Has anyone tried a ppfd meter from an app

A couple photos using metal hydride lamps

The app seems to be most accurate using quantum board LED lights. Other light types more hit and miss.

If I can, when my current grows finish, I’ll mount the iPhone and Apogee PAR sensor to a board and do a more detailed comparison.

4 Likes

What light do you have there? @MeEasy

1 Like

I was thinking about getting the spider farmer 4000 and building an 8x8 in my garage. Still on the fence about building it vs buying another grow tent . Seems like I would have way more space and environmental control in a grow room. @MeEasy

I’m a big fan of spider farmer the one in the pic is the new sf7000 and I have two sf2000 in two 2x4s. I just bought the big one I was running a single 2000 in my closet and it impressed me so I bought the second one and put them in a 4x4 tent. Then the 6th of Jan I was sitting here i had just had cancer surgery that day and couldn’t sleep I checked my email and sf had sent me a ad for the 7000 I don’t know if it was the drugs or what but I bought this light at 2am that night. I was pissed at myself for spending the money but it was done so I just went with it and expanded my operation not really ready to do it but again it was done i wasn’t going to put it in storage and sit on it

1 Like

That’s a lot of light. I think was in a similar situation of thinking I was on drugs with buying the viparspectre, not sure why I didn’t look into it more but it works mostly fine except the heat. I grew my first set of plants with nothing but a 30 dollar led light and boxes covered in tin foil. Didn’t turn out very well lol. Would that spider farmer 4000 be OK in an 5x5 tent? @MeEasy

Just wondering how much heat those put off too. @MeEasy

1 Like

I think the 4000 would work in a 5x5 just fine. The light intensity around theedges would be a little low but that’s ok the rest would have plenty I’ve seen some real nice tents full under a 4000. Go to YouTube and search sf4000 and there’s alot of video on there, not just the reviews but the grows. I don’t always watch the whole video I’ll fast fwd to the end to see the final. I can’t listen to some of those guys and their music is not my style most of the time lol

1 Like

With the 2 sf2000 which use the same drivers as the 4000 my tent would run prolly 7-9° hotter then what the room is so it’s not bad. Alot of people will cut the wire and extend it so they can put the drivers outside the tent. That one of the things I really like about the 7000 they put an 8’ cord on it so it’s ready to put it outside

1 Like

I priced the difference building an 8x8 vs the tent and the wood alone would cost 400 so I think I’m going with a tent. The 3x3 just isn’t enough space. Might just use for seedlings and move them to the 5x5 before flowering. @MeEasy

1 Like

It’s always going to be just not enough space lol

1 Like

Every tried that? @MeEasy

Also now I’m dealing with condensation in the intake from the humidifier. Is that a problem? Lol it’s like a constant game when you first start out I guess. @MeEasy

1 Like

No there’s no need to add co2 unless you have a sealed setup with a ton of light. There’s enough co2 in our natural air for plants

1 Like

Ok I saw a few videos where they were hanging them by the light over the plants. Wasn’t sure if it would help. @MeEasy

1 Like

It is until you think you’ve got it all figured out and then something else pops up lol

1 Like

Yeah I think I’m getting that slowly but surely

1 Like

Makes sense really. The qb is probably most natural appearing light of ones you tested. Maybe mh is close, but most appear more blue than same cct in led or fluorescent. Which probably put it closest to what sensor/lens are expecting to see. After that changing light source in app is merely changing the conversion ratio. Not every blurple is going to have same ratio of blue to red. Not all hps bulbs have same cct, and so on. So the conversion will rarely be perfect, but a fair method for someone wanted to get a general idea without spending a ton of cash.

I do agree that anyone wanting to get technical about light placement should be using a quantum par meter. Thanks for putting all the pics up, I’m sure several will find them helpful.

2 Likes

Been reading y’all’s post, heck of a nice guy.
I have a home made tent! Didn’t know I need a humidifier?? I should have done a little more reading before I started! I have a cheap clip on fan. From what I’m reading, I’ve got some revamping to do! Tks.