I'm not sure what I'm doing

Howdy, I’m kind of lost. My plants seem to be doing well but not sure. The very bottom leaves are turning yellow but the rest of the plant looks great. I thought it was going to be easier than this because it seems the more I read, the more difficult it becomes. I’m hip to the PH but I’m seeing PPM runoff ect. It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. I had good success with last year’s outside grow.(in pots) except for some bud rot and a thief so I’m trying an indoor grow. I’m using Fox Farm soil and Elm Dirt plant booster in my water. Oh and my water is from one of those Glacier water reverse osmosis filter machines. I live on a small lake but am afraid to use lake water. It’s PH is fine but scared of bacteria? It’s a clean, healthy lake with good clean fish. (I eat the fish I catch). My lights are timed 18 on and 6 off for veg stage. Two fans moving good air and 78 degrees average temperature. 45-50 % humidity. These are Feminized Jack Herner seeds. I started these 4 weeks ago.Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated. I tried to include as much information I could and I’ll attempt to attach some pictures. Thanks again everyone.

9 Likes

To me ur plants look good And its normal for the very bottom leaves to yellow and fall off

4 Likes

Welcome and looking good so far.
Alot to unpack there and I’ll probably miss a bunch but here’s my 2 cents anyway…

Could just be dropping a leaf cuz she doesn’t want it anymore :confused: but if in that pot of soil for 4 weeks it is possible it us hungry and needs feed.
This is where the ppm you mentioned comes into play.
When you want to test your soils TDS “total dissolved solids” you do this by first testing the TDS of the water you are giving the plant and write it down. TDS is measured in PPM “parts per million” using a tds meter. (Can get one fir $15 that will work just fine long as you don’t drop it in the water completely, but I suggest a $50 or more one that is water proof)
But mix your water, take PPM write it down.
Water the plant till you have a good bit of runoff water out the bottom of the pot. Collect that water and test the ppm of that runoff water…

Compare the two numbers, and this tells us a few things. If you add in 200ppm water and the run off is say 900ppm. Then you know there is roughly 700ppm of nutrients that was in the soil plus the 200ppm you added…
In this case you know the plant has food to eat till its next watering. On next watering you do the same thing, give a little at 200ppm (or whatever your mix is, I’m just using 200ppm as an example) till you get run off to test, if all is well the ppm should have dropped as the plant grew some, if PPM is now say 500. You know you need to give nutrients to raise ppm back up…

There is a way to not have to worry about any of this until the last few weeks of flower though.
Luckily your growing photo periods.
If you transplant multiple times you can get away with not adding nutrients till the very end. Every time you transplant into a bigger pot it’s basically feeding it as you’re starting in fresh soil.
At the very end of course when in heavy flower, you can’t really transplant and will probably have to feed the last few weeks.

There is a YouTube guy that focuses heavily on this growing method (the transplant alot and feed very little at the end) his channel is call “Welcome to the grow tent”. If you search it should come right up.

But I highly recommend you check him out.
Growing indoors is a little different then outside where we are in containers a tds/ppm metter is just about a must.

3 Likes

Hi welcome to the community, these being feminized plants you need to top them most top at the fifth node.good luck.

2 Likes

They don’t appear to be real bad at all. They seem to look like they want more lighting tho. Are ur lights on full power if veg and bloom switches are both on. They r def gonna need more light for flower time more light bigger denser buds. Lights like what u have now will veg and grow weed but will most likely be disappointing to u in the end as it will be light airy weed anything with the white yellow look would benefit the plants a million times over lol. Let’s gets some guys and gals over here to make sure that u have a super successful grow welcome to the community by the way. Ur gonna love this place.
@kaptain3d @JaneQP @Graysin @SilvaBack203 @Low @Jaydawg6528 @MeEasy @MrPeat @MadamCalamity @OGIncognito

5 Likes

@CygnusX1 @CoyoteCody @ConcreteBudz @PurpNGold74 @Dman1969 @DebbieM @Graysin @JJ520 @Gremmall @GreenSnek

4 Likes

Agree with everything said above. Which FF soil are you using? Happy Frog should be good on nutes for roughly 4 weeks, Ocean Forest maybe closer to 6.

I’m not familiar with the Elm dirt plant booster you mentioned, but you’re likely at time to figure out what your nutrient plan is.

If you’re up for it, I’d fire up a grow journal. There are plenty of us who would be more than happy to follow along and help out as needed to ensure you’re successful. Absolutely amazing community here.

Also agree with @Mark0427 on the lighting. This probably the “best” investment you can make. If you share some info on your grow space and what lights you have set-up we should be able to help with expectations and / or recommend replacements if needed. Its VERY easy to inadvertently purchase insufficient lighting.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community and here to watch. Already got some great help above me.

Happy growing

5 Likes

Looking good welcome to the forum looks like you’ve already got some good advice would want to look and upgrading lighting for flower otherwise looks great figure out a nutrient line Jacks is always good :v:

3 Likes

I agree with all that’s been said above. Your in excellent hands. And welcome to the best place you can possibly be!! :v::call_me_hand:

5 Likes

My strongest suggestion right now is, as mentioned, be thinking about more light for four plants.

Secondly, I highly recommend topping them. Right now they look “strange” to my eye because they’re exactly as nature intended - one big main cola. If you cut them back to the set of leaves under where it’s at right now, you’ll double your real estate - two colas instead of one. I know that is scary to a new grower but I regret not doing it my first grow. It’s a quick, simple technique and doubles your potential yield.

5 Likes

Hey @Lostintheozoneagain
I think you humidity is a litt low for you early veg stage.
I think you should be around 70% on the humidity with a 75 degree daytime times.
Try this VPD calculator for your stage of growth.

Welcome to the community! There are a lot of great growers here that can help you every step of your journey. If you want to get someone’s attention type @ followed by their handle. For example @Lostintheozoneagain

Best to you!

2 Likes

Your in good hands already with everyone! They look great. Good luck :muscle:

2 Likes

A welcome to the community and am set to tag along. MORE LIGHT is the KEY.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the happy place.
Keep on growing

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

Traditionally FFOF and FFHF can last past 6 weeks before adding nutrients. My current plant has had only 1 week worth of nutrients and she is hands down the stinkiest plant I have ever smelled before. The soil was “supposed” to be depleted and its not.

This is the 2nd plant in the same soil. I do plan on starting nutrients today.

Light is King. Want serious weight, you need to break the penny bank and the first successful crop you will be so glad you did.

2 Likes

@Lostintheozoneagain
Welcome to the forum.
This might help you a bit

THE PLEASE HELP ME CHART
Answer these simple questions the best you can. If you do not know, or do not use something asked about just say so, or post NA (non applicable).

1. Indoor or outdoor - size of grow, tent, room
  2. Origin of water.
  3. Origin of seeds. seedbank, friend, bag seed.
  4. Regular, feminized, or autoflower
  5. Age of plant: Veg or flower
  6. Method: Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics.
  7. Vessels: Pots, Raised bed, Hydro (what type hydro)
  8. PH and TDS/EC of source water
  9. PH and TDS/EC of mixed solution.
  10. Provided lighting: Power? LED, HID, Fluorescents or other?
  11. Temperature: Day/Night
  12. Humidity: Day/Night
  13. Ventilation system: Yes/ No Size?
  14. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: Yes/No.
  15. C02: Yes/No
  16. Hydro:

a. -DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?

b. -Temperature of reservoir

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add: Anything else you feel would help us give you more informed advice should be included. Feel free to elaborate at the end of the survey in order to help us understand your issues.