I Think I Have Root Problems?

Hi folks,

I have a little baby working on her first couple sets of true leaves. I had started her from seed in the ground outdoors, but unfortunately had to move her inside to makeshift grow area. When I transplanted to a half gallon pot, I definitely cut a lot of roots out of the ground, she was so small I wasn’t expecting them to go so deep or wide. Definitely didn’t harm the bulk of them but it happened.
Water till runoff after the transplant and put her in her new home. Water hasn’t drained after 2 weeks and growth was coming in right in top of each other it seemed. So I transplanted into new Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil with extra perlite, from the miracle grow it started in. No pics of roots, but during the transplant I heard and saw some more ripping…most of the roots looked good, but the top area was very brown…newer roots looked nice and white, but the bundle up by the stalk was very dark…is that root rot?
Did it sit in water for too long? Now the bottom leaves are starting to yellow and die. I’m worried I have root rot or I just damaged too much of the root system to recover? Overall it just doesn’t look happy either!
Makeshift grow environment:
45Watts of full spectrum LED 18” from top
Runs hot at 86f day to 76f night at 50%-60% humidity
Fan blowing angled up between lights and plant top.
I’ve had a successful grow a little in the past that was all cobbled together, but the beginning went smoother. image

Welcome to the community!
I had to delete one of your pictures due to your address in the picture.

2 Likes

Thank you for that…didn’t even realize. Must have been a box huh?

It’s the one under the plant elevating it. No worries, just looking out for you. :wink: Just be more careful next time.

2 Likes

Appreciate it. While you’re here…any idea what I may be dealing with, if anything at all?

2 Likes

This is typical of damping off. The stem just got too wet for too long. Just overwatered. Just practice good watering, watering away from the stem, and you should be good.

If they come into contact with the soil they’ll die off for sure. As long as it doesn’t progress farther up, you should be okay.
I apologize for not responding to the rest of your post sooner.

1 Like

Thank you and all good on the response, the box was def more important. :+1: Okay, the new soul is barely damp, but still seems to be drying very slowly. Do you notice any other issues? Those very rounded cupped under leaves…just symptoms of the overwatering you think?

Typical of soil with lots of nutrients/nitrogen. Should grow out of it eventually. Especially if you transplanted to FFOF, from Miracle No.
Happy growing!

1 Like

Haha Miracle No…I like it. (The name not the soil) Yeah, I also rinsed the roots on the transplant, so I’d be able to check em and wash away the sandy hard soil from the ground. I should probably expect a week or so of recovery from that, right?

2 Likes

In my experience led lights keep the node spacing very tight if you wanted more spacing you could try to raise your light to maybe 22 "

1 Like

You might be pleasantly surprised at how fast they recover. They may not even droop at all.

Okay, the bottom leaves are noticeably getting worse almost hourly though…she’s been odd from the beginning though with mutated looking growth and whatnot. Just really want to see it pull it through. Had an amazing experience last time and want to repeat it, but I only had this one seed and don’t want to lose it to something I can fix lol

1 Like

I think as long as it doesn’t spread to the next set, you’re doing okay. If the leaves were damaged, they won’t recover. New growth should look good.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Is she in a plastic pot?

2 Likes

Yeah, plastic pot right now. I have a fabric pot ready to go when it’s time to move it. Would have answered earlier but the site kept saying to wait to post again. Think I’m gonna look at getting a seed pack and starting over. We’ll see though. Got some actual supplies arriving today and if she keeps trending down, it would only make sense to start a couple more and do it right. She shouldn’t die in vain!

With a small plant in a big pot you have to be careful about how much you water. It’s easy to over water them. And plastic pots don’t breathe so the water doesn’t evaporate quickly.

1 Like

Some of these plants even crave drought conditions, it causes their root systems to grow very rapidly and allows them to breath. Whenever I start new plants, I like to allow them to dry out considerably between waterings.

3 Likes

That’s something I learned very quickly lol

2 Likes

Honestly I think she’s looking good just a dwarf lol at least for now get the conditions right and she will take off brother :grin:

2 Likes

Yep…changed the soil and let her dry out. I think she’s doing well and gonna be just fine.

6 Likes