Dry Ice CO2 Generator

I apologize if this isn’t posted where it should be, this is my first post. I just thought I’d show off my make-shift CO2 generator using dry ice. You can buy dry ice for about $1.50/lb at walmart and I thought it might be a decent source of CO2.

I’m open to comments and questions because I don’t remember seeing someone else try this so I figure it’s either an uncommon good idea or otherwise maybe it’s a bad idea and that’s why people don’t do this.

How it works: The main chamber holding the dry ice is a vacuum insulated growler with a line running to an water airlock and another line running to a deeper water reservoir for the purpose of pressure regulation. I can control the flow of air going through the airlock and any excess pressure gets blown through the deep reservoir.

Like I said this is my first post so please be kind.

Thanks!

TLDR: Made a co2 generator with an insulated growler and two water bottles of varying heights for flow/pressure regulation. Please tell me what you think.

5 Likes

I love science experiments and making things. Very cool. Welcome

2 Likes

Totally cool! The question is does it make enough ppm to really do anything more than just a standard air intake would supply?

3 Likes

Fortunately it appears I’m able to get the ppm up to virtually whatever I want, it got up to 3000ppm on accident when I walked away for a while so I’ll have to do some fine tuning with the flow control knob on the gang valve. But I’m happy to announce it seems relatively stable now!

TL1g

Apologies on the quality of this baby, if there’s a better way to post personal videos I’m all ears.

Anyways here’s the 3000 ppm spike. Interesting to see how the plant reacted!

5 Likes

I’ve been coached that the added co2 is only effective in a super tightly controlled environment that is pushing the pants really hard on lights and nutes. Congrats on the engineering!

People with more experience might be able to bring real answers.

4 Likes

This is correct. CO2 can only be effective in a closed environments with very intense lighting and nute levels must be maintained at a high level without burning the plants.

CO2 levels above 1,500 PPM can be downright dangerous. Please be careful.

4 Likes

I’ll find the science behind this interesting. But I don’t think that’s a level I’ll ever want to play at.

1 Like

The CO2 gen. is cool but I am more interested in getting dry ice at walmart. Surprisingly, I do have a walmart near me. I want dry ice for bubble bag ice hash. How do you go about buying it? Do you need to order it? Is it in store? What dept? Any guidance will help. Thanks

3 Likes

I Googled dry ice in your area and there are numerous sources. Just show up with a cooler and pay for what you get: easy.

2 Likes

I’ve heard pushing 1200-2000 ppm is where it’s at and I’ve also heard the benefits drops off after 1500. I’ve read that plants don’t even bother using more CO2 if the temp and lighting isn’t pushed to the max, though the nutes is new to me yet makes perfect sense. It seems like I get some good growth spurts at 1500ppm while using a 1000w equivalent blurple LED light about 24 inches and using Rapid Start by General Hydroponics, Hydroguard by Botanicare, along with Big Bloom and Grow Big by Fox Farm. All at suggested doses.

1 Like

I just walk up to the customer service counter and ask for it. I’ve read that you can go to just about any grocery store and buy it. I actually didn’t realize until I went to walmart for it that they had a full blown Dry Ice Cooler in the customer service area, but it’s usually locked and requires a manager with a key.

Also, they just sold it to me in a couple bags for insulation but you’ll definitely want to bring a good cooler to keep it longer.

1 Like

Two thoughts from my perspective:

I use Fox Farm nutes too, but the FF suggested schedule often leads to nute burn. I only run 1/3 of the recommended dose (without CO2.)

1000W burples really only put out maybe 200w of quality lighting. The claims these manufacturers are not valid and they manipulate the Amazon reviews. I bought a burple when I first started growing again. I wrote a bad review and the company contacted me and offered me money ($50 USD) to take my review down.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy about the amazon light. Unfortunately I have an amazon blurple led, but I get a general sense that it puts out a lot of light because I absolutely fried my previous seedling with it previously, then again it was just a seedling. Good to know about the fox farm products, I’ve heard before that their stuff is pretty strong so I’ll have to watch closely with the balance of co2, nutes, lighting, and temp.