How long do I keep seedlings in the dark?

Hello I am a very beginner and am growin 3 plants outside. I have had some problems but with the help of fellow growers and the information from ILGM they are doing great!! Maybe I’m getting a little to much confidence in myself but I found a seed and a bag of Girl Scout cookie and I germinated my question is how long do I keep it in a dark closet for? It’s already popped up I can see the first two leaves on the sides but they are not green yet. I can’t believe how fast it came uo. My first 3 plants are clones.

1 Like

18 hours on for 4 weeks then switch to 12 hours of light what does your setup look like

@Duke1,

First I would like to welcome you yo ILGM please feel free to roam around. You can find a wealth of information. And download the book The Grow Bible its free and full of info. Here is the link

Download the Marijuana Grow Bible

OK you need to get her into soil asap. :grinning:
And give her some light.

Keep me post on how she dose

Will

2 Likes

@Duke1 You don’t keep seedlings in the dark. As soon as a sprout comes up it needs light immediately !
-good luck

7 Likes

DITTO! Its gonna die if u dont move it out of the dark ASAP

2 Likes

Ok I’ll move it ASAP thank you!!! I don’t have a set up very beginner. Just growing a few plants outside. Thank you for your help😀

2 Likes

It’s already in soil and I have it on a window will that be enough light until I can bring it outside? It only has the two leaves but there not sticking out yet or green!! Is that because it was in the dark? I misunderstood I guess justvthe seed in the dark once it comes up. I hope I did not kill it. The stem looks kind of long.

Direct sunlight might be too much for the plant right now maybe just set it off to the side might be better for a day or so ?

1 Like

This is what it looks like now!!!

Update!! Now it’s outside and the leaves are opened and I see two little bitty cannabis leaves😀 I did not put the plant in sunshine it’s in a partly shaded area of the yard. Thanks for the tips. Will it be ok outside in the dark with my other plants?

2 Likes

I would get it bigger inside first there is alot that can kill it out there,especially when its so small . Hell a grashopper could take it out in 1 minute,rain could kill it,heat, your foot or an animal, the wind I could go. On and on. . You need to put some cfls over it for a week or 2 and strengthen it up a lil bit before it g3o3es outside,and then you might wanna put a n empty 2 liter bottle over it for protection. Make some holes on the side so the hot air inside doesnt fry it

3 Likes

After I put it outside

2 Likes

Looks healthy for…NOW…MUHUAH AH AH AH LOL

1 Like

4play lol yes for now. My other plants are still alive and there in preflower so I’m doing ok with the help from ILGM. Made lots of mistakes and there still looking good

1 Like

Hi again is this considered stretching? I have my seedling outside in a not so sunny spot on my deck. I was told do not put it in Direct sun! I also found this lamp thing in my basement is this something I could use for inside lighting? Lol when my son was younger we cought him trying to grow in his closet and of course made him stop and I guess this was the light he was useing. And if it is the right light what kind of bulb? Thank you for any advice

1 Like

1 Like

No it looks okay you can start giving it sun now too, I wouldn’t put it out all day but I don’t see a problem with a few hours, then the next day a few more than half a day xcetera

…some might put it right out in sun, but I’ve got the extra day or two to let acclimate just to be safe

…and those lights are great I don’t have any idea what kind of bulb but other people here will know
-good luck

1 Like

I have been noticing my seedling is stretching it has been out in the sun for four hours today when I came home from work it was kind of bent over. I found this lightbulb at home and I put the seedling underneath and seems to be standing up right now. My question is can I use this bulb?

It’s not stretching it looks fine, leave it alone

…you’re going to love that plant to death ! ":slight_smile:

Just a little while ago after screwing up two or three things in a row I forced myself get the hell out of the grow room now before I screw up the next thing

… it’s best sometimes just to leave stuff alone, that lite is fine the plant is fine everything is fine

It takes months and months and patience is a big part of the learning curve

But if you must …probably could use a better picture ?

6 Likes

Better picture of the plant or the light?