Is hydroponics better than soil or soil better than Hydro

@Hellraiser @DB_Cooper and hopefully everyone else can help.

I spent $1450 on my grow system I currently have. I want to up grade but is another $4000 investment .

I have soil and was my first grow and turned out ok. Nothing near expected.

But I originally wanted a hydroponics set up; but it was soil instead of hydro.

So I’m looking to upgrade to a 10’*10’ tent running 4 1000w HPS/Mh and 4 exhaust fans, with a 12 pot ebb and flow system.

Advice needed. Should I just stay soil or is actual hydro the better?

1 Like

I really like the stability of growing in soil. I started growing in coco and it was a lot of work. When I went to soil (all I did was add composted manure/worm castings), growing became easier.

That’s what I’m thinking I just finished my first crop

Took a min to learn and to get down. Just been told water is better. Water might be over my head just starting out

1 Like

I really wanted to do hydro and that’s what I started with. I did ok with the help of a local grower. He actually warned me against it, but helped me any way. After a few months of almost constant work, I went with soil on my next grow. All I did was add composted manure to the mix. I use dry amendments and all I have to do now is water regularly and feed once a month.

2 Likes

Staying with soil seems to be the best option

Hydro can produce faster growth rates, faster response times to changes in environment, feed, and just about any other factors. It can also be much more challenging, time consuming and expensive.

I started in soil, just moved over to Coco and may some day try hydro but just changing to coco and jacks321 has been a very drastic change for me. Personally, I would not move to hydro yet but that’s not saying that you’re not up to the challenge. It can be very rewarding if you have all aspects of the grow dialed in.

1 Like

I definitely do not

1 Like

Being honest with yourself about that is the best way to get yourself to focus more on environment and timing. I want to get everything near perfect and produce the best quality smoke I can for the way I’m growing now before I try a new method again. I’m extremely happy with my results so far for my first coco grow, but know that I could definitely improve my environment, timing of adjusting the light intensity and timing of adjusting or changing my feed ratios. Heck, I even think I flipped too early this run. I guess I played it safe not knowing how much different growth rates can be so I flipped a little sooner than I should have to get the size plant I was wanting.

1 Like

I think every grower has a preference, across mediums. I personally enjoy growing in coco and soil, both for different reasons. Coco has the faster growth between soil, and hydro is the fastest.
If you have hydroponics dialed in, it becomes easier. A lot of growers will use RO (reverse osmosis) water to better control PPM, and PH swings. Jacks 321 recipe for nutrients, will make the easiest, and most affordable for nutrient options. It also has the fewest nutrient issues.

Nutrient Deficiencies happen, it’s part of growing and understanding and learning what to look for, and how amend it.

Hydroponics is one of the fastest correctable styles of growing there is.
Followed by coco,

Soil is last here. It takes awhile to bring the nutrient level back after a deficiency, but it also took longer to see the deficiency, because soil buffers everything going in.

As you can see, this is a short list of advantages and disadvantages across the board, it’s also about how it fits into the growers lifestyle too.

@Myfriendis410 can give great input into this also.

7 Likes

Great explanation brother. Spot on. :wink::+1:

:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

There are purists that say cannabis tastes better grown organically in soil. I must not have that sophisticated a taste to be able to tell.

Soil is going to be the slowest method to produce. Soilless media like coco can produce some amazing plants with growth rates approaching a good RDWC setup. Coco does require watering/feeding daily which can be a PITA unless automating the process. There are devices to do that quite well.

Hydro is fast, gets great yields, I find the terpene profile and flavor to be stellar if done right etc but at the same time problems can develop fast. A plant can be happy at 8 a.m. and dead by 8 p.m. if something is done wrong. It is definitely more technical.

You might have a look at Autopots which are a bottom feed system fed from a tray with float valve fed by a reservoir. This might be the simplest system I’ve ever used and not too bad on price.

@nicky @Not2SureYet and others are using these and might have some insight for you.

4 Likes

I grew in soil for a couple years. Highly amended Ocean Forest. I was getting better at it and switching to Advanced Nutrients helped. A bit of a pain and expensive.
With so many growers touting the benefits of combining coco and Jack’s 321, I took the plunge. Bought a one unit Autopot XL setup using coco and Jack’s. One plant, no issues other than some foxtailing which was entirely my fault. Ended up with over 12zz in jars.
I now have three grows going all using coco and jacks. Two are traditional top feed. It is a commitment but manageable
This is six clones in 1 gallon fabric pots in a fun SOG grow

I have another two in 5 gallon fabric pots in a 3x3

Finally I have three in autopots

Check out @PharmerBob . I think his size setup is about what you are talking about

2 Likes

I have my own Coco blend I’ve been using, this would be as close to Hydro as you get. My mix is very Inert medium. But the benefits is like others mentioned, it can usually take only a gallon of water or 2 with a flush for me to reset my medium. Downside, my plants roots expand too fast and the need for water, so I run about 36 gallons per week right now, but I also collect rain water.

