Getch357 First Grow Journal

@Zee @Covertgrower @kdawg @NeoGroR @Bulldognuts and anyone else who can chime in here!! :grimacing: so I have been using since my 2nd grow ffof it has been great. when i was first starting out growing I asked for soil recommendations from all and I remember some people recommended pro mix my corrhizae. so today Im in my local ace true value and there they had about 6 bundles of this so i bought one I believe I got a good price on it but would like to know from those that have used and still do 1st is this the correct stuff and what is the average price you pay for a 60 LB bag? just looking to see if i bought the right soil and if i got a good deal. I also would like to know does anyone out there mix the pro-mix with the ffof? and if yes is it good, bad, or just ahhhh any help with this all would be great

2 Likes

Good question. Iā€™d like to see what others say.

1 Like

Exactly what Iā€™m using. I think it was about $40. The bx will hold more water longer so I mixed about 25-30% perlite with it because I was concerned about feeding it regularly so need it to dry out first. Glad I did! I had ff original soil on hand but decided to go straight promix to retain full control over nutes.

@kdawg ya so i only paid $29.99 for it so i think i made out ok :grinning:

1 Like

@kdawg so does the pro-mix work better than the ffof? or is it about the same? i just wanted to try it to see for myself so where do u get the perlite? do they sell just bags of that? and i have never added anything but nutes to ffof so Iā€™m wondering if i should stick to that. I just ordered 5 banana kush seeds im going to try as soon as they get here maybe i will use the pro-mix on a ww and use ffof on the kush and see if it makes a difference.

You should be able to find perlite where you got the promix. Itā€™s the white pebbles that are in most mediums. Promix is soil less as its 75% sphagnum moss. I only add nutes to the promix to. Itā€™s just I know exactly how much of what Iā€™m adding. If I added ff soil to it I wouldnā€™t know other than ppms what to add exactly to give it what it needs. Promix is inert. It doesnā€™t come with nutes in it. It has the mychoryze (?) Bacterial goodies in it. Hope this makes sense lol.

I found the ff trio and soil to be a pia for me. I wanted to simplify. With the promix you have to feed and water till runoff the first time. I use Jackā€™s 321. It took 1 1/2 gals per pot to get good runoff. I did it will a full dose of Jackā€™s. Now I know exactly whatā€™s in it and I just feed full Jackā€™s every watering now and Iā€™m good. No more guessing and wondering. Works for me. Iā€™m my case if Iā€™d added ff soil I wouldnā€™t know if that alone would be what they need or if I should have added other nutes also or how much of each one without getting nute burn.

1 Like

Havenā€™t used promix, Heard mixed reviews on it. Am a fan of fox farms soils.

2 Likes

Yep itā€™s the right one. Myfriendis410 swears by the stuff.

2 Likes

@kdawg o.k so what i hearing from you is when u first start out with the pro-mix u use a whole gallon of water phā€™d nutes etc and run it thru completely? so this may not work for me as I put sprouted seedling directly into a 5 gallon bucket and never transplant. so im guessing a combination of all those nutes on a seedling would kill it am i correct? I mean I would like to try it but all my life I HAVE NEVER EVR HAD ANY LUCK WITH TRANSPLANTING ANYTHING THEY ALWAYS DIE :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: so I dont know if the pro-mix would work the way i need it to but please respond anyone who maybe able to shed more light on this

1 Like

Have you already planted the seeds? The promix is pretty much dry in the bag. Plus it has no nutes in it. If youā€™ve planted Iā€™d hold off on nutes till it sprouts. It should make it a week on itā€™s own. Spray the soil and dome it. Spray the dome to. After a week use 1/4 dose nutes. But youā€™ll just need to keep a close eye on moisture. Enough but not to much to drown the seedling. Once she pops the medium water out 2" around the plant. I start mine in 4" pots or solo cups using promix. Once they outgrow those their big enough to feed and soak the medium.

