Grow #5: Autopots, DLI, and coco! Let's gooooo! G13, Black Truffle, and Nag Champa

My reservoirs stay between 62 and 70. I’m on my 3rd grow using them and haven’t seen issues when it’s on the colder end of that.

2 Likes

That’s good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good range. Don’t want it too cold - shocks the roots and don’t want it too warm as colder water holds a lot more oxygen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation!

I just picked up one of these to assist with water pressure and less water waste. It takes me 4 hours for 5-6 gallons of RO right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMBPNHI?psc=1&smid=A2ZKGRENV5NC9J&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

1 Like

I didn’t even know that was a thing… cool!!

A little fyi on the aquarium heaters: They tend to fail in the “ON” position. I’ve been keeping aquariums for 20+ years and they always fail in the on position. Your water will get very warm/hot and can kill your plants AND melt a hole in your rez depending on what it’s made of. IMHO they aren’t worth it for this hobby.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! My water is measuring about 62 degrees, so I’m holding off on a heater for now and will just re-adjust the space heater.

Ok, the rez is made of PVC. In case I need a backup heating option do you think the aquarium heater would melt through PVC?

@Hellraiser @Nicky @Not2SureYet @emgoldslo @Pinboy

Made my first 25gal batch of nutes (rhino skin, Jack’s, Tribus, and Lumina) pH 5.8 833ppm.

The coco was damp when I transplanted and it looks like it was an awkward transition because they’ve been so limp and lame. When should I turn the pots on?

This is from the past few days (last pic most current):

Also, Cal mag issues already?

6 Likes

@beardless would love your input as well!

Looking good. Does look like a calmag issue starting.

I use a bit more epsom salt with my jacks 321 than they call for.

2 Likes

I can throw in additional epsom or use liquid Cal Mag. :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

I like the epsom salt better.

2 Likes

Maybe 2.4g to 2.8g per gal? Or is that too much of a jump?

2 Likes

You had awesome roots in the solo cups but I still think your at least a few days from firing up. The rule of thumb is when the leaves reach the edge of the pots. Hopefully some others chime in on that. Btw I have to go way over on the epsom and even add some cal-mag to keep up

3 Likes

I use about 1.6-1.8

3 Likes

I fire mine up at 10 - 14 days depending on my travel schedule. I don’t start mine in solo cups. Straight from 24 hours of soaking into their final home. They are no way even near the edge of the pot. Haven’t had an issue yet.

They were about twice this size when I open the valves.

5 Likes

I meant to say that I add 1.2g per gal. I just threw in another 10g into the 25gal Rez.

Wow you start super early, that’s good to know. What are those pipes sticking out of the coco for?

1 Like

Trying something new. Just 3/4" PVC. This is my first time doing this.

I like to use budswell during flower but think it clogs the lines and causes the valves to stay open a bit too long once in a while. Because top feeding is a no-no I decided to add the PVC to use budswell and other additives without going through the reservoir and without “top” feeding.

5 Likes