I have killed 3 seedings.......help!

I have started 3 white Widow Autos as my first grow–seeds are from ILGM. I did them one at a time so I can learn this. Soaked my rockwool in pH adjusted distilled water for a day. made a humidity chamber from clear plastic pot liners, put the seeds in the rockwool and had them in adjusted water halfway up. they each germinated great. 2 were a bit leggy, one was more stout. 2 cotyledons, two 2 serrated edge leaves on each. and about 2 inches tall. First one I put 24" under a LED grow light. It was dead in an hour–I probably cooked it. Second one I just started taking the top off the chamber a few hours a day and it shriveled up. the third one I left in the chamber and put a 50w grow light in a desk lamp about 8" above it on an 18/6 timer. Opened the chamber twice a day to exchange the air. this last one looked perky for 2 days, then fell over and was mushy, stuck to the side of the chamber.

Obviously I can germinate them…what am I doing wrong???

1 Like

I’ve never used rockwool.

sounds like they damp offed from being to wet. @Covertgrower @kellydans @Myfriendis410 let see what they think.

4 Likes

At what point do I uncover them?

I have never used rockwool, I’ve always just stuck to seed starter soil. Welcome to the community! @TheScot other member will chime in .

3 Likes

How strong was the led(what was the brand)

When i dome my seedlings i take the dome off a few times a day then after a week i remove it and have a fan blowing on them gently to strengthen the stems.

4 Likes

Sounds like damping off. You could try a weak mixture of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water and mist the plants with it to kill any fungus that causes damping off. Plants love hydrogen peroxide. Water is H2O and hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, so it has an extra oxygen molecule. Plants love oxygen. Also this solution makes for a great seed soak to start them germinating.

5 Likes

I start mine way different, I soak the seeds until they drop to the bottom, if they haven’t within 12 hours I poke them with my finger, if they drop them, I put them in soil, 24/7 light at about 85 F and about 70%humidity in a 2’x2’ tiny space…I have only done 5 plants, but all 5 turned out without issues

2 Likes

Sounds about right.

Using that method, how long is it usually before you see the sprouts?

This is a SSH photo approximately 30 hours from the second I dropped her in water…just plain bottled water that is 6.5ph

1 Like

That’s the little SSH with the white stick in the orangish pot…the others are a white tomatoes my wife is getting started, If I remember correctly, that was the day I put it in soil

1 Like

I soak my seeds in a coffee cup for ~18 hours.

After they crack, I pour out onto a paper towel and seeds placed between folds of that paper towel. Excess water removed so towel was not dripping, but was nice and wet. Then placed into a zip lock bag and ‘clam’ shelled between two paper plates and put above my fridge (for warmth) over night.

The next morning the seeds had about a 5-7 mm tail. Use tweezers and plant root down.

2 Likes

Almost time to transplant those Kush @Ocean

1 Like

I had the same problem with my seedlings. Killed about 6 of them. Serial seed killer over here. Eventually I cracked it. Personally, as soon as they sprouted I took the dome off. My main problem was over watering and damping off, (seedlings falling over limp). What are your temps in the tent? Have any pics of your set up?
Stick with it, your crack it, plenty of help on this group

2 Likes

How long did it take for you to get your seeds from ilgm? Mine was shipped the 11th and I still haven’t received them.

Why is the water level this high? The rock wool should be moist, not saturated.
Welcome to the community.

6 Likes

I read it was the proper way. Having never done this and keeping it secret I have to rely on internet help.

They are pushing out of the Rockwool in about 5 days.