Cant speak for soil, but this was my first grow ever and i did it with an aero/hydro setup. Aero is like hydro except instead of letting the nutrients sit in aerated water, the roots suspend in air, allowing them free access to as much oxygen as they could possibly want. There is also no grow medium used, so it does not affect ph. You essentially just have a net cup, and a neoprene collar.

The nutrients are delivered via a water pump, through misters that are attached to the tubing that the water pump is feeding.

A true aeropomic system is a high pressure closed system that has a reservoir for nutrients, seperately from the reservoir your plant roots sit in. The nutes spray at a high pressure to be absorbed most efficiently by the roots, and then drains back to the res. This is the system nasa tests with in space. Its expensive though and requires tons of attention. Yield is supposed to be incredible.

I personally use a hobbyist version of aero a.k.a. low pressure, which is basically what i described in the 1st paragraph. I also use the same tank for res and plant roots, but its only filled up to the top of the pump intake. Eventually the roots get long enough to reach the water, and the constant misting aerates the water, so i think of it as a hybrid aero/hydro.

Anyway the low pressure ones can be made simply using rubbermaid storage containers and pvc. They definitely require more maintenance and monitoring, but once you get the hang of it, its basically just checking ph/e.c. daily. Im more of a tech/science guy which is why i love this system. I think if you enjoy this kind of stuff, your ceiling is probably significantly higher, but if you dont enjoy it, it could suck the passion out of you.

Just scientifically speaking, youre going to get bigger yields when your roots have no resistance in regards to growing, and have a infinite supply/access to oxygen, but now youre also complicating things bc the roots are more vulnerable to root/nute temps, proper supplements, ph issues can really affect your plants more quickly, and cause more damage. And if you got a lot of plants, youd need a generator, bc if the power goes out, your pumps go out too. Especially true in high pressure systems where the pumps are the only access to nutes

1 Like

Thanks @Myfriendis410
Any questions with autopots just tag me with
@ Nicky (no space). Should show as @Nicky

Here is a guide I wrote a while back.

2 Likes

This is 20 days in DWC with return. Exotic Gelato fem RDWC - #11 by IKnowURider. To me, the speed of growth and yield advantages out weigh the added complexity. No extra cost - I built mine from Lowes and HomeDepot. Get a good PH and EC reader (Hanna is my pref) and follow the many grow bibles and you will be in bliss.

Before u make a big jump to hydro maybe try coco. Hydro is a bit complicated unless I have the water chillers and all to go with the grow. That’s the only issue I seemed to have was keeping my water temp at a reasonable temp without going over. I do not have a water chiller as they r super expensive. Coco is the next best thing to hydro in my eyes. I get rapid growth the growth is unbelievable compared to soil soil is a bit easier as u water and walk away for days and coco is a water daily project but the return product is way better

1 Like

So forgive me if this is a dumb question but Im brand new and bought this lil setup on Amazon and have some Durban Poison autos starting…

1. Is it crazy to try to to let them go the full time in this thing? (The light goes up to 3 feet high and I was thinking maybe I could train them to stay short and bush out?

2. Would it be smarter to let them go for a while in this lil hydro setup and then move them into soil at some point? Ive got a bag of happy frog and a bag of salamander soil.

I also live on a large piece of land where I could put them in the ground as well…
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, again, I’m brand new and just trying to have the first shot at growing go at least halfway decent lol.

1 Like

Name says it all. :joy: with soil you have to check runoff constantly trying to read your plants to figure out if it’s deficiency or toxicity and how to correct it. Don’t get me wrong a lot of people say soil is easier and other have say hydro. IMO for me hydro is just plain easy I know exactly everything my plants get and when they get it. Plus plants grow 30% quicker and bigger than soil. Follow my grows at That Hydro Couple - YouTube

1 Like

No I wouldn’t let them go full term in that at all. Autos should be started in the pot that they’re going to be finishing in. Not saying you can’t start then transplant but autos are highly recommended to start them in their pot you plan on finishing them in. Autos don’t have the time allowed for transplant shock like photos do. On average transplants usually take up to two weeks to recover and get situated in there new home

1 Like