Everyone Post your Newbie Mistakes (all growers new and old timers)

Ph? what the heck is ph? I thought this was for pools, spas, and such things. Biggest mistake! Hot soil for seedlings, light too close light too far away. No drainage holes in buckets. No vents no way of telling temps, humidity, not realizing plants will double or triple in size once flowered and ran out head room. Light leaks during dark period causing hermies and plants to revert back to a veg state. Not realizing how fast and plentiful roots grow and letting plants go root bound. Basically just about everything you could do wrong I have done. All from not doin enough research. And waiting until I was neck deep in problems before looking to see what i really should be doing. And honestly I can thank a lot of the folks right here on this site to taking my grows from an half oz to oz per plant to to getting anywhere to 3 to a qp per plant. All i can say to any noops out there wanting to learn research research and do some research many ways to skin a cat find the one you like and works for you and your growing environment and go with it.

4 Likes

Thank you for this… don’t feel to badly as I have made may of these same mistakes even after my research :fearful: I did the research and am still but i missed things or didn’t fully understand what had been said - I have had this forum to come to all along and it has always helped clear things up-I do appreciate how fortunate I am to have it. I like the public forum and getting everyones advice- I look forward to hearing from the regulars when i post a question and am glad for the new folks too as Im always pleasantly surprised at the co-operation going on here! kinda restores my faith in humanity at times lol so thank you :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

my faith in humanity has been a snowball heading toward hades! it is great when you do find a likeminded group of folks that can openly discuss our success,failures,and knowledge about growing a complex plant…brotherhood!, this includes tha’ sistas’too. gpital, humanity has done went crazy!lol

5 Likes

I got tons of hash out of it because the whole crop was unsmokable, good for nothing else …I’m still making hash out of it LOL :v::wink:

I wouldn’t use neem past 2 weeks into flower (stretch period), I used it till about 4 weeks and it didn’t turn out well :thumbsdown:

2 Likes

LOL I’ve made so many mistakes where to begin???

Oh ya! …that was my first thought too! LOL

you should see the fim’s I’ve got going now, they’re finally growing back normal tops but now it looks like the plants have umbrellas for tops ! LOL

…check out these films!

It’s not actually as bad as that picture looks, (but it’s not great ?!) :laughing:

At least they’re finally starting to Bud !

This is the only one of the three Incredible bulks (from seed) that has the leaf tip curl, it’s had it since the beginning, I don’t worry about it at this point cuz the other two don’t have it, probably will start taking my clones from the other ones from now on

4 Likes

New grower here. When I was growing my plants outside last summer I thought Catapillar’s were eating my leaves. I looked up on the internet what to do!! So I took dawn dish soap and vegetable oil and sprayed my plants😯I came home from work to a site!!! All my leaves on the plant burnt😩 My plants did come back but did not get much off of them.Uploading…

3 Likes

oh gosh- I honestly have to say I’m really glad I’m not dealing with insects inside- with the fans going i don’t even get those nats really… Sorry to hear about this and Thank you for posting it as it may save other folks the same horror show xo Thanks @Duke1

2 Likes

New grower here but my first grow was in a cabinet was doing well for a month and I got to comfortable thinking I got this . And started giving extra nutes and additives next thing I knew plant went limp everywhere and had a strange Oder and died . Not sure what it was the did it but learned not to get cocky and that every grow is a learning experience still have issues with my current grow of gold leaf but I am learning . And by the way just saying chickens love cannabis left my plant out side to get fresh air and the chickens got to it and eaten some bud I scared them away and swear 1 of them was running sideways and fell over funniest thing I have seen .

7 Likes

@gpitel yeah my first inside grow and thankfully I have no bugs. But I will say outside growing was so much easier.

6 Likes

Your problem was either to strong of a concoction or you sprayed before sun up or during sun up…
I’ve had the opportunity of taking care of over a thousand plants in a big Cali facility… When your doing things on that scale you really have to put your thinking cap on…
We would mix 2 oz of canola oil and a Lil squirt of dawn dish soap to a gallon of water and spray when the sun went down…
Just thought I would share for your future projects… :relaxed:

:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

OMG, that’s too funny, I could never bring myself to spraying my plants with Dish Soap in Any ratio,
I use “Garden Safe Fungicide 3” , a multi purpose and organic use Fungicide, Insecticide and Miticide, although it Doesn’t leave my plants with a clean and sparkly shine and lemony fresh scent, it Does well on bugs and fungus !!

4 Likes

don’t knock dish soap…I have used Dawn, a tablespoon per gallon of water, outdoors successfully…what @Duke1 mentioned was vegetable oil which isn’t so good, it’ll suffocate the plant along with any bugs it covers.:wink:

2 Likes

Let’s see dropped light on plant broke limb off kept eye on it just not close enough hermied on me now every plant around it has seeds. Gold leaf crossed with ak47 seeds will put up for later use

2 Likes

Oh no , please don’t get me wrong, I’m not laughing at anyone or knocking any remedies, Its just that after we (some of us) spend $ 10-12 on seeds imported from Europe , we “Mac Guyver” remedies to resolve problems rather than spend $7 on a proven and Organic safe product.

3 Likes

yeah i feel ya on this one - I can’t believe my own reaction to the seeds and the fact that i thought i did such a great job weeding out the males and females on my first grow- then to have these pretty nice size buds growing and i thought all that was over with ( the checking the sex) untill i spotted yellow flowers tiny little opened yellow flowers growing IN MY BUDS… What is this? and closer look found Seeds already growing so i have no idea what REALLY happened but I’ve narrowed it down to Dark time disruptions and high tent temps. remedied it going on my second run :slight_smile: better and known genetics this time and its in MJ’s hands haha we will see. sorry to hear about your broken limb and hermies - hope you got your light secured now :wink:

1 Like

This cracked me up so hard ( the chickens ) I too had chickens ( my gateway to breaking the law as its against code here lol ) I can just picture that chicken running sideways!!! Im On the floor :heart_eyes: Thanks ( sorry they got to your plant tho lol)

1 Like

I dropped it while adding a extra light. I look at it like this I don’t have to buy seeds for a while !lol they were ILGM seeds so they are of good stock JUST WASN’T PART OF PLAN!!

1 Like

I also know what you mean about feeling confident - I was feeling soooooo proud of myself until the hermie incident lol its going down in my Life history as… " dun dun dun… “The Hermie Incident” haha now i am obsessive about my plants and i thank them daily when they look great and i cheer them on when they oh i dunno look pale or something… haha xo

@gpitel, we NAMED our seedling. Lol, and we talk to it every day, and ask how its doing, and tell it nice things, like “you’re a good little seedling, yes you are, grow up big and strong now, we know you can!” heh, heh, heh.

4 Likes

Watching them hurt my baby made me mad but when it took off sideways and fell over was almost worth it almost … It’s funny now thinking about it now I wonder what it would have tasted like all filled up on my sweet flowers .

1 Like