Light recommendation for set-up I will be upgrading to?

There not the same diodes. HLG is the only partner Samsung has in it’s horticulture leds product line. HLG and Sammy worked together to bring the last two if not three generations of leds to the market. HLG gets all the top tier and binned leds. Everybody else fights over the rest of them and the massive amounts of culls that dont meet HLG or Sammy’s top tier spec. Theres not much made in America anymore because Americans are cheap ass POS now days. Nixon kicked the China door open then Sam Walton walked through the door and destroyed main street America selling junk to the masses. Then Amazon came in and completed the job. Thus the top tier companies are becoming rare and less of them every year. And there products cost more and more because we have become a very lazy nation and cheap as hell.

1 Like

I gotta call you out on this one @Blastfact

Does HLG have the latest Samsung LM301H Evo chips on any of its products?
Check these guys out.

How did these guys also get the latest from Samsung?
https://invisiblesunled.co.uk/products/ish272r-featuring-deep-660nm-and-far-730nm-red-powered-by-samsung-lm301h-lh351h

I won’t call you out on all your rant. You have some points that I hesitate to start a debate here. But I’ve work with peps from all over the modernized world. From my experience, there are just as many achievers all over. We have been on top since after the big one. From most accounts because of our manufacturing prowess back in the day. Because we’ve moved most of that manufacturing because the top 1% lost a grip on the workforce because of the changing labor laws. They got around that by offshoring manufacturing first and eventually support.

I didn’t say nobody else can not get what HLG gets. I said the rest of the manufactures get the culls. Lets say there is a million part run that are top tier. HLG may only want 800k of that run. The other 200k are sold to who ever wants them at the asking price. Or a lot buying war can happen where they can go to the highest bidder. Tech wise there is no practical difference between a LM301H and LM301H EVO. It’s all about how they bin out in the grading process. Like cpu’s, gpu’s and such. It’s just a step in the binning process.

I here you @Blastfact I was in the IT business and worked with top tier manufacturers. I realize how they got there chips and how and some choice to under lock CPU’s I order to preserve life expectancy. Even add addition bits in memory chips to incorporate redundancy at the chip level. But I’d suppose all are subjective in how they operate. But the ones that manufacture the biggest lots usually get the best cut.
I’d say I’d get the LM301HEVO mint white because of better efficiency.
https://images.samsung.com/is/content/samsung/p5/led/lighting/applications/horticulture-lighting/indoor/PC_2021H2_IndoorFarm_Lighting_EN_v1018.pdf

It’s my understanding the EVO’s have been having some reliability issues and the efficiency is questionable. It would seem they have walked right into a wall concerning the fab and production with a high binning failure rate. With some new ground being broken concerning the drivers that power them. I don’t think there truly ready for prime time. I do think we are going to see some water cooling packages starting to show up on some special production commercial lights in the near future. I’ve thought about water cooling my lights. I have a 4’ x 8’ 4 pass air handler heat exchanger mounted in the crawl space under may house with two 4’ attic fans mounted on it. I used it for years to water cool a quad xeon farm I use to run for rental machines for scientific use and remote software development and short term db transition storage and such. But investigating and vetting customers to the point of insanity pissed me off to the point I shut it all down. The amount of human trash in the world now is stunning. I have been looking at some old Alpha cpu water blocks I have, old gpu blocks and memory water cooling blocks. I can water cool a light right now with some machining mods. I even had a 350R in the cart on HLG’s site with a good discount code as a experimental light fixture for the exercise. Have the big system under the house and boxes of old 120 x 240, 120 x 320 and 480 rads and fans. It’s very doable. But do I want to launch back into it? LMAO

1 Like

The water cooled monsters of the 80’s, IBM 360 and 4341 mainframes. Eventually migrated to the x86 architecture, as we called it at the time, and everybody wanted distributed processing. That grew into a forest of little monsters that took an army to maintain. Eventually the “Cloud” arose and we are back to centralized processing.
Have you considered an army of cryogenically cooled CPUs and GPUs mining for cryptocurrency?

I’ve dabbled in crypto. It’s not for me. I’m getting lazy. I prefer throwing money in the stock market and paying others to make me mail box money now days.

I was thinking about buying a mats 4by4 4800 led bar light this is my first grow would this be good for 3-4 plants

I assuming you mean a mars 4800 witch is 480 watts that would be the absolute minimum for a 4x4 there are a lot of great sales going on now being 420 and all for a 4x4 I would try to get over 600 watts look at companies that make quality lights HLG, spider farmer, AC Infinity, Mars hydro and medic grow good luck and happy growing

Ok thanks I appreciate the feedback I was thinking about adding another light in there