Let's talk DIY lights

I think I’m going to build a manifold and duct the 4 lights to the exhaust. Trapping the heat ing the manifold and have air suck it out. I can build a frame and use extra thick foil cheap and fast. If it works upgrade from there.

3 Likes

Use a skillsaw with carbide teeth and it cuts great.(Wear eye protection) I use my Dewalt battery powered saw.

@dbrn32 what do you feel about the comparison of the ChilLed growcraft x6 vs the same price spend on hlg. And as far as hlg the option being one of their pre built lights. Or 1100 worth of qb 288s and make own.

Can u shed some light on these comparisons please. Thanks as always.

2 Likes

Or even a suggestion of going with strips from somewhere to build my own. Just trying to maximize my money and get rest of tent filled. Wiring and taking my time to build something nice isn’t an issue. Just want a very good veg and flower light to fit into my 4x8 tent and my 4 already assembled 288s

There is always going to be savings with diy. You can copy hlg-550 for around $600 last i checked. If you want something better it will get pretty expensive fast.

If you have four 288 boards should cover half of a 4x8. Which version and cct are they?

2 Likes

Not too concerned with price or effort to get there. Just want quality. The 288s would be the v2 rspec. If went that route.

Other than strips being able to dial in spectrum exactly how u want by getting each individual strip , is there really any other pro or con between that and boards like the 288v2 rspec.

1 Like

The size of the pcb can help or hinder a project, which may make one or the other a better choice. If you start looking at different boards the quality of led used and quantity of leds used will change power and efficiency characteristics of them too.

If you are looking at offerings from more reputable companies, they all pretty much use the same stuff. The package they are sold in is just a little different. I have 8 strips that have almost 100 leds each running at 160 watts. Its more efficient than running two 288 boards at same power level because its dividing the power over more leds.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 with regards to amount of light as the cycle grows from veg to flower, is it better to slowly ramp up the output or hit them at 100% as soon as the flip happens?

I’ll be running 3!HLG260 v2 especially kits, with only 2 powered at about 75%, and turn the third on during flower, but what I’m not sure about is:

A) spacing between lights (boards will be side by side, I’m guessing about 12” apart…6’ wide 3 sided space, with one side opened to the room)
B) tamp all 3 to 100 or leave at 75 and ramp up

1 Like

@dbrn32. So if u dont mind me asking without reading thru 7700 posts. Do u have any clue on the drivers and chips in the vips. Are they worth doing anything with. And the growstars s600.with cree cobb I have 2 of the frowstars. 2 300w dimmable vips and a 600w vip with veg and bloom sw dont look like ill have luck selling them unless its dirt cheap and they r all pretty much new. The growstars are 5 or 6months and the vips are 2 to 3 months vips been on 10 on 14 off the whole time the 600 only on bloom

Just looking at getting a little helping lights on the walls if i can to go with the 260xls. Maybe add a touch more red atleast during flower and if i ever. Eg in there have something hooked for a veg helper

What is the grow space, 5x5?

They vary from model to model to model. If you get pictures of the labels on drivers I could get better idea of what you’re working with.

2 Likes

3x6 with 3 sides enclosed and one side open to the room (6’ side)… think over sized shower space

2 Likes

You can veg that with two 260 kits no problem, if you want. I’m pretty lazy, so would probably opt to do it with the 3 running at 50% power. Just because that requires the least amount of effort. From there I would give them a little bump at switch of schedule, then again 1-2 times per week, and hope to be at full intensity a couple weeks into 12/12.

3 Likes

Ayyy @dbrn32 I heard you might be able to answer some my questions. I’ve got 375 watts of led running in 24x24x55 mars hydro. Right now I’m thinking of buying a 400 watt HPS Floralux. The strain I’m growing is PlutoCutRF3 Auto.it’s 12 days in. Curious if I could run my leds plus the HPS? Or just run HPS ? Also would the sudden change bother my plant?

i

Here’s the lable if that helps :pray:t5:

ppfd follow the chart. Dial it up is better. First few weeks of flower is like veg. Making leaves and stems and roots. Without CO2 you can’t use the light well. No reason to damage it with light at that point either.

2 Likes

Hey, so I want to up my grow to 15 plants and I want to get some really good lights that will produce some beautiful big buds. I also don’t want to spend to much but I want to get high quality powerful lights. I was looking at the HLG 320W XL. I was going to get like 4 of them. Do you think this will be a over kill
Or not enough lights? Is there a cheaper route to go on finding all the prices my self or is this a good option?

2 Likes

Just wondering what size grow area your working with and what’s the flower area on this light. Your on the right track for sure. I cant answer your question. Watching.

1 Like

These will a great job start to finish. As far as coverage I’ll need to tag @dbrn32 he can let you know if you are on track. dbrn32 the question is two post above.

3 Likes