Let's talk DIY lights

@dbrn32
Hi Buddy,
Past September,
How’s things.
Loving the qb’s man. Got a mate hassling me to sort him.
So were the 3k good for all round growing? Seem to be doing alright for me.
Had to loan him Otto’s to stop cooking his babys with the old halogen 1,000 light. He loves it.
Parts have arived.
Stop by say hi…

3 Likes

Good to see you here! Appreciate you dropping by to say hello, and happy you are liking the lights.

I would stick with 3000k, 3500k, or the r-spec. The r-spec is newest. You should be pretty happy with any of them.

4 Likes

What avauge statement with such little to compare to u obviously know something I dont and dont wanna get into screw it I’ll buy another pre made light cuz that graph has 0 info on even what kind of strip this or what it’s even a graph of for that matter …I have asked you repeatedly where to start and u can do nothing but show me how what I’ve discovered on my own us wrong …can you please tell me what’s right like common I’m not asking you to build it for me just tell me what should I get for a good veg light that’s PROBALABLY won’t be used for anything else I know I’ve asked you 10001 questions but I’m not spending my money and still wanna speririotlr light to my hlg 600 vrspec v2s for a custom 2x8 foot frame…for less then 800$…and I’m gonna build the same power light in a 4x4 frame

That’s because every time you post the information changes. You ask me a question then try to post something refuting the information I give you. I tried to teach you something but you didn’t want to hear it. So I showed you instead.

I’m not sure why you seem to be making this more difficult than it needs to be. 2x8 is 16 square feet. It requires a total ppf of about 750 umols to veg. 3x9 is 27 square feet, it requires a ppf of about 1250 umols per second to veg. That’s assuming an 18 hour light schedule. So one of your proposed spaces requires almost twice as much light as the other. What do you expect me to do with that?

Gimme a good size to work with and what strips you want to use, and I’ll tell you what you need to buy. I feel like this is third time I posted that and have yet to just get simple response.

5 Likes

The space is 3 x 9 but I dont need maximum for veg so if I can make something work for 100 less that’s why I was saying a 2x8 frame for. A 3x9 space that’s under hanging the space hy 6 inches on each side and 6 inches on each end …not bad… right now u know how small the hlg 600s are and thats what I have over the 3x9 and about 3x 8 is vegging good but I would like to strech about that power more even over the area …since they dont make 3 for strips and 2 foot strips they do that’s y I suggested 2x8 I’d like to make it stronger then the hlg 600 v2 rspec but cheaper and spread more can u help me do that… I know the hlg is working but there has to be a better light or coverage and or delivery I dont need the best of the best but I do want a very good light I dont need 3 umoles a sec I’m more then happy for 2.5 I’m getting bet I hus wanna distribute that same amount of light or a little more over an 8x 2 frame since it’s easier t by e 19.5x 35 inch us doing alot for its size so 8x2 must help just dont know where to start or what kinda frame I’ll need if I need plate heatsink I’d like to make frame type I dont really want to make a plate type but I will if I have to… what would u use

If I was going to veg 3x9 space I would probably do it with 10 qb 120 boards in 5000k and two hlg-320h-c2100a drivers. I can get knock off boards to my door for $18 a piece, and I already have the drivers.

1 Like

Sounds great send me the link please I’d rather do that the price sounds great …u got specs on them boards would it be much better to go with a reputable dealer over knock off or are they just as good …can u please send link for boards and drivers to run them would u configure them in 2 rows of 5 spaced over 8 feet? I can do 9 in a 4 x4 as well 3 rows of 3 which drivers would do 9…when I get the parts I’ll if course have a few wiring questions

I can’t post link, not approved vendors. You can get the ones from hlg if you want. They will just cost more. If they are 24v 2.5a boards an hlg-480h-c2100a will run 9 of them.

Dont no to much about them but the 120s are basically a hlg 65 are the v2s much better or do they not make them

U cant message it to me or tell me with out the .com? Ones I see are twice the price u said

Qb 120 is the board used on hlg-65. All the specs listed on hlg’s website. Yes they make v2, same difference in performance as other v1 to v2 boards.

Well that’s the difference between hlg’s boards and the knock off boards lol. If you want authentic, hlg. If you want knock off boards, you have to go to Alibaba like everyone else. There are a few vendors that sell them. Figure out who you want to use and negotiate best deal you can.

