I put in Tribus last. First Silica for at least 30 mins. sometimes longer, then I use Jack’s RO which usually brings my pH to around 6.3 pH. I let that mix for a bit and add my Epsom Salt, Hydroguard and Tribus. I was suspect of a possible root issue causing it to drop. Appreciate the help bro.
Highly possible. Did your system have a water chiller?
For what it’s worth, I had issues I couldn’t quite explain with my system til I got my chiller connected to an Inkbird wifi controller. It had a redundant thermometer, ended up confirming what I thought - temp on the water chiller and the actual temp in my res were two diff numbers. My water chiller got my water to 68° but it didn’t stay that way once it hit the res. I dialed my chiller down to 66 and got much more consistent readings on the Inkbird. It was designed as a fail safe to shut off my water chiller if the water temp actually ever did make it below 66° in the reservoir, and kick it back on if it ever got above 68.
Yessir, I also have my chiller set at 66 and get a reading around 67- 68 in the res. I did have a clog issue at one point and found my temps raising up to 70 - 72, but with a good flush I was able to get a good flow and temps were back down to 68.
I’ve been working nonstop the past few weeks 12, sometimes 16 hr days and just not able to give them as much attention as I would like. I had tried to clean up the roots with a 5 gal. bucket of pH’ed water and 15 mL of H2O2, but didn’t see any change after a few days so I put them in Coco. I’m pretty confident they will turn around b/c I have saved 3 already doing the same thing. When things slow down I will give it another shot. Thanks for the link, there is a lot of good info there.
When I was using auto pots I used Tribus original. Then I switched to Tribus grow for veg and Tribus bloom for flower along with silica and fulvic acid. Once the ph stabilized in a day or two it held nice no wave maker air stones etc.
Yeah, I did a lot of stupid things at the same time I ran Fishshit, so I can’t say with confidence it’s actually an issue. But hydroponics and organics don’t inherently go very well together. Organics like to settle and they like to decompose at an accelerated rate (as compared to synthetic, of course). My biggest “oops” was using Fox Farms Big Bloom - all organic and all sorts of settling.
I do enjoy my Fishshit but Tribus is less costly over time. I burned maybe 3 250mL and 1 500mL bottles of Fishshit in about 4 months, and have been on the same 1 liter of Tribus since Dec 2.
Oh, I have to ask - did the roots start taking on a “rot” kind of appearance? Browning, sad, eventually slimy? If so, next time you start to get set up again, we should take a real hard look at the system for potential light leaks anywhere along the way. I found that no matter how hard I tried to accomplish ideal climate, if light could get in my plants would die eventually anyway. I ran a 5gal bubble bucket no chiller in a 80° room a couple months ago just to see and it really is true - light is much more damning than anything else you can do to a hydroponic setup. My gal (Kona Kauai) made it from seed to harvest (2+ ounces easy) and even made me some feminized seeds.
All this to say - swapping to coco until you have more free time is totally a smart move. I sympathize with not having a moment to spare. It’s a miracle anything in my grow is still alive.
I saw a small tint of browning on the tip of one of the Durban Poison’s which is why I tried clean them up a bit. It wasn’t much, but I could tell it was start of possible rot. I was also suspect of light leaks, but for the life of me I couldn’t find anything.
Yeah, they’re impossible. I got around it by using duct tape to tape off the top 2 rows of holes in the net pots, then topping up the hydroton to fill the entire pot. That prevents light from seeping through breaks in the hydroton as the stem grows. I used cardboard covers for a while before I figured that trick out - the cardboard didn’t work for some reason.
What up grow fam?!? Again, I apologize for so much time passing between post, but I wanted to share some pics of my rescues from my stab at hydro. All of these girls are in Coco and are being fed Silica, Jack’s RO, Epsom Salt and Tribus.
The one Durban Poison (ILGM) has been a little slow to come around, but I’m pretty confident she’ll make it. My Strawberry Cough (ILGM) started out the same way, but she came around nicely. I’m hoping by the next post they will be completely healthy and well on their way. Keep rocking it growmies!
About 4 weeks in and all the girls are looking green and happy. They are all getting a full dose of Silica, Jack’s RO, Epsom Salt, pH water around 6-6.3 and Tribus. They are in about a 20% perlite/coco mix.
I’m in week 7 of flower with my Blackberry Kush (ILGM) save from my first attempt at hydro. She also gets a full dose of Jack’s RO, Epsom Salt, and Tribus, sometimes alternating with Fish Sh!t. I’ve also been feeding her with Big Bud and now Overdrive from Advanced Nutrients, trying to finish off some jugs. She should have 1 maybe 2 weeks left.