Is anyone doing an outdoor grow in the North East

I am wondering if anyone is planning an outdoor grow up in my area? If you are what is your planned timeline? When would you begin sprouting seeds? I am considering a two plant outdoor grow on top of my current indoor grow. I am pretty sure I have a good location for it picked out.

1 Like

I’d start now inside then transfer outside when warm enough

4 Likes

I’m in Vermont and will be waiting until the beginning of May to start my outdoor plants. I was in the Boston area over the weekend and the climate is much different than here so maybe a few weeks earlier will work for you.
On another note, outdoor plants get huge. If that’s what you’re looking for start as soon as you want. You’ll have a monster plant on your hands. Big plants are really hard to hide. I had one stolen last season because I didn’t keep it hidden well enough.

2 Likes

I’ll be starting my outdoor about 2-3 weeks. @Oldsoldier1976. I’m in eastern Can and we can get frost up till middle /end of June. And yes they can get huge outdoor. :+1::grin:
Peace. :v:

1 Like

I’m in northern Maine and just follow the same timeline as other gardeners in my area use for other tender plants like tomatoes. Start indoors 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost date and set them out after the last frost date in my area, about the 3rd week in May.

3 Likes

I was thinking that but… just wanted to make sure. Thank you @HornHead

The frost is my concerned. I am aware of the size they can get too. I would probably be doing LST type set up if I do. I have an area that is protected from view from prying eyes yet it is open and in full sun.

1 Like

How far up in Maine? I was born in Lewiston and grew up there until I was 19.

I think that I will pop those seeds in water this week.

@shindig153 cool. I understand and I have what I think is a very good area to grow it in. I have a large garden area with tall plants around. There is a corner of the neighbors yard that has a patch of Sumac trees. This is a screen from the closest view from the street. My Spot is also 300 feet away from the main road and tucked up into my yard nicely.

I don’t think I will let the plant get tall. I think I will train it to maintain a reasonable height.

2 Likes

Yes sir, i will most likely drop my seeds next weekend.

I’m up north of Bangor not too far. Remember when selecting your garden spot that every ray of sunshine is important. I have a couple of spots in my garden that are shaded for an hour or two a day and there’s a noticeable difference between plants grown there and the ones that enjoy full days of direct sunlight,.

2 Likes

Cool. I have been up that way a couple of times. I have family in VanBurren and up even further north in to Canada.

The place I have in mind has recently been exposed to sunshine all day long starting this early this month until well into October and November. I have a foliage blockade in a patch of sumac trees. I think it will be an ideal spot for 2 plants I will build a scrog for that area as well. If I keep it low it will be well tended. I have two additional green thumbs in my house. A mother in law and a wife both of whom are really good with gardens.

Thanks @PhantomFarmer and good luck on your grow.

1 Like

I’m a Bangor maine grower here and I will be prob putting a couple plants outside at the end of April beginning of May probably.

I’m in VT. My plants for outdoors are already started. They stay indoors until around mid may. Harvest is usually mid October.
The fall can really give us some crappy weather, so be on the lookout for bud rot as cool and wet days begin in sept.
As stated before, sunlight sunlight and more sunlight is what they need.

1 Like

I think you nailed it. 4 Me…cent.wis, I Germinate around 4-20(lol),keep in sun porch till safe mid May. Out side!

2 Likes

I live in central MA and will be putting some outside this summer. My plan is to grow mazar autos (two of them) directly in the ground. I will germinate them this month and grow them inside until Mothers Day, then plant them outside.

I grew a gold leaf, chronic widow, amnesia haze auto, northern lights auto, and fruity pebbles outside last year. Got bud rot in all but the FP, AHA and CW. I’m trying to avoid having to harvest in October this year.

3 Likes

That is the biggest reason I don’t want to grow outside. Hubbs wants to do a summer plant outdoors.

I still plan on a couple plants outdoor but will make sure I choose a better hiding spot. I’m thinking I’ll plant in fabric pots that way I can secure them at night towards the middle to end of flower. It gets really wet here mid September through October so getting them out of the weather will help avoid bud rot.

Putting those in a movable fabric pot is a good idea. Good luck with your grow.

I don’t know if I will be around to harvest my plants. I would need to hire my BIL to harvest and I am not sure if he would get it right. I am going to be in South Korea for the second half of September. I will also take a side trip from Korea to Hanoi and Ha Long Bay in Vietnam and Angkor Wat and another place in Cambodia then back to Vietnam Saigon/Ho Chi Min City (HCMC) ending back in Korea for the rest of October and into November then come home. I do have a friend who is planning on growing outdoors and I can give him a few of my seeds to plant. He was looking to buy some seeds. I can get some of the harvest that way and not have to worry about it. It is probably a better plan.

1 Like

Sounds like a interesting trip.

You could always go with autos and harvest them before you go. If you start now you could potentially harvest by late July early August.

2 Likes

I have two plants in a tent at the moment.

2 Likes