Inch By Inch... Grow By Grow. (ILGM White Widow Fem)

I don’t use plastic cups often except for clones but I always use a knife to slit some openings for water to drain, I’m bad with overwatering too so I start with my seedlings in the peat pellets and then transplant right to a fabric pot to avoid the trouble of shock/over watering. I’m interested to see how your grow will go with the lights you have or if you get more! Good luck!

2 Likes

Day 8

I was worried when we left for our long-weekend get-away, and the girls were stressed from being over-watered that things might head south. Wrong again. Oh, the wonders of benign neglect. New nodes on 5 of the 6 plants. The sixth plant, that had only cotyledons, now has some regular leaves, if small and stunted. Progress. It still feels slow, but it’s heading in the right direction!

2 Likes

That’s what I did and so far so good…concerning you lights.

Thanks @Randy1966. It’s hard not to get anxious, or to remain patient, sometimes. But this seems to be a key ingredient to all this. I’m still very clearly in the early stages of this learning process.

Couldn’t agree more! I let these veg 10 weeks…I just kept thinking they should be bigger! Lol, but I’m easy with the nutes and good with watering
I was on another site till…it just feel off in teplys etc, but all the information is out here in these journals, I would just scan and scan till I found what I was looking for then applied , there’s just tons of info, I felt like its ask the audience and then apply common sense and lean towards the majority, I love interacting and reading others grows for the pleasure of it , bonus and learn lol,
Well I hope you keep learning and trying, I was right where u are now just 3 months ago and I’ll help with any thing I can…one of my mistakes during veg was I didn’t pH my water until about 3 weeks ago, its my understanding that can cause delays in the up take of nutes from soil and slow growth hence my long veg! If your in soil pH water to 6.5-7.0 and check this in run off. All I know for now man I’ll get over to your grow here soon and take a look feel free to ask anything u want I’ll tell you what I know, peace.

2 Likes

@raustin, @FNG101v2, @ExpertNoob, @Momtomask, @dbrn32, @Randy1966: Do you folks have any opinions about ventilation? I will be growing only three, though I only plan to flower two White Widows. (I hope to pull one and keep it vegging for clones.) I have a 2’ x 4’ grow tent (5’ tall). It’s in a basement and there is a basement window there, and I could vent out of that. But if I don’t need to, I’d be happier not to. I will if I really should. Thanks for any advice.

3 Likes

Even if you don’t care about the smell, having a good extraction fan will help to keep temperatures down which can be a problem. You can just vent it to outside the tent, it doesn’t have to go out of your basement.

8 Likes

Thanks for that super-speedy reply! I know I need to move air out of the tent. I don’t have a. problem getting an inline fan and carbon filter. Do you think that the filter will clean the smell enough if I just pump the air into the basement, or will that still stink?

I’ve heard of other having issues with humidity in a basement. You might use your window as an exhaust to remove humidity, or an intake for fresh air, or even both if you do it right. How does the temperature and humidity run in your tent?

3 Likes

It depends on the carbon filter. I vent my tent into my bedroom, lol, and it doesn’t really smell. It only smells when i’m harvesting, then there’s nothing that will get rid of the stink.

4 Likes

I’m hoping to harvest and dry in the basement “guest” bathroom… and just leave the bathroom fan on for a week… or however long it takes… and maybe poke the dehumidifier in the door as well, venting the warm air out of the bathroom. But I am a l-o-n-g way from that phase yet. Wish I was a bit closer. Thanks again for your help @raustin.

3 Likes

What’s the average temperature of your basement?

Good question, @dbrn32. The basement stays pretty cool, right around 70*. It’s a bit warmer in the tent, of course.

1 Like

The tent has passive intakes at the bottom right? If you keep that open and have a reasonable extraction fan exhausting from top, I’d think you should be plenty good.

2 Likes

Yes, I do have an intake, with a screen, coming in from the bottom. This is good information. Thanks @dbrn32!

2 Likes

ACK! I’ve got brown spots on my leaves. What’s wrong?

I can’t give you details on my water, unfortunately, since my water meters (TDS & PH) aren’t due to arrive, until later today.

They look a little wet. I think they’re overwatered.

I did water on Thursday the 14th. Last watering before that was June 10th. I did mist just before taking these photos. The soil doesn’t feel too wet, but I do worry about not having enough holes on the sides of my cups. (I can’t seem to poke more hole, though, without crunching the cups, and I don’t want to disturb the root systems.). I hope to pot up in another couple days, as soon as my qb lights show up (on Monday, I hope). - I’m afraid that if I transplant into 3-gallon SmartPots now, I won’t have enough light in my tent with the one light I have… I will hold off on water for a while though, and see if they perk up. Any thoughts on the brown spots? Thanks as always @raustin for being so helpful (to me, and everyone else in this community)!

1 Like

I think the transplant will do them a lot of good, and the brown spots are just from too much water. Once you get your new light, and meters you’ll be able to dial everything in better.

1 Like

Day 15

My plants still seem on the small side to me, but they’re hanging in there, despite my abuse. I gave them all a couple of hours of time in the shade, yesterday and today, with about 20 minutes in direct sunlight. So far, so good, with that.

This evening, I up-potted the four that I am keeping into 3-gallon SmartPots. (I’m giving away the other two seedlings.) I gave them a little bit of water when I transplanted, but was very sparing since I’ve overwatered them in the past, and part of the reason I transplanted them now was to get them out of these cups that didn’t have enough drainage holes in them. Now I’ll have to figure out the watering routine with these larger pots.

1 Like