make big beautiful buds.

But just the Trio with pH up n down and calmag is enough

1 Like

And when in peat/coir the pH range is a full number lower. U want to keep ur pH around 6 (5.8-6.3). In soil i aim for 6.3-6.8. But with organics its a much bigger window (no need to worry bout that yet)

1 Like

Looks good to me.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help man i keep saying it i cant thank you enough! Good thing i dont have to worry about Ph. I thought soil mixed with these stuff is the same, sorry about that. So i should water more, i ll check for more info on this.

Can you recommend some bloom boosters please? I added GHE flora kleen in the basket too. Also, whats your opinion on AN nutrients? Bud candy and big bud look interesting, are these bloom boosters?

If I remember correctly, GH makes a dry amendment called KooBloom like 0-51-51. And EXTREME bloom booster. N pretty cost efficient. Look into that.

I wasnt saying ignore pH. Just its lower then soil growers use. Stay in ur appropriate range.

N dont overwater. Just cuz it uses more then soil, doesnt mean u can drown her. Listen to the lady. Watch ur soil. Pick it up and get used to the wet weight, and the too dry weight. U have to find ur middle ground urself.

And again No Problem at all! I wouldnt be the grower i am today without this site, so i just pay the lessons i learned forward. :+1:t5::ok_hand:t5:

1 Like