Grow #5: Autopots, DLI, and coco! Let's gooooo! G13, Black Truffle, and Nag Champa

It’s definitely possible. If you do decide to use one, read the reviews on it and don’t just by the cheapest one you can find. Over the years I’ve found that you get what you pay for with these things.

3 Likes

Looks like you are covered here. But once you are in the trays. I turn them on right then. You don’t really want to be top feeding. So you may as well get a jump on the game. :grin: I haven’t seen your grow in a long time @emgoldslo :thinking: I am so far behind. Can you tag me to it in the cc please :grin:

1 Like

Hey Brian,

Tagged you next door :sunglasses:

Updates:

28d since sprout
18d in veg

They were a little angry about the transition to new pots so I left them alone until the leaves starting “praying.”

Today they got their first topping. Average DLI 42, avg height 26". Temps 76F 48%RH:

The small cup is purple panty-dropper that a friend is growing to learn but I’ve ended up taking care of.

I’m dealing with a lot of biofilm and I think the 25gal rez might be too much for four plants. I still have 20gal left. Ph is 6.0 at 68F and 1061ppm ph.

I added some Drip Clean to the rez to help with the biofilm. Should I dump this and start over? Maybe only make 12 gallons at a time?

@Hellraiser @emgoldslo @Pinboy @Not2SureYet @Nicky @dbrn32 any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I’m in a decent place overall?

6 Likes

Autopots not really my thing, but the others pretty good with them. Biofilm in res is from tribus and/or lumina i’m sure, do you have air stone or wave maker in res? @Nicky or @Not2SureYet have a solution for this?

80f is my go to for canopy temps. I think a little higher than that is probably better most of the year for me to be honest. But I ditched all the automation and run in manual, soon as I see settle around 80 with lights on i leave there. But I won’t run a heater because I’m low, I just expect slower growth and a little droop. I’m not 100% convinced earlier pics were calcium deficiency either. Looked isolated as if maybe you have temporary ph swing in res. But if you have a legit calcium deficiency i would just raise calcium nitrate.

4 Likes

The plants look great. As far as the biofilm I’m not really sure. I’m only mixing what the plants can use in 2 or 3 days and don’t have any issues

2 Likes

Can’t really help much. I’m using jacks 321 and the flower tent reservoir I fill to 50 gallons and keep topping when it gets down to about 20 gallons. When I head out of town I fill to the film 60 gallons.

The veg tent reservoir only gets filled to 30 gallons until they are drinking more or I go out of town. Then it’s filled to to 40-50 gallons depending on how much they are drinking.

I always add drip clean to the reservoir.

2 Likes

I believe you’re right. I have two wavemakers - one on the bottom and one floating on the top.

Right again! I figured out that Lumina drops the pH significantly. I had to bring the pH up from 4.8.

5 Likes

So if you’re always topping off, do you not clean the res until the grow is complete?

2 Likes

Correct. I only clean the reservoir between grows. That said it’s only 8 weeks because I have 2 setups. Veg and flower. 8 weeks or so in veg and then they move to flower setup and veg setup gets cleaned. Then 8-10 weeks in flower setup and then it’s cleaned.

I try to clean the valves a midpoint (4 weeks) especially if I’m leaving town for a couple weeks.

3 Likes

What nutrient are you using your mix looks different.

Temp and humidity are below what is ideal but you have a humidfior in there and Temps close to 79/80f so as always we are just doing the best we can.

Air is the enemy so run one wave maker or pump at the bottom and never air stones, air feeds bacteria growth.

Most of us are using jacks in autopots and really any nutrient will work as long as it’s not an organic.

DLI seems good, adjust it as you see plants react with node spacing.

Not sure why the bio film is there how old is your mix?
All things to consider.

4 Likes

I use Jacks 321 Tribus and Lumina. It’s the Lumina turning the mix poop brown and filmy.

The mix is maybe 1.5 weeks? The bioclean seemed to help after checking this afternoon:

And the plants looking good as well:

8 Likes

Ha, blind squirrels find nuts all the time. Hopefully things will be in line.

5 Likes

I found for me. I can do 4 plants in veg. And get 10 days from an 10 gallon rez. So for the first few weeks. I try to start with 6 gallons. I am like @emgoldslo I just top off my rez most of the time. Or when one is low. I pour it into the other rez. And start fresh. I don’t pull the rez to clean till the end of the grow. Jack’s leaves things pretty clean.

5 Likes

Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I did some super dipping to even out the canopy. How do you decide between a scrog vs sog @Hellraiser ?

Purple pantry dropper aka Apolonia is doing her thing

8 Likes

6 weeks old! Forgot to mention that

1 Like

Lookin super healthy!

1 Like

I generally only SOG clones and you are past the point of SOG so I’d be looking to SCROG at this point.

4 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks! I think I’m going to put the net in tonight.

Hey just a heads up, keep an eye on your trays to make sure roots don’t grow thru the pots. 1 out of my 4 did this…

4 Likes