kw_Bat Journal "DWC and Dirt"

Hey @kw_Bat I have several stand alone models but this is my latest addition. It’s not too expensive and you can add remote sensors (up to 3)
I currently have a second sensor so I am able to monitor remotely my flower tent and veg tent from upstairs and the base unit shows what the temp/humidity is in that room where it is too so really can show 4 locations.

1 Like

Ok I think you were asking about little ones for curing jars…my bad
I use the small square ones that Bobby digital shows up a few posts…
Works great for putting in the area you are drying and into the jars for curing

1 Like

Oh i do like it!

I Am all about remote and monitoring! @Skydiver

2 Likes

And they come with sticky stuff to stick to stuff

1 Like

Just remember that these devices are “reference only” and not particularly accurate. I would (and do) have a more expensive device I can check the against before use. The sensor is a piece of hydrophilic plastic that is conductive: changes conductivity with moisture content. Not all that accurate compared to a thin film detector but those are more expensive.

I think the standard for checking jars is the inkbird.

4 Likes

Thanks
I just assume get the good stuff.

@Myfriendis410 @Skydiver @Cyle1 @monkman

3 Likes

i think this is one of the items that i have designated " go cheap" because of how many gonna have. for putting into jars to monitor curing pot, i don’t think anything more than cheapest matters. if you are going to use for auto controlling a tent that is a different story.

4 Likes

I agree, but it’s best to check them against something more accurate. I’ve seen em 10% off which would ruin a cure if you relied on it. But you can find out what the difference is from your nominal and record that value for each one and it’s pretty repeatable.

4 Likes

Gosh, honestly.
My experience has been, hanging limbs with buds all over the house. If it had a place to stick a stim, it had one hanging.

But, when we are talking cure, I have not done any research for ideas on how I would cure. I was like, I have time, now look at me, crunch time.

Where do I start?

My plans so far are, dry for 4 to 8 days and then out in mason jars, burping every day for the first month.

That is about all I know.

Then I seen them talking about hygrometer, wanted go look into to see if it can help with a cure

2 Likes

This is the Product, I was thinking the conversation was about, forgive me if I confused anyone

Has anyone used them?

I found them on Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-62-Percent-2-Way-Humidity-Control/dp/B00JV27MF4?th=1

1 Like

I used them on half of my last harvest where I harvested a week apart and the second one dried too fast to 50% so I put one in each jar and it took a few days but they all got to 62% and cured great My other half was 68-70% in the jars so burping helped and it got down to 60-62% on its own.

3 Likes

So nice to hear, thanks a million! RAP You are the man!

2 Likes

Drying IMO should take a minimum of 7 days: too fast and it attacks the terpenes and flavinoids (smell and taste) and promotes a “grassy” smell. The conventional wisdom is dry til the stems snap but that’s too dry IMO. There will be pockets of moisture hiding in larger flower that takes quite a lot of time to migrate out. I like conditions that are around 50% RH with about 65F for ambient drying conditions. When I get close they come out of the hanging racks and go into either paper shopping bags or clear totes. I can direct airflow over and across them with the lid in various positions to slow or speed up drying. Once I’m reasonably happy I use one of those small hydrometers and a clear tote and seal my harvest in that over night to see where I am. Once I’m at 64% or below I am ready to put in jars.

Boveda packs (8 gram) and burp daily. Refrigerate or freeze (in a NON frost-free freezer) for peak freshness. Be sure to lay a piece of Saran wrap over the mouth of the jar when you put the ring on.

FYI some strains, and with the grower’s help can produce cannabis that doesn’t need much if any cure. My entire last harvest took maybe 10 days after drying. @Not2SureYet does similarly. I got some 00 Cheese from him that is two weeks in the jar and it’s super. He dropped off a jar of Black D.O.G. from a clone of mine and he outdid mine for bud quality.

4 Likes

In place of the top? What does it do?

2 Likes

OMGosh, what a break down! You was reading my mind! Thank you…

Makes so much sense to cure it all at the same time in one container! Therefor having the same cure spread out over the complete batch.

Hey thank you so much for a hint of what process you follow! It does give me insight!

Myfriendis410 BAM!

4 Likes

got a little excited there for a min

lol

fire i tell ya

1 Like

The ring and seal both need to be on there but use some Saran to create an airtight seal. If you have a vacuum sealer you can make a big bag, loosely set the ring and seal on the jar and pump it out: the seal will seat and it’s airtight then. Failing that; Saran works great.

To be clear I don’t cure in a tote but in 1 quart mason jars (some use 1/2 gallon) but I use during the drying process at the end.

2 Likes

I also use 1 qt jars and fill 3/4 full with a mini hydrometer in each. At the beginning of the cure I like to move the buds in the jar daily for a week or so to make sure nothing just sticks together and makes nasty things grow

2 Likes

A couple of other things about harvest:

I wash my harvest in 1 cup of 3% H2O2 in 5 gallons of water (I use a “Homer”) and soak for 6 minutes with a water rinse and drip dry before hanging in the racks for drying. I try to look at the weeks weather and if it’s going to be dry I leave more leaves on the plant. More humid I’ll thin more. The leaves can act as a physical barrier to moisture loss as well as being an additional reservoir of water which you can capitalize on during the drying process.

I do it for mildew removal and other atmospheric contaminants that inevitably end up on my (hopefully sticky!) plant. This removes most of it. My last grow was entirely indoors and the water was BROWN.

P2150021

4 Likes

June bom is open

6 Likes