1 Like

@kdawg Ok so have not planted yet. im waiting on some Bananna kush seeds till i start a new crop. so i use the paper towel germination method the seeds ive been getting from ilgm sprout in 2 days as soon as she has a lil tail i throw her right into 5 gallon bucket. it has worked for me never fail. I mist the seedling for about a week or 2 depending on how she is doing then start with regular waterings and around week 3.5 i start nutes
if I used pro mix could i use the same technique and just wait till like 2nd or third week to do a runoff or should i just use some distilled or phā€™d water and runoff then transplant seed and follow same type of system? what im taking from your system is the pro-mix has to be completely absorbed in water or nutes from the very beginning and this medium has no additives like ffof so whatever you add in stays? is this right? I just want to ensure whatever I do i do it right so i donā€™t waste a seed the Bananna kush seeds are $22 bucks a piece! :astonished: so cant waste them. but just need to know exactly how to prpare medium for planting from there i believe i am o.k with nutes etcā€¦ Thanks for your help Kdawg.

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™m not positive on fully watering the promix for sprouts. I know itā€™s easy to over water them and dont want that to happen. I think as long as you keep it moist around the sprout Iā€™d go with that then fully feed and water when you normally would. You should then be able to feed as you normally would. What ever you put in for nutes stays until itā€™s used up same as anything else. When my seedlings are over an inch tall with first leaves I pour water out around them to get the roots to start looking for water and grow. Lol I took a regular plastic water bottle and punched a very small hole in the lid. It made a great watering bottle to help control the amount of water and where it went for seedlings.

1 Like

@kdawg @NeoGroR @Bulldognuts @Zee @Covertgrower and anyone elseā€¦ so I Have aww in week 4.5 and she is doing great. 1 thing I noticed is her fan leafs are huge taking like half the top of the 5 gallon bucket. In the past around week 6 there would be some deficiency that would cause me to trim a lot of them off but this one i started cal mag/nutes in week 3.5 and she seems to be responding great however a lot of the bud sites are buried under the big fan leafs. What Im wondering is how many of you all continually trim your plants? and do you think by trimming say half of the fan leafs I would hurt her? I have read that the plant needs the fan leafs to feed her sugar (if im not mistaken) so im worried about trimming and causing an issue in what has been one of the best so far plants ive hadā€¦any suggestions?? would love to hear from as many as i could to get a general consensus

1 Like

here are a few pics please let me know what u think :wink:

2 Likes

I was the same way in the beginning. Essentially after the 2nd to 3rd week fan leaves can go safely, they may get selected naturally for the plant anyways. Especially towards the bottom.

Anything yellowing isnā€™t working as a leaf anymore.

2 Likes

I defoliate them weekly, and keep them pretty thinned out. Let them focus on new growth. By the time I get to flower, the bottom third of the plant is completely clean.

3 Likes

I hear you loud and clear on defoliating. Iā€™ve been hesitant to do so my self with my first two grows.

You donā€™t have to worry about light getting to bud sites until you start flowering.

1 Like

@NeoGroR @Bulldognuts @Covertgrower @kdawg @Zee @dbrn32 and anyone else that can weigh in here. so all of my grows ( which are only a few ) have been with fem autoflowers. so Im going to try something new Ive just ordered chronic widow fem but its not an autoflower, so (i think i know the answer here) but does this mean that i will have to make her go to flower? and if so has anyone here grown this kind? and when would be the best time to start her into flower? like how many weeks into veg should i start the change? or does it depend on the plant should i be looking for some sort of cue from her? Im just curious and would love to start trying different plants and maybe even try my hand at making seedsā€¦but thats wayyyyy off in the distant future when i believe i have a handle on this although it seems we are always learning with each grow but it just fascinates me :wink: :wink: so any info would be a big help here thanks all and Happy Growing!!

3 Likes

Now you get to let her grow up and out more before you switch her to flower.

4 Likes