Curing screw up?

I think I dried my girls too long !
They are so dry and crispy !
One plant about 3 ft tall only yield wax 3/4 of an ox !
I thought it would scale out at minimum around 4 to 5 ounces !
I hung them upside down in the grow room which was at @ 80* F and RH around 40%
Harvested then two weeks ago
What did I do wrong ?
I think I got the grow right but I really screwed up on curing, cause I feel I lost massive weight due to over drying !
What is the best way to cure the girls and preserve the weight and density of the buds ?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance !1

1 Like

Ideal dry and cure happens at ~60% RH and ~70F. A week to 10 days usually does the trick. Bud is sufficiently dry when the stems bend easily, but do not snap.

6 Likes

This right here. The hotter and dryer the environment, the quicker the plant dries. You want temps closer to 60°f and humidity close to the same. Your numbers are way outta range, sorry to say. 60/60 for 10-14 days. At your numbers, 1 plant would be dry in like 3 or 4.

6 Likes

60% rh 60% temp is the golden rule for dry. And theyre ready when they do snap and dont tear off the stem. Generally around 10% to 12% moisture if you have moisture meter. And normally takes about 10 to 12 days. If its too dry just toss a fresh leaf in the jar over night.

3 Likes

Any way to regain some lost weight on the buds ?

1 Like

“ Fresh leaf in the jar”
You lost me
I hung them upside down in my grow room on an improvised clothes line !

2 Likes

You can add some moisture back by putting some apple peel or lettuce leaves in a bag with the bud. Don’t leave the leaves or peel in there too long though. It can add too much moisture.

1 Like

What are you planning to cure them in? I use Grove Bags and have success bringing back the terpine profile and better bud quality after a few weeks curing :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

The cure is equally important.

3 Likes

You can place a damp, not wet, double/ triple layer of paper towel over a mason jar and screw on the lid. Keep a damp paper towel on until the Rh gets up.

1 Like

Im sure there will be some halitosis jokes but you can also simply breathe into your jar when curing to raise the rh.

3 Likes

Sounds like this is your first grow and you got surprised by how much the bud shrinks when dried. You lose about 80% of what it weighed when you chopped

5 Likes

I have to dry in simular temps. Using a moisture meter i get 5/6 days on adv at that temp. If you can try drying whole plant as opposed to cutting colas off.this can slow down dry a bit. Mind you this is just drying…curing is quite diff. After dry to my satisfaction (11/13% moisture content) then i put in GROVE BAGS to cure for 2 months.

7 Likes

I would be more concerned with taste and smell than bud weight with an aggressive dry. We all want max yield, but it doesn’t matter much if the smoke is harsh.

6 Likes

The difference between properly dried and dry like dust would only be a couple of grams per oz. not more than an eighth oz.
This oddball is basically one bud as it is clumped with no stem length. It was about 22 inches or so tall and yielded just over 1 oz. (35g)

Sounds more like you may have harvested too early and/or have insufficient lighting.
Good, tight, heavy buds require average around 35w good quality full spectrum lighting per sq/ft and 8+ weeks of actual flowering time.

1 Like

Viparspectra SP 4000 says 400 watts equivalent and flower stage lasted over 8 weeks
All total plants started last August and were just chopped two weeks ago yesterday !
Grown on 20/4 schedule till Jan 3 then cut back to 18/6 for a month then 12/12. last two weeks before harvest dimmed light to 60% !
Two things I’m sure I did wrong were too many plants for first grow
6 total 4 Grandaddy purp and one white widow and Bruce banner ! All ILGM seeds !
Just ordered new seeds today
Going with 100% Sativa this time
Durban Poison!

1 Like

That should be enough to flower a 2x4 canopy pretty well.

That would be hard to cram into a 2x4 footprint. 2, maybe 3 plants would probably perform nicely under that.

“Shotgun” a few hits into the jar? :smile:

2 Likes

Lol, eww :rofl: i could only imagine that smelling like fresh weed and old bong after cure.

2 Likes

Those “advertisements” cost more than I can share, due to personal blood boiling problem.

@Ebb “speaking” Bong…
I found a friend and explained to her, a clean bong tastes better. Nobody ever told her.

1 Like