Mr. Indica's First Grow - ILGM Hindu Kush (fem)

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll keep posting updates and your opinion as a more experienced trainer is valued :pray:t3:

1 Like

Bless you, i wouldnt go that far tho, this is my very 1st run of topping and training!! To have you say its experienced is very complimentary indeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a quick update. It’s amazing how much change I notice after the night cycle!

Aurora seems unstoppable at this point! Kinda looks like a salad :green_salad: :rofl:

Vida is staking up nicely, super tight nodes, she’s pretty much been under the HLG her entire life. Is there such a thing as nodes that are too tight?

6 Likes

Do you think letting the two shoots get taller before LST would help spread it out more?

Yes of course! I’m just training her little by little, I just didn’t want the base of the two shoots stiffening too much before starting. I’m just training as she’s stretching vs waiting and taking a chance at snap crackle and pop.

2 Likes

I’m watching and learning because I’m about 3 weeks behind you

4 Likes

Right on man :+1:t3: Always happy to have the material I share be useful. That’s kind of the purpose. I’ve been benefiting a great deal from your grow for sure.

Looking forward to the GDPs. Do they have their own thread now?

2 Likes

Not yet. I don’t want to jinx them. When they start pumping out leaves and I actually feed them and stuff they graduate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahah makes perfect sense. Oh, I wanted to ask a favor, any details you can share on how you modified the caddy to drain out of the drawer would be appreciated.

I’m at a point where I don’t want to take the pot out of the tent to feed and as you already figured the little drawer isn’t enough to catch all the runoff.

1 Like

I’ll find a pic. But actually I have yet to use it. I have been watering with it just setting in a shallow tub, and using the drawer just to catch testing run-off. After they have drained for about 10 minutes, I stick the tray in and see if a lot comes out. If not into the closet. For that matter, the syringe piece sticking out has been more of a pain than a help - watering in the tub and trying to rotate the plant.

1 Like

I cut the small end off the syringe and left the ‘ears’ on it. Drilled a hole in the tray and pushed the syringe trough from the inside, then caulked to seal it. Cutting the tip off allows the plunger to be stuck in backwards as a plug.

2 Likes

Building a DWC soon, and I will use this idea for my drain spout. :sunglasses: :facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

Perfect! Thanks for the tutorial @Whodat66!

DWC?

1 Like

Deep Water Culture

4 Likes

Right on man. Best of luck! Hope it goes smooooooooth :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve got some gorgeous little plants there @Mr.Indica! I always have loved the looks of indica over sativa! Those fat leaves are just so pretty! Very healthy as well, good job!

2 Likes

Thanks man! It hasn’t been without it’s trials. If you go all the way to the top of this thread, you’ll see how hurt she was from the start.

But I really appreciate the positive feedback. I’m always happy to hear constructive as well :+1:t3:

3 Likes

@Whodat66 @MattyBear @hangthebanksters @blackthumbbetty @dbrn32 @Familyman

I didn’t feel great about the fact that the driver sat directly on the heat sync who’s purpose is to send heat away from the quantum boards to extend their lifespan. So I did this:

My filter is directly above the driver so it should do a decent job at sucking out the heat the driver is generating, which is significantly more than the quantum boards themselves.

I’m about to order an infrared thermometer to make sure the driver isn’t running near the max safe operating temp (90c in this case) since I’m guessing the heat sync was helping it cool it some at the expense of the QB board directly underneath it.

The general recommendation directly from Mean Well is to mount at least 3" away from any other heat source, but realistically, as long as it’s under the max safe operating temp, it’s all gravy. So kind of strange that HLG stuck it directly to a heat sync but I’m fairly certain they ran tests to ensure the design is safe.

In the end, this may or may not have any impact, but I feel better about it all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Smart idea! I’d feel uncomfortable with it too.

1 Like

I would also recommend adding washers & rubber grommets between anything metal. I also drilled oversized holes in the driver mount. That way no heat transfers from the driver to the heat sink.