First time grower can’t figure this out

This has been happening for weeks now have read everywhere tried multiple things nothing seems to help what’s your thoughts
Temp lowest has been 74 highest 79 humidity is between 45 and 50
I have air pump also

w

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! :green_heart: :raising_hand_woman:t2:

Know nothing about hydro. First sight thought was nutrient burn. Brown tips, shriveling, but new growth looks better

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Djfanforlife88
Tell us about your grow and we can get to the bottom of your issues.
Perhaps the next one will give you a truckload.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can. If you aew not sure, just bring it to oue attention. We will figure it out.

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow?
  2. Otigin of seeds?
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower?
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night?
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
  13. Co2 Yes / No?
  14. How long have you been growing?
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other?

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir?

3 Likes
  1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow? Indoor one plant
  2. Otigin of seeds?
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower?
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night?
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
  13. Co2 Yes / No?
  14. How long have you been growing?
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other?

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir?

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow? Indoor one plant
  2. Otigin of seeds? Captain red beard
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower? Autoflower
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water? From my faucet
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain. Hydro I use aero garden elite
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used. I use the fox farm 3 pack
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate. Led bloom 2500
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night? 75 to 80 24/7
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night? 45 to 50% 24/7
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier? Ac and heater it is controlled space and an humidifier
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"? No ventilation I have a fan in there to blow on the plant
  13. Co2 Yes / No? No
  14. How long have you been growing? First time plant is at 47 days
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully? I am building a grow room in have currently $1200 in it
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other? In aero garden elite

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir? 3/4 of a gallon water temp is 72.3

Thank you

I can’t offer advice as I am a Soil grower. Welcome to the community. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you
Once my grow room is built I think that’s the way I’m gonna go in soil.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I am a soil grower but I am sure someone more experienced will chime in soon.

Do you check the pH of your solution?

1 Like

Welcome my freind :ok_hand:
I’m not a hydro expert at all but I know a thing or two I believe :sweat_smile:

Just a first impression guess, but looks like nutrient toxicity to me.

Small shallow tanks are bad to get build-up of salts.
And hard to control Temps and ph of small tanks…

It seems like for a beginner it would be a good idea to go small at first. But it’s actually the opposite…

People do grow in the areo gardens so I can be done, it’s just not a good idea for beginners in my opinion…

But, idk if it will do anything but I do not think it will hurt at all…
Can you move the plant to a larger set up with more nutrient solution? Can you rig up a bucket or just anything that will hold more water and preferably deeper then the areo garden.

But before you do it, we should probably venture into the nutrients a little bit.

What is the ppm when you add it and are you adding it as it needs it or are you completely changing it out?

I have started going by this chart this week was going by fox farm website I put clean ph 5.8 water and nutrients every 2 weeks have been making 1 gallon of nutrients put 3/4 gallon in unit and adding the rest to keep full but thinking to much on nutrients so this time I am just topping off with ph balance water.

2 Likes

Sounds like about exactly what I was going to suggest.
I’d say the mix a gal add the last bit in should be jyst fine.
The ppm at the very bottom if nutrient salt builds up can be threw the roof but water towards the top and middle may test fine was my concern in a small shallow tank. But fresh tanks every couple of weeks should eliminate that possibility.

So yeah man you may have figured it out. If it’s no trouble, I would maybe start with a fresh solution mixed at half what I gave last time and see whatbit does. With hydro it shouldn’t take a day or 2 possibly see a change in 12 hours.
If half strength seems to low then go up to 75% and just play with it… this be great experience for when your room in done :grin:

1 Like

Welcome to the community ! my frist thought looking at the picture I see the cheap ph meter that could be Leading you down the wrong path. I do recommend verify your meter with a clean fresh bottle of 7 ph solution. You might consider in the Future apera or blue lab meter. Good luck my friend !

2 Likes

Chlorine may be an issue. Do you do anything to dechlorinate before introducing to your res?

Ouch. I’ll explain why shortly.

Your water is too hot.

Okay - sorry to unload on you but this will make everything (hopefully) clear and as concise as I can be (I talk a lot, sorry in advance).

1- not knowing your PPMs/TDS of your nutrient solution in your reservoir, I’m left to believe there are many issues, the first of which is your nutrients are too strong.

2- if you are following Fox Farms’ feed schedule, I guarantee your plant is getting too much and too little at the same time. Their formula on the Trio is designed to make you have to buy their supplemental products to be able to get truly good results. For example, Grow Big has good nitrogen but way too much to actually use it during flower without nitrogen burning your plants. Tiger Bloom is fine during flowering but it doesn’t have enough of either P or K to keep deficiencies at bay. None of the FF trio contain enough calcium or magnesium to be useful, particularly now that your girl is in flower. The more P/K she uses, the more she is going to use magnesium.

3- I think what you’re seeing is a combination of excessive nitrogen and perhaps other nutrient build up, leading to the crispy tips. You are also possibly seeing the result of the PH being way different than it should be. I have never used a cheap PH meter (I simply didn’t have one when I started, so you’re already ahead of me) so I can’t speak to how accurate they are for how long. Finally, I believe you have a deficiency in the P/K/Cal/Mag department, largely because the symptoms of the paling leaves look like hunger but the crisp tips at the bottom of the plant moving upward are clear indicators of nutrient burn.

4- I mention your water temperatures because one thing hot water does is damage roots. It promotes algae and other bad bacterial growth, while simultaneously reducing available oxygen in your reservoir. This can lead to ultimately drowning your plant.

5- I agree the reservoir you’re using is rather small. It’s kind of shallow considering the root system these things will develop if allowed.

Finally, fox farms (as mentioned above) is essentially hot garbage unless you follow their entire nutrient schedule from start to finish, including flushes/full system clean outs and have all of their suplemental products at your disposal. Even then it’s simply just a lot of work. I can’t criticize for the choice, it’s what I started with and still use on rare occasion when I don’t feel like weighing out my Jack’s (laziness does not pay).

I hope that is helpful - feel free to ask away. I’m not the best at leaf diagnosis, but you do seem to have a number of things working against you at this stage.

Welcome aboard btw :v:

4 Likes

You were 100% right on this one I hooked up my blue lab it was off by .8 instead of 5.8 I was doing 6.6 First part of the puzzle figured out thank you

1 Like

What is a better source of nutrients
I can measure my TDS with the meter right now it’s telling me 1010

1 Like

Jacks 321 is a great nutrient supplement I have learned!
I myself started with the FF trio and it was a nightmare, to be honest. Jacks is super easy to use and measure out, and am greatful I made the switch when I did.

@Graysin was one of the ones who helped me get in the right direction when it came to healthy growth and proper nutrient care.

OH, plus if you buy the round of jacks all together, it will literally be enough to last you a lifetime :metal:t4:

Happy growing :v:t5:

2 Likes

Agree with @Trvff (thanks for the tag - I’m stoked about your grow progres). Jack’s is the easiest and most economic option by a long shot.

2 Likes

This set up here?

2 Likes