Donald's Super Skunk Seed starting

Thanks as I know you’re busy today :grimacing: and I’m a gal who likes getting my hands dirty! What about my diluting my ProMix?

5 Likes

you could simply add straight peat moss to mix soil then add perolite after

3 Likes

Sorta like making a weak or strong margarita :grimacing:. Thanks.

4 Likes

A big tarp and 5 gal buckets works really well. Dump all ingredients on tarp mix with shovel(flat one) some and shovel into one pile on one side. Then fill five gal bucket up and dump them in pile on other side. Do this until u think its good then do it a few more. If not mixed good u could get real hit spots that burn and kill roots. And then i aways lile to go threw it with my bare hands at the end and double check for clumps or big pieces. Hope this helps. I mix soils alot and found this to work best for me.

4 Likes

I bought a used cement mixer for $30 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would go that route except I only keep few plants in dirt mostly hydro
Sorry guys will be away from office today making 12hr round trip to resupply my uncle who got caught with 1/4lb on his way home so I am dropping off this time and visiting then turning around

4 Likes

Tired was a long drive was low visiblelity most of trip back which added an hour to return time and some very tired eye’s this morning sore arms from white knuckling all the way home lmao. Next time misses stays home so I can rest instead of having to turn around so fast

6 Likes

lol was basically a free road trip scored a Jack-post and some Halibut for the drive had my boss message me as I got there looking for an oz and butter roflmao had to tell him the uncle scooped him :slight_smile: Today will bring him some butter but the uncle pretty much cleaned out my non personal in less than a week

5 Likes

Time for a couple update pictures :slight_smile:

Remember these seeds are not being spoiled in anyway just popped and thrown into space with my other plants in survive or die fashion :wink: So if you notice my RH is 40% but varies form 30-40% temps from 65-80f my thinking is to force plant to adapt to my space rather than adapting my space to the plant at 11 days since soak they are doing quite well and having mostly acclimatized to my space will start to pick up growth rate. I have not watered misted or basically done anything accept watch transplant aside and will leave them in current pots for another week or so by which point I expect they will be ready

11 Likes

Today’s update 12hrs no dome and with fan RH 27-34% I would say they are officially out of fragile stage :wink: will give them another week then give a light feed but that’s far enough away on to next part of thread

• Rockwool
  • Promix
  • Peat

0 voters

I have Bubblegum beans which medium shall we start them in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have 2 seeds soaking same as above in thread so will be closing poll by noon or so tomorrow

1 Like

So we have it then Promix it is :wink: seeds have soaked and sunk in RO water for around 16hr’s I had anticipated the outcome some so picked up some small 2oz plastic cups will punch some holes in and lightly pack them with Promix HP-M

5 Likes

There is only one major difference in using soil over Rapid Rooters I rinse flush Promix before adding seeds hence the small containers. They are easy to flush and moisten but won’t retain much water easily dry out within a few days even at room temp so hard to over water. This is a huge factor a seedling can be drowned easily so the larger the pot the longer it will take to dry and the easier it is to overwater. I have placed seeds 1/4-1/2" into medium and covered I should see sprouts within a next 2-3 days maybe earlier? soon as they pop will once again place in mother space giving them good light right away

7 Likes

I’ve used your technique of transplanting up to allow a proper watering interval and it’s ideal.

1 Like

So lets break it down in steps
#1 find space for seedlings: make sure you are ready don’t just start them with no plan :slight_smile:
#2 pick a medium almost all steps taken after are the same from one medium to the next.
#3 Soak or Germ seeds: this is a personal preference but should be done with fresh clean water either way
#4 Plant seeds cracked or soaked in a moist medium not soaking!
#5 Place planted seeds in warm place covered to hold moisture on a router cablebox PC amp or heating pad what have you warmth mimics sun on ground.
#6 Ignore them if there’s condensation they have water simple

#7 Congrats they’ve sprouted give them light but not too much CFL t5 LED or HID at a distance.
#8 monitor make sure they don’t dry out get too cold or too hot
#9 ready for transplant pick a container if they are still small then just upsize pot enough you still can easily dry every 3-4 days in open air. This is usually at 3rd node with an auto you may wait slightly longer since you can’t move them too often

9 Likes

@Terra-cotta figure will tag you in as may be some tidbits here for you

3 Likes

Soaking water must be warm. I killed 6 seeds over the year

Rarely an issue since use RO and soak becomes room temp within hour or so I plant 2-3 seeds at a time and only ever really need 1 to start extra is always for off chance they don’t both sprout. Point of soak is to soften shell and hydrate seed once they sink they are ready to plant the dark warm moist soil is where magic happens not the soak, the soak cuts day or 2 off sprouting time since would take seed time to hydrate just in dirt. Paper towel method does same thing just gives visual confirmation of root before planting increases odds of damage contaminating and or stressing during planting. Not saying it doesn’t work just that I don’t germ seeds for my garden and plants still sprout

4 Likes

If ambient temp is 60f then your glass has cold water in it

1 Like

Lol I expect that would be the case and good point my glass sat on my desk all night I strongly suspect it stayed closer to 70f

2 Likes