Let there be light

Every thing I needed finally arrived and I assembled the light yesterday. I followed the DIY LED Grow Light video 100%. Plugged it in - you got it- nothing. I retraced all of the wires and connections this morning. I had it right - no changes. I can’t even send pictures. For some reason the sites photo upload stays at 0% so I am at a loss. Like they say All dressed up and no place to go.bummer
No idea what you can do on your end…

1 Like

Can you draw out how you have it wired?

And which driver and how many strips again?

Yes I will try to be as clear as possible. I appreciate the look over

1 Like

PLC DIY Lights
4 - Photo Boost Light Strips
1 - Mean Well HLG-185H-C1400B driver
1 - Rapid LED cased potentiometer with knob
2 – 16AWG power cords
2 – 2way 3 pin connector glands
1 – 2way 3 pin junction box

Note – AC power cord wire colors (applies power / AC side only)
Green – ground
Black / Brown - Live + (to brass gland connector)
White / Blue – Neutral –

Power cord to gland
Black to L live (brass connector)
White to N neutral
Green to G ground

Power cord gland to driver
L live / brass to Brown
N neutral to Blue
G ground to Green/yellow

From driver to gland
Gray / Brown + to L live / brass
Black / Blue – to N
N/A used red 18-gauge solid wire from gland’s ground connection to driver and secured.

From driver gland to light junction box
On the plastic 2way 3 pin connector I marked + G – opposite each other on each side of the connector
Power cord to light junction box White to +, Black to -, Green to G (this is different than the AC power side and wired according the greengenes directions)

From Light to light junction box
I used the same 18g solid red wire for all connections.
PLC strip Neg connector to junction box connector marked –
PLC strip Pos connector to junction box connector marked +
Ran ground from aluminum light frame to junction box connector marked G

I have been unable to upload pictures (it just shows 0% upload). I drew a sketch showing the + - connections and how I have them wired. Put I can not upload it.
Any way I will describe it. I have two strips on each side that straddle my current light. These two strips are connected with one wire between the neg and pos connectors. This is for both sides.
The outer most strips each has an open lead (one pos and the other neg) which are then connected together with one wire. Each inside strip has one open lead. Positive and negative. Each is wired into the 2-way 3 pin light junction box and matched up with the corresponding wire from the driver.

1 Like

I’m going to send you a pm, see if you can upload a pic or your sketch to it

Should look something like this, with no wiring on the other end of strips. Right?

Let me tell you a story about a man named Jed, lol. I have wired up more HLG kits than I care to mention. Which is probably a tenth or twentieth, or thirtieth of what @dbrn32 has done but I thought I was an expert.
So I have just finished hanging 32 brand new HLG 600 rspec v2 lights in a new grow room one day and my handful of employees are watching and waiting for me to fire those girls up. Let there be light!, so to speak.
Well I fire them all up at same time and it looks like mid day sun without a cloud in the sky in the amazon extremely close to equator.
Then one of my employees speaks up and says, hey boss, they ripped you off! 4 of them aren’t working right. Sure enough there are 4 of them with only 3 of 4 quantum boards lit up. I was so mad I started checking wiring, power cords, timers. Couldn’t find anything wrong, so I thought. Was just about to call my rep at HLG and throw a holy hell fit about shipping me bad lights when I realized I had flipped boards around on those 4 fixtures.
Can’t blame it on anyone but myself, so after turning boards around and wiring correctly everything worked perfectly. No I wasn’t stoned, don’t smoke, just f’ed up.
I know it’s a pain in the ass, but start over and rebuild.

1 Like

Been there done that. Eighth of 8 fixtures for @crazyots. I blamed the Jim Beam and contact buzz from dab rig that seemed to get worn out there.

Sorry to butt in, I want to build a light using 2 of the QB648 DIABLO boards, would anyone know where to get them that is not sold out?
Also, what would be a good driver for 2 of those boards? @dbrn32

No idea where to get them, but hlg lists driver applications on bottom of page.

1 Like

Wow, it’s right there on the page, just had to scroll down a little. Can’t tell over the internet, but I am embarrassed blushing now. @dbrn32

1 Like

All good!

1 Like