Journal 1: First Grow Ever

@Myfriendis410 Sorry forgot to tag you

This is up to you. For a first time grow Iā€™d suggest no more than 30 grams or so. Once you get a feel for what properly dried flower should feel like you can up that to 50 grams or so (which I like as itā€™s easy to track amounts). Different flower density can affect that too.

Another trick @Not2SureYet uses is this: inexpensive UV LED flashlight. Shine on fresh cut flower (in darkness) and youā€™ll see the color (kind of a blacklight purple). When flower has dried it changes color. You can track damp and dry buds easily this way.

You may read that you dry until the stem ā€˜cracksā€™. This is misinterpreted often and ends up with over dry flower. You will get that after cure but never after drying and has more to do with breakdown of tissues during cure along with proper moisture content.

Keep RH as close to 50 to 55% as you can and temps below 70F if possible. Total darkness is not necessary but a dim to dark room works well.

3 Likes

Do I need some of those small hygrometers for the mason jars or will i be fine with just the Boveda packs as they will control the RH? @Myfriendis410

Iā€™d get a couple as they are handy to place in a jar or tote and monitor.

When I get close to the point i think flower is ready to jar I put in a clear tote with a lid and an hygrometer over night to see where I am the next morning. Then I open the lid and cock it slightly to allow air flow and run a fan gently over the top to pull moisture out slowly. This might take me three or four more days until Iā€™m down around 65% then I jar and put a gauge in a couple of jars. Burp twice a day for the first week and once every couple of days after for another couple of weeks and you should be cured. Especially after doing a bud wash in peroxide.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Thank you so much! appreciate all the info and support. At this point I should change my handle to MyfriendisAlan :rofl:

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 So should I start putting her in the tote when shes a little bendy almost ā€˜aboutā€™ to crack or what do you suggest?

You probably donā€™t know what properly cured flower feels like so gently squeeze when you think you are close and try to get a read on the core of the flower by squeezing it. It needs to be a little squishy. Thatā€™s when you put in paper bag or tote to monitor. Do daily until around 65%. Better to come down to proper moisture content to maintain terpenes.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 Any properties of the stem that you can suggest would help determine when is a good time to put in tote or paper bags?

No, not really. Itā€™s very much by feel. If it gets too dry you damage the flavor profile and if too wet it will mold and spoil.

1 Like

You guys ever heard of Evergreen Pods? Thats what i use in my jars that i store my weed in now, I guess those would work the same as a bovida pack for curing as they are designed for marijuanaā€¦they last 5 years too

nope not sure what that is

Thanks a lot for all the answers and help!

@Myfriendis410 Hey I was just lurking around the forum and came across a post where you were explaining the same thing you explained to me earlier about curing. The other post you mention you move the bud from the clear tote to jars once RH is 62% but you advised me once it reaches 65%. Which one should I refer to?

2 Likes

62% is ideal. I usually chicken out at 65% lol.

1 Like

Iā€™m really interested in how it goes for you, hopefully it goes perfect. If not, hopefully I learn from it cause Iā€™m next

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 lol Iā€™ll stick to 62% then

@BigHuff2316 It went really well. Im uploading pictures and stuff soon. Just finishing up a call with a client here. Man its scary dumping the bud in that H2O2 solution hahah

2 Likes

Take a good whiff of the plant material before and after bud wash. The aroma after is amazing.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 Youā€™re absolutely right! I kept getting a whiff every now and then of all sorts of smells. Its super fruity like mangoes

1 Like

The other benefit of doing a wash is the cured flower remains green and fresh longer. I suspect small pockets of White Powdery Mildew (WPM) are resident in spots on the plant material which infects the dried flower and speeds up decay in the jar. By removing most if not all of the WPM you greatly slow down this process without affecting cure.

Iā€™m smoking some Purple Haze I put in jars in September 2018 and itā€™s as fresh as the day it went in.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 My man! always coming through with solid info. Thanks a lot!

I took her out on our back deck to wash her and dry a little bit so I had to walk around with her in the house. As soon as my room mates gf woke up, she could smell her all over the house. She said my room smells really good hahah. Its amazing, literally like lighting a scented candle. a cross of mangoes and strawberries. I really doubt this is Critical Kush. Smells more like a sativa or sativa hybrid

1 Like