Let's talk DIY lights

@OldSkunk you know I dont wanna build a light that’s not gonna he any better then alright I could flower with as well… may I ask y u buildt that veg light

1 Like

So veg a 3’x9’ space as cheaply as possible?

I’m asking @dbrn32 about the royal blue pucks. I take it for granted that it’s Robs thread. I know most of you are Qb growers and they grow good too. I built the light because I had all the materials and the COBs were cheap. Also to see how well it grows weed. It grows quite well. Anytime I want, I can change the COBs to a different color within a few minutes. I’m thinking of putting 2 blue COBs in the 4000k light to see if it makes a difference. I’m not trying to say anything bad to you. Just that I’ve learned a few things considering I started with a cobbled together t5 and 125watt CFLs Frankenstein fixture that drew 850 watts. I made it because I was flat broke. Come a long way since then and I learned if you want to grow good weed…you need good lights.

Pepe

3 Likes

All good. You thinking those Citi blue cobs or just going with a cold white?

1 Like

Citi blue for that DIY light. The COBs are only $9. I was asking if you’ve seen anything on the Royal Blue GrowMau pucks. I can’t find much on them. I don’t want to buy them just cause they’re the latest thing.

Pepe

1 Like

There’s not much out on them. My understanding is that spd looks kinda like Samsung strip but longer wavelength peak is about 600nm instead of 660nm.

1 Like

So I’m not sure it would be worth it to replace what I have based on that. It would be $560 to replace the 9 pucks.

Pepe

From my perspective, no. I would play around with a couple of those $9 cobs and see. I
Maybe if you see something you really like, then you keep it on the radar to go bigger.

1 Like

Are we talking about flowering too? If so, I could add one of them to each of the Rapid Led lights. I would need single drivers for each. I just bought 48” rails today. The 41” I got with the 4’x4’ kit are too short for my RWDC setup. With soil I could move plants around. Not now. I’ll have to move the lights.

Pepe

1 Like

I’m sure it would still grow. To run one citi 1212, this driver should do

Plenty others too I’m sure if you’re looking for something different.

1 Like

No not as cheap as possible as good for veg without needing co2 and I want it the shape if a 2x8 foot ladder … what’s the most cost effective say not cheapest f series double rows? Or q not really understanding how to run the q series as low as u say to get umols around 3… which would be best choice and get me to target area of 3x7 wouldn’t mind if it did more but I want the majority if the diodes directly over the mothers evenly spaced… its gonna be to keep my mothers kicking ass and reproducing shoot very fast… so I do need a good powerful light these are not gonna be small plants in the area I’m gonna let the mothers get atleast 4 to 5 feet tall from the top of the 10 gallons buckets I’m gonna keep em in… do you think the 10 gallon will keep em happy for a while? I’ve never used anything over a 5 and that’s this grow so I dunno I know smaller pot bigger root system you have to water much more often that’s negative part to growing in small pots …god thing my perpetual is gonna be single cola because theres not a ton if dirt but theres more then a gallon I can say a gallon is 213 cubic inches and my tall pots are 226 about 3 % bigger then a gallon man I go off on stoned rent tangents I’m sorry

1 Like

Would like to spend less the 700$ if possible because (the hlg 600 regular are cheaper then that and would do a great job still) a light for 600 watt light roughly

I wasn’t talking about q series strips getting to 3 umol/joule, that was for the L2 strips.

Usually for mother plants you want them in smaller pots, so they don’t take up a lot of room. But if you want to use 10 gallon I’m sure you can make it work.

Let’s remove what shape you’re building in for a second, because there’s a lot of different measurements here. Is the space you need to light 3x9 or 3x7?

I also feel like we should probably back up on which strips. You asked which of the Samsung strips used lm301b leds. The 560mm q-series is like a 2000 lumen strip for $12.60. The single row f-series gen3 is about a 4600 lumen strip for $15. Bridgelux eb gen2 is a 2500 lumen strip for $4.82 and the eb gen3 would be closer to 2700 lumens but I haven’t seen pricing yet.

I don’t know if an aluminum ladder would keep the f-series strips cool enough, but they are definitely cheaper than q-series. And cost per output the eb gen2 is better than both of them.

So it’s pretty much up to you to decide what you want, then I’ll tell you what you need once I know what you’re looking to do.

1 Like

They will occupy not much more then 3x7ans when I say I saw every graph showing alot more blue for what I could find Is like this

Its seeming like 4000k is the best all round and for veg wouldn’t limit the light has it has much more reds the 5000k

So buy 4000k then. Won’t make that much of difference either way.

1 Like

4000k in what tho that’s what I’m saying I don’t know where to start

1 Like

Pick one? :crazy_face:

I’d vote for the Bridgelux EB gen 2 (but I’d go 3,500K) and put enough of em on your fixture that you can run em turned way down.

5 Likes

@fano_man…what he said. If you go 3500k, autos will be much happier if you grow them. Non autos will grow great at 3500 too. 4000k is good for regular plants but autos don’t do as well. If 4000k is cheaper by a good amount, then I probably would buy them to put photos under. I have. they grow good for me. If I hadn’t had law troubles and dumped all my pictures from everything. I could show you side by side with the different light colors. Like I said…autos are the most affected from my experience.

Pepe

3 Likes

Are you sure that’s better than 5000k?

3 Likes