Converting to LED from HID and DWC from Soil

Hello Everyone,
I’m getting ready to make the switch to LED lights from HID. I’m currently using a 4x4 tent with a 1000 watt HPS light going, 4 auto flowers with 2-4 weeks left before harvest. This is my 4th grow total, after a long hiatus, and have had success before. Will probably make the switch after harvest to the LEDs (along with a switch to DWC). Sorry for all the lead in, but I’m currently looking between buying a Spider Farmer SF-4000 or two Spider Farmer SF-2000s. I know I will get better coverage with the two lights, but I’m also considering switching later to a system with one light per plant in a 8x8 space, plants each with an LED equivalent of a 1000 watt HID. I know LEDs at this price range won’t get me a full equivalent of a 1000 watt HID, but I want better control of the temperature in my environment. I’m going to be reaching temps close to 100 by harvest with my current situation. I know these are kind of considered “discount” lights but are known to use good diodes and drivers. I’m sure there are alternatives out there as well, which I’m definitely open too. My price range is limited to $500-$800, tho. Thanks anyone for your help, very unsure about LED conversions. One last thing, I’m really not looking to construct my own board with a kit. I really want something plug and play and am willing to pay extra for it

1 Like

Consider the HLG 600 RSPEC.

Lighting experts will be here soon with better info.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

HLG Lightining, I am on my first real grow spent hours of research plus everyone here. Trust you won’t be sorry.

800 will be good for 4by4. I have $836.00 no assembly 2 lights. I bought the 300lr first and was so impressed when the 350r went on sale I had to get it or throw out two girls!

1 Like

If your going to start running dwc or rdwc , you need to get air temps in tent or room down to 75 degrees…
Or invest in a chiller… :man_facepalming::man_shrugging:
If that’s not possible than you should just stick with soil or coco for now…
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

HLG man. Experts will chime in, but just spend the extra if you can and go HLG.

1 Like

Big facts on maintaining room temps so if light costs ain’t breaking you def grab a chiller. No sense in making big moves only to have your water temps in the slums. I’m so grateful I dont need one rn cuz every time I see the price I’m like :expressionless:

3 Likes

It’s not just the lights, it’s in a garage. Very difficult for me to control temps and humidity. I’m moving it inside for my next grow in a room that has a window for an ac. I have a humidifier and dehumidifier but they just don’t cut it in the garage. I really want to be able to control temps and humidity as perfect as possible.

3 Likes

LED lights are the way to go, IMHO. I’m in hydro. I keep my veg room at 65 degrees, and my flower room 75-80 with water chillers. You HAVE to keep your water temperature in check with dwc

1 Like

I’d like to say thank you everyone for all your feedback. Just to say tho, I have done quite a bit of research on DWC and understand the issues with water temp, which is why I said I am moving the grow tent to a more controlled environment. With that being said, I’ve already made the decision to make these switches and I just really want input on LED lights that will produce yields comparable to a 1000 watt hid. All of the DWC stuff will fall into place for me later, this is a year long project I have planned to make the total switch over, so I have plenty of time to get things right for the DWC containers. If temp was my only concern, I’d leave it as is and start pumping Co2 in the tent to pump up my yield. From the people that have replied about lights, it seems like HLG would be the best bang for my buck, and I can get one that will cover 4x4 for just over $800.
On a side note, the tent is currently in my garage so heat is the problem now, but come winter I’d have the opposite issue, hence why I am not just just sticking with soil and going to a generally more controllable environment.

When I bought my HLG, I used the code “dude” for 10% off. Might still be active…

Wishing you the best of luck in your new endeavor!

1 Like

@Firebleazies420
Just assembled a 320 HLG kit…couldn’t be happier. Replacing 1000 watt HID grows good, but, heat and power usage was not acceptable…now that LEDs have finally matched the growing market needs. HLG current price is $485. “DUDE” 10% discount code brought it down to $437. If you can put a bicycle together, you can do this kit. But, the small connectors on the board are just a simple push in. Dun try to push the tab down, it might break…or so a “friend” told me… :wink:
The diff tween HID and LED very quickly becomes apparent. Much cooler, n adjustable brightness.
Even just now…I can tell the major diff.
BTW…the customer service with HLG company is awesome n friendly. Fast delivery. Good people to do business with. Thinking about another light later.

2 Likes

I did not go with HLG except for power supply. I built some from, I believe Pacific light, not sure, but had 1000w HPS before. Couldn’t be happier.

1 Like
2 Likes

I built the 660w size. 3 of them. These WILL replace a 1000w HPS.

2 Likes

Decided to go with the HLG 600 Rspec. With all the praise I’ve seen on here and Grasscity about their lights and customer service, once I saw they had affirm financing it was a no-brainer. If I’m happy with this light, will probably end up buying 3 more and converting to an 8x8 or 8x10 tent with 4 plants, one light each and individual plant ScroG. Should be able to get a LB of each plant easy, hopefully lol. Thanks for the tips guys, and the “dude” discount code. I will update this thread if I can remember and it stays active. Bought a Co2 pack to finish out my current set up in the heat so I probably will not be starting on this for at least 3-4 weeks.

3 Likes