Let's talk DIY lights

@dbrn32. So if u dont mind me asking without reading thru 7700 posts. Do u have any clue on the drivers and chips in the vips. Are they worth doing anything with. And the growstars s600.with cree cobb I have 2 of the frowstars. 2 300w dimmable vips and a 600w vip with veg and bloom sw dont look like ill have luck selling them unless its dirt cheap and they r all pretty much new. The growstars are 5 or 6months and the vips are 2 to 3 months vips been on 10 on 14 off the whole time the 600 only on bloom

Just looking at getting a little helping lights on the walls if i can to go with the 260xls. Maybe add a touch more red atleast during flower and if i ever. Eg in there have something hooked for a veg helper

What is the grow space, 5x5?

They vary from model to model to model. If you get pictures of the labels on drivers I could get better idea of what you’re working with.

2 Likes

3x6 with 3 sides enclosed and one side open to the room (6’ side)… think over sized shower space

2 Likes

You can veg that with two 260 kits no problem, if you want. I’m pretty lazy, so would probably opt to do it with the 3 running at 50% power. Just because that requires the least amount of effort. From there I would give them a little bump at switch of schedule, then again 1-2 times per week, and hope to be at full intensity a couple weeks into 12/12.

2 Likes

Ayyy @dbrn32 I heard you might be able to answer some my questions. I’ve got 375 watts of led running in 24x24x55 mars hydro. Right now I’m thinking of buying a 400 watt HPS Floralux. The strain I’m growing is PlutoCutRF3 Auto.it’s 12 days in. Curious if I could run my leds plus the HPS? Or just run HPS ? Also would the sudden change bother my plant?

i

Here’s the lable if that helps :pray:t5:

ppfd follow the chart. Dial it up is better. First few weeks of flower is like veg. Making leaves and stems and roots. Without CO2 you can’t use the light well. No reason to damage it with light at that point either.

1 Like

Hey, so I want to up my grow to 15 plants and I want to get some really good lights that will produce some beautiful big buds. I also don’t want to spend to much but I want to get high quality powerful lights. I was looking at the HLG 320W XL. I was going to get like 4 of them. Do you think this will be a over kill
Or not enough lights? Is there a cheaper route to go on finding all the prices my self or is this a good option?

2 Likes

Just wondering what size grow area your working with and what’s the flower area on this light. Your on the right track for sure. I cant answer your question. Watching.

1 Like

These will a great job start to finish. As far as coverage I’ll need to tag @dbrn32 he can let you know if you are on track. dbrn32 the question is two post above.

3 Likes

2’x2 tent? That will be extremely difficult to manage temps in and to get to fit in. Sounds like more light than you would need too.

1 Like

What are measurements of the grow space?

1 Like

96x48x40

4 of them at full power would be little more light than is typically needed, but would give you excellent coverage.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 im prolly chilling with 400 Watts LED? I currently have like 375 between two lights one 350 and one shit 25watt. Both full spectrum . thinking just get another 150 or 300 watt led ?

50 watts per square foot is usually pretty decent even leds in use aren’t great. You are almost double that and looking to add more?

1 Like

Hi, after doing my head in catching up on 15 years since last grow (hydro and MH light) and tech, lingo etc, the light I came up with is something like HLG300RSpec for personal grow 2 (?) or so trained plants at a time and will build grow area that suits the/a light. Am in sub tropics so not filling area out to keep temp, humidity issues at bay.
Would love to diy light builds and thinking two lower wattage for light spread. I know about COB but dont know how it relates to HLG and spectrum for full grow.
Any guru advice pls if Im over thinking it and recommend if the 2 X 165w QB288 kits would be better than 1 X HLG 300RSpec or build 3 or 4 cob ?
Sorry for essay. Thanks in advance

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! I’ll put a tag out for our lighting tech guru and get you some qualified help. @dbrn32 different time zones so it may take a few hours.

2 Likes