I have killed 3 seedings.......help!

I don’t specifically recall

Once you’ve soaked your rockwool in PH water you need to shake gentle excess water out if the rockwool. Dont squeeze the rockwool. Just shake. That rock wool cube cube hold moisture for ages. Especially in a dome. Your 100% damling off your seeds. If you need to water your seedlings, Ph water, really light watering. You only need the rockwool cube moist. Not wet

Depends where you are. They should let you know a delivered by…date. my first order didnt arrive but they instantly replaced the order. Took around 3-4 weeks. The guarantee delivery and germination. Pretty awesome if I’m honest. They replaced 4 seeds that didnt germinate

I started 2 more last night. I thought I would move the rockwool cube to the dirt once the stem is visible. I have some Fox Farms dirt with the Coco Coir in it (can’t recall the exact name right now) I planned on using. It seems I should use domes for little bit as well and not water a lot.

Does that sound about right???

2 Likes

I dome up until I see the 1st serrated leaves (also known as the false leaves since they barely grow) some dome until the 2nd set(or the true leaves) personally I find they tend to stretch to much under domes but are great for preventing helmet heads and starting seeds and 2 sprays 2 times a day is plenty of water for the 1st week then do light watering for 2nd

1 Like

The first week they are mostly surviving from humidity in the air and water on the leaves. So actually watering a seedling is kinda pointless. Better to do what @GreenSnek said and mist them 2-3 times a day, making sure they have plenty of humidity always. Shoot for 65-75% humidity.

2 Likes

You are drowning the seeds. Also, dont touch the seeds with your hands when planting and add a cap of peroxide to the water.

2 Likes

@Kcgrow let me know if you get breeder packaging with your seeds. I’ve never ordered seeds from ILGM, only from seedsman.com

I like how seedsman always gives you free seeds, and you don’t have to buy 10 of a seed to get a freebie. They also shipped my seeds in original breeder packaging.

1 Like

I’m a total noob but wanted to share anyway, please take anything I say with a grain of salt, these are my log entries since I started (a week ago today), until sprout:

When Entry
9/17/2020 2:07 PM Esther (GDP) submerged into shot glass with distilled water
9/17/2020 5:35 PM Obsereved seed at bottom of shot glass
9/17/2020 5:45 PM Transfered to SOLO cup w/Roots organic, 1/2" down, container cover, moist top soil and placed in front of window
9/18/2020 8:33 AM Misted top soil with distilled water in SOLO cup, replace tupperware with plastic bag, no sprout
9/18/2020 10:25 PM Misted, moved into tent
9/19/2020 7:40 AM Dim light and exhaust fan on
9/919/2020 Turn off light
9/20/2020 8:40 AM Turn on light
9/20/2020 7:42 PM Misted top soil with distilled wather. Observed sprout with seed casing still attached, or partial root exposure :). Either way it’s something

@merlin44 (sorry to keep tagging you but I don’t want you to think I’m pawning this off as my own!) shared this chart with me that I’ve found super helpful:

It helps to indicate what temp/ rH you can shoot for depending on stage of life.

You can also get a light meter app on your phone and record what kind of reading works better for your sprout. (There are also grow journal apps but I haven’t used any).

After reading this forum for hours, I find myself repeating this phrase when I think too much about tinkering, as if my plant was talking to me:

“Less is more, be patient, I’ll let you know when I need water”

I’m trying to keep my perspective matched to the sprout, it’s helped I think. Like I said I’m beyond a noob with this, I just wanted to share in the event any of it helps.

Best of luck and I find posting here a lot with as much info and photos has gone a LONG way in a short time for me, as far as my grow knowledge is concerned.

4 Likes

You can tag me as often as you wish…I don’t need nor seek any credit for any of this…most of what I know I learned from others on this forum.

6 Likes

I would also maybe not overthink it this early. She needs oxygen (nice soil or medium), light (just enough), and moisture. There’s so much more to stress about during this process. Take it easy with them this early. You only need her to grow right now. You give her that stuff and she will!

1 Like

Yeah. After I killed 3…it is my tendency to question myself

Yeah and most of of have probably been there. I know I have and I’m sure I’m not done fxcking plants up. After all the mess ups though you get way more comfortable which is where you really want to be. Maybe not all the knowledge, but comfortable with the information and the basics. If you rush it you’re going to be weeks into the grow dealing with all kinds of issues at the same time (too much light, nute burn, weird leaves) and it’s not going to be a hobby of passion any longer. Before being anything special she’s a plant. That’s it. Ive had tremendous success with germination as @Ocean described, then when you can choose between dropping her right into the medium or waiting for the taproot from a towel. If it’s your first time and your use a great soil you can almost get by with honestly the right light and just watering her. Won’t get the greatest yield, but it’ll be a success. Step two would be upgrading the grow area and reviewing what went right and wrong. A grow log app can truly be a useful tool when you want to go back a week or a few weeks and see how the temperature changed or what might be causing a current issue. That information is also useful when asking questions and requesting information on here and other forums as well. Good luck bud!

1 Like

Ha! I see what you did there…

Thank you

1 Like