2 Likes

How long is shipping on something like alibababa and is there a chance that I won’t get what I ordered and have to deal with all kinds of crud …but ur saying the v2s and v1 are the same? Or same difference in knock of to hlg about the framing tho it says the 120ndosent need a heat sink? But 10 on the same circuit would probally be beneficial no? Or will they just not get hot being how small…or am I providing more light then needed a d running them lower the 65 watts each? So I see they go up to 70 watts but 10 turned down will be efficient and still around 400 to 500 watts and u think those in 5000 would be better then 4000k u were making me second guess my choices earlier can u tell me y ur saying to get them in 5k now instead of 4? I’m just a lil lost …

And how much are those 320 2100 drivers would those same 2 drivers do 9 boards as well?

I didn’t even know there were different kinds of voltage boards I just saw u said the 480 would run 9 but would be maxed out 480 watt? Or am I reading that wrong

There’s always a chance for that, no matter where you order from. Mine showed up fine in about 10 days.

No. I’m saying the difference in performance in v1 to v2 120 boards is the same difference in performance as v1 to v2 132 or 288 boards.

If you run the boards on on constant current driver at 2100ma it doesn’t matter how many boards are there if driver is sized and wired properly. The boards run at 2.1 amps, and pcb is enough cooling.

The boards would run at about 50 watts each. If you want to run them higher you need drivers with more current.

You asked what I would do, I told you what I would do to veg a 3x9 room. If you want 4000k, get 4000k. I’m sure it will do fine.

You see, you make it very difficult to help you. I told you 10 and which drivers to use. Then you asked about 9, and again I told you what driver to use. Now we are back to pretty much repeating the same questions. Volts*Amps=Watts. They are 24v boards that I gave you 2.1 amp driver for. Depending on how much additional current drivers have, they run 50-55 watts per board. So 10 boards 500-550 watts, plus driver losses.

Hlg-320h-c2100a constant current region is 76-152vdc. So as little as 4 24v boards and as many 6 24v boards per driver. If I want 10 boards then I need 2 drivers and put 5 on each driver. The drivers are about $90 each.

2 Likes

Reason unsaid 9 boards is because I’m trying to build to lights as close to identical as possible one space is 3x7 would like it to be a 8x2 and the other light I need is 4x4 area ish may overlap some of the 8x2 light but have my clone cart in 1 corner want my moms around other wall and want 2 to 3 racks getting ready for flower room and the 4x4 is for the racks ther 2x4 each so 3 of them will be 4x6 so 4x4 will be plenty for pretty much fresh clones right out the tray into a solo cup for a few days once the roots take hold they go in the pvc asap but as soon as they come out the cloner they will be lit by either the edge of the 8x2

This is the area the mothers will be the racks will be where I’m standing taking the pic the racks will stay the for 10 to 14 days then right into the flower room so I’m interested in the 4x4 in being a veg beast will 4 288s in 5000k be compatible with 2 driver to run it a little cooler then hlg 600s I have u were right about how how they get when u run em high will 2 drivers over sized turned down help my running temps or will a certain amount of current maxing the boards out get just as hot 1 or 2 …4 288s are pretty bad ass if I spread them out a little better then the ones I got I’d be happy with that… 288s need a heat sink tho huh?

Right above the rack is a hlg 600 and it’s doing the whole 3x9 not perfect but everything is being lit by that light solely and 208 t5ho

cart in the corner… that’s not doing anything for that space for sure
It’s just to the left of that ac by about 5 feet

Dont those hlg 600 say they can veg 6x7?

Any of their numbers are solely based on amount of light over area. Their recommendations mean they will hit minimum DLI for that size space.

Yes 288 boards need heatsinks if ran above something like 50-60 watts.

I’m not really putting together what your saying, but that doesn’t really matter. The light I said I would build could be as small as 2’x5’, or you could build it dimensionally as big as you would like. If you want to veg the space with an hlg-600 that’s fine too.

Made up my mind 2x 480h 1400b drivers and 10 qb 288…the hlg 320 dont have enough forward voltage there about 50v a board at 1400 5 boards would but me at 250 and there max like 229 so that’s not compatible am I correct?.. run em at like 1050 for 2.76 efficiency and still run cool as a cucumber do the numbers match up correctly as u can see I been thinking about this all night… i want repuitible company plus I already spent 3grand with em so maybe they will throw some stuff on the house for spending another grand the 45 a board cheapest I could find the 120s were questionable dealer to me or out of stock… I see y u recommended the 120 v1 there efficiency is through the roof