First time growing outdoors.. what are my biggest changes to make?

I’ve grown 2 successful indoor tent grows on 4 autos each. Happy with the results with no major problems.

Now that spring / summer is coming, I want to try growing a couple of plants outdoors. Might be a mistake but I want to at least give it a go.

What are the major changes I need to research and be prepared for?

2 Likes

Size. Will a 10ft tall plant draw unwanted attention?
There are of course ways to deal with that.
Bud rot is a problem outside. Look for resistant strains.

Just read your laws for Virginia, Looks like you can grow 4 plants. Cool.

3 Likes

I’m planning to just dip my tip toes in this at first and start with 2 autos that won’t obviously get very big.

I have a locked fenced in yard but I’ll tuck them in a corner of the garden just in case.

I would guess dealing with bugs and watering issues to be major changes. Is that it? And should I plant in bags like I do inside or plant in the ground?

I’m sure some others will chime in. We can grow outside here in Missouri but I don’t have a secure spot to do it. I would lose it to thieves I’m sure. I will look for a couple good outside guys and tag them.

2 Likes

I think I can hide them well enough since it’s probably 30 yards from a road. One plant will go on a second story deck with no stairs down to the yard so I’m good with that one.

It’s legal to grow outdoors here as long as the plants are labeled and “secured”. Re: locked fence, etc

I’m more concerned about how to adapt my plant cultivating and tending practices.

2 Likes

I plant mine in the ground definitely a lot more problems growing outside bud rot being the worst but what the worst that can happen you waste a couple seeds

2 Likes

Bugs and mold were my issue. Caterpillars suck. But i managed that with a bug net and built a pvc cube surrounding my plant. Weighted the pvc down with sand inside so it wouldn’t blow over. Not enough so i also had to throw bricks around it. Hella windy in the hills of Central cali. Also kept the pot off the ground in 7gal pots. I started late last year and my plant was almost done by November when it got hit with heavy fog/rain in the morning followed by super hot evenings. And i got Bud rot. So timing is important. Keep an eye on the weather. It was a seed i found in a sack of gorilla glue 4.

7 Likes

What an isea with the bug net.

1 Like

I wonder what our crazy humid summers here in VA would do- I’m not sure what part you’re from but I know in NOVA it gets STUPID humid. I thought about trying one outdoors too…thanks for mentioning the part about it being “secured”!! I didn’t know
I’ll be watching this for my own reading
:blush:

1 Like

In order

#1 Powdery Mildew

#2 insects

#3 Grey Mold

@Lorenda_x

Since you mentioned it, here’s some more info regarding the law on cannabis in Virginia:

1. Can only have 1 lb. on the premesis.
  2. All 4 plants need to be labeled with your name, drivers license or SSN, and “cannabis for personal use only”
  3. Plants have to be secure so that they can’t be taken by kids. Fence locked or otherwise can’t be accessible.
  4. You can give 1 oz to someone as a gift but cannot get anything back in return.
  5. You can smoke it outdoors you cannot be able to be seen doing it.

It is what it is and I can deal with these legal requirements. Not a big deal to me . Just glad we can legally grow and use it. ::kissing_heart::heart:

1 Like

@VirginiaGrowBoy
I completely agree. I’m not looking to stroll down the road smoking a joint, I just want to be able to veg out at home and chill with my plants :seedling: :relieved::green_heart:thank you!!! I appreciate you posting that

1 Like

@Lorenda_x
Laughing my ass off with your comment about walking down the street smoking a joint!:laughing::laughing:

By the way, I am following all the rules and am 100% in compliance with the law.

1 Like

@VirginiaGrowBoy
Lol I’m a little mad about the name card….I mean. I’ll do it…. But really guys? My name? :roll_eyes: *writing name cards as we speak​:rofl::rofl:

Yes yes , I am too (now that I have name cards, Of course). :blush:

1 Like

@Lorenda_x

Yeh, I agree. Like they are going to raid your house and prosecute you because your name wasn’t on it there. Oh well… it’s about sleeping at night for me I guess.

1 Like

@VirginiaGrowBoy
100 % agree

1 Like

@Spiney_norman , I wish Missouri outdoor fence requirements were easier to understand.
I’ve read it, don’t quite understand what is acceptable. There are no links to pics or videos that I can find that shows (visually) what is legal.

1 Like

I grow photoperiods outside. I start them inside in the tent until they get a little size to them. I transplant them into large fabric pots outside so it can be moved around for more sun as the season progresses and out of storms if necessary.

2 Likes

When u grow outside you have so many factors that ur going to have a fight with things like pests above ground and below plus strong winds and stoms and depending how the area where you live is whether or not u have to put security around your plants to stop people stealing them or even animals so you really have to think about it properly to see if ur willing to do battle all those factors if you know what i mean .like me personally i wouldnt grow outside but thats my choice ,but if you do have a crack at growing outside i would suggest a good bug treatment plan in place and get ur soil ready before hand if ur going organic grow specially if ur using dry amendments

3 Likes

Yeah, the laws are quite vague in certain areas.
I have only heard of one person being inspected and that was before covid.
They are only allowed to inspect the actual grow area and must follow a path that you set. They cant go all through your home. Outside would be the same. The main requirement seems to be unseen from any normal vantage point in your neighborhood and a locked area that cannot be accessed except by you the grower.

1 Like