My 2023 Outdoor Season

Hey everybody!
Its that time of year again! Im starting some seeds for late April planting. Im allowed 5 plants. So far have an unknown Bodhi strain, power plant, cannatonic, and gorilla dosi. So far thats all unles i find something else in the seed bag.
Im not gonna do anything special this year. Im planting straight in the ground as of now. I might grow in a couple of pots. Not sure yet. Ill be using jacks and general hydroponics fertilizer. Azomite, green sand, and magnesium sulfate for sure, and thats about it. I dont plan on topping anything because in my opinion it makes the plants weaker to stormy weather…
I dug 2 holes last spring and filled them with black dirt with a ton of dte organic fert in it. Ill be planting therr and hopefully it works great.
If im not to lazy im gonna do some serious lolipopping.
Other then that, lets get it on!

9 Likes

Im putting the regular seedlings under 12/12 with no veg time for sexing out the males. Darn photoperiods lol…

4 Likes

I wouldnt suggest that if youre planning on placing outdoors. Theyll be in flower already. If youd like a preshow for sexing your plants. Simply take a cutting from each plant and root it. Then place that clone in to 12/12 and wait a couple weeks. Just be sure to tag each cutting to its mother so you dont mix them up. Then when its time to go outside youll have no doubt whos who and wont be in flower already

3 Likes

3 weeks into April we are down to 10h dark, enough to continue flowering.Then by middle of May we are fully back to the ‘veg’ cycle. This might re-veg your plants.
One would hope flowering is finished before mid-May and @Ebb makes a good point.
Between 47th and 48th parallel (north) so transpose for your map.
I will make the mistake of planting too early this year anyway. Followed by right on time, followed by too late. If I throw enough sh!t at the wall something’s gonna stick.

3 Likes

Bring on the Spring!!

4 Likes

Thanks guys. @Ebb @Jaysittinback after they show sex ill just flip the lights back to 18/24.

2 Likes

I wouldnt do that is what im saying. Plants can take several months to reveg and during that time no growth is happening in the direction youll want it. You have plenty of time right now to wait about 3 to 4 weeks and take a small cutting from each plant and root them like a clone and place the clones in a 12/12 environment and sex those. That way your host/mother plants dont have to stop vegging and getting bigger while you wait. It takes about 3 weeks before youll see results. Then if any are male youll know which plants to pull or separate for pollen without distrupting the growing cycle or potentially botching the grow

2 Likes

In one month those will be plenty big to take cutting from, and by the time april rolls around you should be in perfect shape for outdoors. I agree with @Jaysittinback on this though and would wait until closer to May to plant outdoors. Cold snaps and short days can reveg your plants as well unless youre supplementing some kind of lighting either early in the AM before the sun rises or at night after it sets to offset the shortage of light. The plants dont know any better and a single cheap led or incandescent bulb will do the trick

2 Likes

Thanks @ebb! Ill do that. Thank you for writing all that!

1 Like

Not a problem @JIL. When it comes time to take a cutting if you want help just post up here and I or someone will help you along. :slight_smile: happy growing!

1 Like

Leave lights on for an hour and a half after sun sets untill sun catches up in May. I start mine in February in a greenhouse this way then transplant once the sun catches up to the light around 13 hrs of sun a day.

2 Likes

Good idea there, also, night interruption lighting (NIL) where theyre woken up for a short time during the night. Harder to achieve but cannot flower with 5h dark, 1h light, 5h dark. Even thought it adds up to 10h dark.

1 Like

Zone 8 PNW, Seattle. May outdoors is early and as said above, cold with short days.
My problem is the wet damp mornings stay too damp, cold, and wet.
June did good (warmer, longer days, and drier mornings (dampness leaves sooner).
Agree re-veging may slow growth…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t put them outside that early unless they were seedlings. If you start them now they will be mature too early and start flowering in May then reveg in June/July then start flowering agan in August. This will stunt growth and yeild. I keep mine under lights until 1st week of June.

3 Likes

Let me rephrase that. If you start them now then put them outside in April they will mature too early and start flowering in May.

2 Likes

We’re gonna find out because i already have seedlings. I think ill be fine as long as i keep the on 18/24.

2 Likes

I have the seedlings on 12/12 now. Once i separate the males from the females ill bump the lights back up. If they reveg they reveg. Just part of it…

3 Likes

As long as you keep them inside until end of May or the beginning of June they’ll be fine. You can sex them early to get rid of males then change the light schedule back to 18/6 a few preflowes wont hurt anything but if let them continue to flower then put the out in April they will most likely reveg in June/July

2 Likes

@JIL Why not just plant a few extras seeds? If you end up with a few extra female’s, you can cull the weak one’s. No reveging necessary. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

You make a damn good point! I just might do that… i can do that outside because theres lots mor space lol

2 Likes