Getting Started on Outdoor Grow

Looks like you have a lot of great buds forming, I think you might have a few more weeks then you think. About 8 weeks I believe. They are looking good.

Thanks for checking out my plants TK. I hope the girls are ready in 7 weeks cause the temps at night drop down into the 40ā€™s the second week of October, and frost is a danger. Last year I was able to harvest on Oct. 4th. Next year Iā€™m going to wait until June to plant my seeds so the plants wonā€™t get so tall ā€¦ theyā€™re really top heavy!
MT

I have a plant like that, I have tied up some of the limbs for that reason.
Tom

Next year Iā€™m going to figure out a way to anchor the pots to the ground. Maybe before I put in the soil and seeds, I can drive a stake through the center of the pot and into the ground to provide more stability. As it is now, I have to check them throughout the day to make sure they didnā€™t tip over.

TLK ā€¦ how did you tie up the limbs? Iā€™m afraid to get too crazy with stakes and such because I donā€™t want to draw any attention to the plants. At this point, they still blend in with the weeds behind them, but the weeds are starting to die off ā€¦ and my plants are really green!!

MT

Looks like you did good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Latewood ā€¦ coming from the ā€œHead Groundsmanā€ thatā€™s pretty good praise!! I am so excited about the harvest this year. Hopefully, the first week of October, as thatā€™s when deer season starts and my neighbor is going to hunt in my fields. I donā€™t want him tripping over my weed!! :stuck_out_tongue:
MT

Hey MT. My plants outside are growing in a area where my dad put up some framework to cover with shade cloth. We removed the shade cloth. So I just tied it to the over head frame. My dad was a very good at making stuff with metal. Welder by trade. The walls are 6 ft high, but the over head is 7 ft. That plant I tied is over the top now, but Iā€™m on 2 1/2 acres. Canā€™t see them from the road. When you break a limb you can just tape it unless itā€™s off completely broke off.
Tom. Here I go rambling again. Lol sorry

Hi TLK ā€¦ thanks for writing. It sounds like a cool setup youā€™ve got. Do you have any pictures? Iā€™ve got 5 acres total, but only a little area where I can grow and the plants not be seen. My neighbors feel free to traipse through my fields hiking on the paths I made and pick blackberries! Now Iā€™ve got this other guy hunting down there next month. I wish I had never said he could do it. Rarely have company other than family so I donā€™t have to worry about anyone seeing them near the house and back field fence.

Thanks for the advice about taping the branches if they crack. I had a big one break clean off during the last storm. I did save the baby buds and they were pretty good.

Mostly it just sucks cause MMJ isnā€™t even legal in my state. Worrying about someone finding the plants is on my mind a lot.

MT

Itā€™s been awhile since I updated my progress. The girls are flourishing! Iā€™m so excited about harvest time. I took these pics today. Iā€™m wondering how much more time I should let them grow. Most of the colas are over a foot long and the buds are really big now. I am so freakinā€™ impatient!

Finally, today we harvested. I am so happy the plants are not out in the backyard any longer ā€¦ the camouflage was no longer working and I was afraid someone would see the girls.

I think we were probably a week or so early in harvesting today. But it was either today or two weeks after the optimum time, as weā€™ve got people coming up next week. I couldnā€™t have them see the plants or even stay in the room where Iā€™m drying one of the plants. I thought about it and decided I would rather harvest early than late ā€¦ I didnā€™t want a couch-potato high.

The cool thing is I got more buds off only one plant than I did off all three of them last year. My brother-in-law came down early this morning and harvested the other six plants ā€¦ heā€™s going to dry them at his house for me and he also said he would weigh the buds after they dried.

Itā€™s been a blast growing this year! I want to thank all the guys that helped me get to this stage ā€¦ couldnā€™t have done it without your support and great advice!
Happy Growing,
MT

They look great. Heres a pic of mine i think 2 weeks might be ready

2 Likes

Anyone know why my plant started growing on top of main bud again, not sure if you can tell from the picture or not. It grew about 6 inches in a few days with all new veg. On topā€¦
Tom

Tom ā€¦ your plant is huge! It looks great. I would have liked to have waited about two more weeks to harvest, we just couldnā€™t cause of the timing of everything. On top of having company soon ā€¦ my plants were just too visible to let them go any longer. Iā€™m going to give most of it to my brother-in-law ā€¦ I sure donā€™t need it all!

Do you guys trim off the leaves around the buds before you hang them to dry? Itā€™s hard trimming them ā€¦ when I try to hold onto the branch so I can trim, the leaves get stuck to the buds. Is there an easier way to do this?

MT

I try to trim close so you can make hash or butter for edibles, the little sugar leaves smoke nice to. It really what you like to do.

OMG ā€¦ that trimming is hard work! And I only did one! It took my sister and brother-in-law seven hours to trim 6 very large plants.

Tom ā€¦ Iā€™ll have to learn how to make something with all the leaves. I would like to try a body lotion ā€¦ just havenā€™t got to it yet.
MT

cannabis lotions
I was trying to put in a link to a recipe for the cannabis cream. OMG ā€¦ the link worked. Just click on the blue part. It seems simple enough and I can get the stuff I need locally. Perfect way to use of all the trim.

Geez ā€¦ I think this whole topic should be in the Grow Journal category. Maybe one of you tech guys can move it over there for me.

Thought Iā€™d let everyone know that so far we have yielded about 2 lbs dry ā€¦ give or take a couple of grams. Thatā€™s from seven plants ā€¦ and about 4 oz per plant. Still canā€™t tell which are the WW and which are SSH. Oh well ā€¦ they are pretty similar from what I read on here in the seed section. After we harvested and dried, we put it in quart-size mason jars and weighed each batch so that weā€™d have one ounce in each jar. Weā€™ve got 32 jars now and weā€™re almost done. The trimming takes a long time. My sis and brother-in-law helped trim the majority of the plants ā€¦ they said I was obsessive cause I was trimming each bud perfectly! :blush:

Being a beginner, I way overdid it this year. Seven outdoor plants was a bit much for two people to use for about a year. Last year, I didnā€™t plant enough and this year, weā€™ll probably have to freeze dry some of it so it doesnā€™t go bad.

Happy Growing,
MT

1 Like

Your wish is at my command, lol.

~MacG

OMG ā€¦ You are really fast. Thank you MacG! Youā€™re the best :smiley:

MT

MT1 great yield happy token :v: